Spelling Bee
  • I don't have English as my native tounge, but I manage.
    There are however a bunch of words that I always seem to spell wrong. I was thinking that ya'll could halp me come up with some easy to remember rules about these words, and maybe add your own misspelled ones.
    Dictionaries in all honour but I havn't got time to look through one every time I write something.

Ok here is the list, and I've added some rules that I thought of as I wrote this.

I mix this one up with prehaps
    If you make a sharper R sound you can probably tell which one sounds more correct.

OK, that's all for now. Help me out with these will you and I'll add more as I come to think of them.

• Particular

This is one of those words where a defintion helps with spelling;

# Of, belonging to, or associated with a specific person, group, thing, or category; not general or universal: has a particular preference for Chinese art.
    # Separate and distinct from others of the same group, category, or nature: made an exception in this particular case.

You can derive "Part" from these definitions and that should stop you from spelling it "pert".

I had an exhange student from Denmark who I told to use the word "end" as a guide, "one n in "end" one n in finish."

Though, thought and tough

These are easy, to know what sound to use, simply look at the start of the word if it starts with a "Th" then the gh carries the sound of the "ou" to get the "owe" or "oar" sound eg. Th-owe (Though), Th-oar-t (thought). Without the "Th" however, the "gh" takes over and makes the "uff" sound Tou-uff, more simply "Tuff" as it is spelt on some crappy cleaning products.

No one, None

Noone isnt a proper word, no.

No one means there is nobody or requires a pre-answered question, None, means there isnt any of something.

No one can be used in two ways.

1. No one came, and

2. No one rabbit/person/hairstyle looks the same.

If you simply say "No one is here" it is reffering specifically to people.

Using "None" you can say 'I have none' or 'There are none' to show that there isnt any of an object or the pre-metioned item.
    Eg. Can I have a biscuit? "There are none" or "How many people are at your party" "None" Basically can be used in replacment for the word "Zero".

Split this one into two parts. Per and Haps

Per = According to
    haps = derived from happening

Perhaps = According to happening ie. It may happen accordingly. Or simpler, Maybe; possibly.

Hope that helps, if it makes no sense, sorry man!
  • Er in regards to Noone, it IS actually a word. Well in England it is anyway. Meaning, like already been said, is e.g. Noone came to Sarah's party

Er, one that I had trouble with for ages is Necessary. Dunno if you have trouble with that, but I never learnt a rule for it, I HAD to learn how to spell it.

• English (UK) and English (AU) are the same arent they? Correct me if Im wrong but noone is just an incorrect way to spell no one... a common mistake sometimes.

I dont think its even possible for it to be a word, as if it were common speech would have it pronouced "noon".
  • I have found a great place on this topic.

Common Errors In English

They say that noone is incorrect.

The purpose of this thread isn't about explaining in a textbook manner how to spell correctly, it is about making easy to remember rules of thumb so that you can get past that spiffic word you never seem to spell right or always feel uncertain about. :)

Jay, I would try to remember that the two o's of no one are pronounced differently (at least I pronounce them differently) and therefor they should be separated.

Your rules were great but the ones on "though..." and "perhaps" are too complicated. They don't work too well on me.
  • Manne, maybe I can help a bit with those "ough" words. Let me try this on ya:

If your "ough" word ends in a 't', then the vowel sound will usually sound like "awe" (as in "thought" and "brought")

If your "ough" word starts with a SINGULAR consonant and has no consonant at the end, then you'll usually have the "uff" sound that Lethal mentioned, like in the word "tough", wish sounds like "tuff".

If your "ough" word starts with a double consonant, like "th", with no consonant at the end, then your "ough" sound will usually sound like "oh", as in "though" or "thorough".

These rules apply most of the time, however there are always exceptions to the rules, which is what makes the English language such a PITA. For example, the word "dough"... single consonant at the start, however the "ough" sound sounds like 'oh'. That "ough" sound is a tough (tuff) one to deal with!!!

I hope this helped ya some, but if not, then I will remind you to smack me next time you see me! :devilish:
  • The ones that always get me are

there, their, where, were, wear

When writing i know when to use which one (wear = clothes, there = place etc) but with my accent when i say them they all sound the same and i get into bother off this off my boss. And if im not concentrating i tend to write how i talk which means i will end up using the wrong one

Writing how i speak makes me mess quite a few things actually - Maybe i should learn to talk quite posh
  • Talk posh? And be called a snob? I wouldn't if I was you.
    Too many snobs in the world already, AND most of them started out with next to nothing and only married into money so they try to hide their past by talking posh and acting like snobs.
    It's a well known FACT :blink:
  • QUOTE(oddish182000 @ Jul 31 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]67503[/snapback]

The ones that always get me are

there, their, where, were, wear

Geez luweez oddy!! Have you not read goldy-locks and the three "theres"?? :D It was a cheapo story my english teacher read to my class in 7th grade and that story has gotten me through many "there" problems. If you want I could probably send you the story via PM if I can Google it.

The problem word I can think of right now is that if I am not thinking about what I'm writing, I will mispell "phone" and put "fone". This isn't because I am dimwitted or having a brainlapse. It's mainly just a mixup from writing in spanish all those years and getting used to spelling word phonetically.

One other word I could think up off the top of my head would be "beautiful". Used to mispell this word all the time till my mom told me of this little trick to remember:

Beau-a nickname you use for your sig other
    plus "ti"
    Ful-having much of an object

Doesn't make sense dictionary wise, but it's certainly kept me from mispelling things.

Am I answering this thread correctly?

And by the way, noone is not correct. "No one" is; "none" is, but not noone.
    "None" as I was taught was pretty much how Lethal was taught. None is a synonym for "Not one" and be careful and know that the word "None" is a singular word. So instead of saying "None are" you would say "None is".

Anyone know how to tell the difference between

• Everyone's ganging up on me...it's..not...fair... :crybaby:
    Anyway, the alright all right thing I could probably answer but can't think off the top of my head. Maybe later :g: soz
  • Instead of saying "The constant blackouts had a negative effect on her gaming" you can say "The constant blackouts affected her gaming in a negative way"

To affect is in other words to produce an effect, sort of a short version. It probably has to do something with how the agent in the sentance is used but we don't care about that now do we?

Alright is the same as all right, just as although, already, altogether are short for there all -whatever.
    The thing about alright is that it is formally incorrect so if you are writing a formal paper stick to all right whilst if you are just communicating in text it's fine to use alright.
  • We were taught i before e, except after c. As in the word receive for example. The problem with this is that there are many words that are the other way, such as piece. Time to toss out that rule I would say.
    Another problem is the large number of words with silent letters. Quaint but undoubtably frustrating to someone trying to learn the language. For some words the differentiation is helpful, as in the words taught and taut. Both sound exactly the same but have very different meanings. There are others however that could benefit from updating, such as phone, as referenced by Melinda. Time to put an F in there I say.