• Does anybody know anything about the new rpgs that are out right now?

I just bought Kingdom Hearts 2 which is amazing to say the least.

I was wondering if anybody knows anything about Grandia 3, or Xenosaga 2. I had played the precursers for both of these games and they were good. Also what are some different rpgs that you would recommend.
  • Grandia III is good but it is hard hard, shoot yourself in the face hard. Just don't expect a great story, and turn the volume down a little when some people talk. The battle system is the best one in a long time.

Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose is good, especially if you liked the first one. Battle system is alright, story is interesting. There are fewer FMVs this time around, so more playing the actual game.
  • Grandia 3 is horrid. Very irritating and very hard. I still remember watching my friend throw the controller across the room as she played it. The story isn't that great...could definately be better. And as far as talking..it is like Legend of Dragoon in which you can walk up to any old object and the character will say in a very enthusiastic voice what that object is.

Xenosaga 2 is good from what I've heard. The only thing about that game is that you do one task and then have about 10 minutes of movie scenes. :g: Not really exactly a challenge for anything in my opinion..and thus not a great RPG.

I do hear that Star Ocean 3 is good. Might check that out.
  • QUOTE(RedKenny @ Jun 21 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]66085[/snapback]

I do hear that Star Ocean 3 is good. Might check that out.
    [/b]

Don't be mislead. While having good longitivity, it's really repetative. The battle system is horrible! And the field screens have bad camera angles and after a few hours into the game, you start being asked to backtrack to places which names you can't remember, or location. The world is huge in this game, but without any decent map or journal system, getting lost is a constant problem in the game.

A game I seriously recommend against. :pooh:
  • What about Mangacerta? I looked at the box in ebgames today and it looks amazing. Made by Atlus too.

Also what about Digital Devil 1 and 2 and also Romancing Saga?
  • Okay, I should probably add a correction here. I would edit my post, but I'm not sure if any of you all would read it.

The game I mistook for Grandia 3 was actually an RPG called Artemias or something like that. It starts with an A. :blink:

I did, however, take a look at Grandia 3 today and from what I saw, the movie scenes seem to be mostly a dysfuctional type of thing like a soap opera.

Hmmm can't really think of anything more right off the bat.
  • Magna Carta is a port of a low budget PC game created by a Korean developer called Softmax, published in Japan by Banpresto, a fully owned subsidiary of Namco Bandai. That was the good part of the game.... ^^;; So, no.... I recommend against getting this game. I heart me some Atlus, but this one was a poor choice sadly.

Digital Devil Saga is an awesome series if you can find it. It's not as tough as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne that was released shortly before it in North America, but it can get challenging at points. Just be sure to keep well-rounded characters and this game will be very enjoyable. The story, the music, the characters, the eating of humans..... Ah yes, this is a game made of win AND God.

Romancing SaGa is a bit meh IMO, but it's a love it or hate it game. Some people will enjoy it thoroughly, while others will not be able to get through it. At a lower price, though..... I recommend at least giving it a try. You never know if you will or won't like it.

About Grandia III: It's not a bad game, but it's not a great game either. The game is average and it is noticeable. Parts are really enjoyable, while other parts are tedious. Anyone that plays the game will notice that it is an unforgiving game. Don't take normal battles for granted or you will be dead in a matter of moments.

Right now, I'm playing Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga for the GBA on my DS Lite. Now, this is quite enjoyable. Not for everyone, of course, but it's a fun game that is challenging, but not too much so that younger players can't get into it. Anyway, this has nothing to do with your game question, so I'll take my leave now. ^_^
  • Haven't played any recent Playstation RPG's. Champions of Norath is the last PS2 game I've played and thats two years old now.

I have however been playing Oblivion on the PC with is an awesome game :notworthy: You need some reasonably high PC specs however to appreciate the game at it's best. Definatly the best fantasy FPS (first person slasher/spellcaster ;) ) RPG on the market to date :punk:
  • Anybody bought/played FFVII Dirge of Cerberus yet?
  • QUOTE(SpeedDemon @ Jul 16 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]66954[/snapback]

Anybody bought/played FFVII Dirge of Cerberus yet?
    [/b]

Well, it doesn't release in North America until August . For those unaware, I do work for RPGamer and one of the guys there has played and confirmed crappiness. This won't stop me from buying it and enjoying it on its own merits, but that's basically the sum of the feelings on the game coming out of Japan.
  • Oh, lol. I was almost certain I saw it in an ebgames that I was in a week or so ago. It didn't look like just a preview box or anything either :g: . Oh well, that just gives me a little time to save some $$ so I can get it.