• I am so gonna buy one of them wireless thingies as soon as we moved. Problem is I don't really know what I am looing for. So if any one would please give me the rundown I would be greatful.

I've already talked to a guy at work and he recommended a specific brand and a model which an other guy told is crap since two of his (routers, are they called?) had broken down on him.

• The best thing to do is to ask an expert, which I am in no means saying I'm one.
    The best thing is to send an email to the PC World webstaff or something similar.
    I er presume you have a version of PC World where you live. If not in your exact town then there must be some big Nationwide computer chain similar to PC World.
    If so, just find their website by searching on the net, provided you don't already know the web address of course, and then just email their questions people with the type of thing you're looking for and they SHOULD be able to recommend a few for you to choose from. Then just have a look on their site at those particular ones and choose which one sounds the best for what you wanna do.
    Hope that helps a little Mann

• Is this going to be used mainly for a desktop or notebook computer? Also, can you remember which brand/model you were told was good by one and crap by another?

Whichever way it is you will need a wireless router. Two of the top brands are D-Link and Linksys. I use the D-Link DI-514 (a rather inexpensive 802.11 B standard router, bought mainly for PSP connectivity) and haven't had any problems. Prices have been coming down lately so you can probably find one that uses the faster 802.11 G standard at close to what I paid for mine.

If your computer doesn't have it built in you will also need a wireless ethernet card to let your PC connect to the router. For laptops this will be a PCMCIA card. While it's not necessary it sometimes makes things easier to go with the same brand on both the router and the card.

Going by my experience with the routers i would suggest going with a D-Link brand. The DI-524 is a good inexpensive router which should fit your needs. You'll see alongside the description there one of their wireless cards that works well with it.
  • If you may want to use your router to play video games online (xbox live or the new free playstation3 network) make sure you get one that has been made for the job.

The xbox live compatible routers are here:

Theory says if it works for live, it will work on the PS3

Oh yeah... make sure its capable of 802.11G if you are thinking of wireless gaming too.
  • Great to see so many swift replies.
    OK, here is the setup.

I wanna surf on my laptop wireless.
    I am currently using a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S7020, I also have an old pentium (don't know prestanda and it's in a bag but I got it for free from a relative some 2 years ago so you go figure, it can run Windows XP however). In the future I may purchase a mac-laptop for the missus, but that's undecided on as of now.

I do not intent to play online games, of any kind other than the ones offered in the ACi arcade.

I can't really ask an expert in a magazine since I don't know about any magazines dealing with this, I don't have time right now to search for them and I don't know what I need.
    On that last point I was hoping you guys could help out, what do I need?

The router I got recommended was the D-link DI-624+ AIRPLUS XTREME G ROUTER 802.11G but as I said the other guy (who also knows a bit about this stuff) had two breakdowns on with that brand.

What I am curious about is all these abreviations.
    I've learned that the letter (G in this case) has to do with security levels or something, the higher the letter the better, I need to have a secure connection as I will be hadling classsified data on the laptop in my work. (And the first step of having a secure connection tested would naturally be telling people in a forum that you store secret stuff on your compy :laugh: ).

Looking at an ad for the said D-link device I read
    NAT Yes
    DHCP Yes
    DMZ Yes
    WPA Yes

What this means I have no idea but I would like to find out, in laymans terms if possible.

And some info about speeds which is important since I will be handling large files but I wont be able to reach 10 Mbit with my new connection so that won't matter really.

So, do you have any additional pointers or things I should know about?

• NAT stands for "Network Address Translation". All this does is let your devices be represented on the web by a single DNS address (namely the router's). Not a big deal to worry about.

DCHP is "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol". What this means is if you have more than one device connecting to the router (say your laptop and a PSP as an example) things can be set up to give each thing a certain IP address each time to let it get online. It's a good idea to avoid any conflicts.

DMZ- The "Demilitarized Zone". This will not be of much use for you. This lets you have a computer sit outside the protected area to catch and handle the requests coming in.

WPA is "Wi-Fi Protected Access"- in other words, encryption. If you don't want anyone else freeloading on your wireless you can have this turned on and anything you want to have access will be set up with a password it gives the router. I can't see this being something totally necessary for you unless you have some sensitive stuff on there like credit card numbers, bank info, p***, etc. ;)

That D-Link DI-624 will do the job just fine- i think your friend that had the problems with it may have been doing some things wrong (or trying to push sales to a personal preference of his).

The G, B, etc. at the end of the 802.11 isn't security but speed. 802.11 B goes at about 11 MB/sec while 802.11 G is faster, about 54 MB/sec. B has a greater range, however, and doesn't have as much of a problem with interference going through walls or other obstructions. For what you say you plan on doing (basic web surfing, e-mail, etc.) a wireless B router would suffice but it doesn't hurt to have more than necessary for future use (one never knows, after all).

Now then, do you have a wireless card in that laptop now to let it online wirelessly? If not i would say get one also made by D-Link for ease of compatibility. You can also get routers bundled with a USB dongle that would let your computer online also. Go with whichever is easiest for you.
  • That's great info Lyn, thanks.
    I think I got the hang of it now.
    I'll have to check out the difference in price and check the wallet too.
  • I've had dealings in the past settig up BELKIN hardware and had no problems with it & the connection through the wireless is so good I can pick up my friends wireless connection on my system.

Personally I'm using NETGEAR WG111T Wireless and is good for the PS2 as a hardwire net connection. Double Firewall hardware and is compatible with all antivirus,spam & spyware programs so it can controll all security programs & hardware through 1 router