• For those of you whom aren't familiar with the term placed in the title it was an exclamation usually said by a famous croc hunter, Steve Irwin.

Steve Irwin passed away today.
    Steve Irwin suffered a stingray stinger to the heart. Apparently the stinger went right through his chest whil he was recorded at Batt Reef, off the remote resort town of Port Douglas in northeastern Queensland state.

I figured in memory of Labor Day weekend here in the USA it would be an indignity to not recognize all the labor he put into bringing humans closer and closer to wildlife. Not to mention, also teaching us facinating things about crocodiles through his laborous job.

Rest In Peace Steve Irwin.
    You shall not be forgotten.
    :crybaby:
  • What a sad turn of events. I grew up loving his show and watched it all the time with my parents.

The worst part is, Terry his wife still doesn't know he is dead. She is currently hiking in the mountains of Tazmania. The whole world knows what happened and she doesn't have any idea whats going on. I can't imagine what it will be like for her when she finds out.
  • What surprises me is the fact that something like this didn't happen to him sooner. He always took too many chances, it seems, when coming up close to dangerous animals.
  • Unfortunately, one of things he'll be remembered for was when he dangled a baby over a crocodile. The man took too many chances with wildlife, although he did entertain millions while doing it. I'm sure he probably saw and did more than most will ever in their lifetime and it's a shame his life was cut short. I guess he died doing what he loved so there is some consolation in that.
  • QUOTE(lyndon @ Sep 5 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]68375[/snapback]

What surprises me is the fact that something like this didn't happen to him sooner. He always took too many chances, it seems, when coming up close to dangerous animals.
    [/b]

Thats exactly what i said - At least he went out doing something he loved - and what he did for the environment and conservation is amazing

RIP
  • He was an amazing bloke with a huge zest for life. Most of the money he made from his appearances, documentries etc etc were ploughed back into conservation projects. He bought vast areas of wilderness in various parts of the globe for the purpose of conserving what's there.

I guess it's easy to think "that was bound to happen", but the reality is that this was a freak accident. Crocs and snakes do kill people here is Oz but there have only ever been two recorded deaths by stingrays which isn't much considering how common they are.

Australia has lost a true genuine ambassador to this country. Although he has for a while now been considered an unofficial ambassador, the government were going to make it official towards the end of the year. Saddly this will never happen. :( :( :(

On a related note.... There's always someone trying to make a quick buck out someone's demise. Here at work we had a number of customers trying to order CRIKEY as a number plate (car number plate) with the intention of selling it to the highest bidder. Very poor taste...
  • Was gutted when I heard of this, a real shame.
    Apparently he was just observing the animal this time too, not p**sing it off as usual, what a shambles :(

On topic...
    http://www.sorethumbsonline.com/comics/st20060906.gif
    ^_^
  • Yeah, for younger people such as myself, this is one of the first times that a beloved icon that's been around for our whole lives has passed away suddenly like this. Honestly, I was hit pretty hard by it, the day it happened; I had a good day, but nothing was all that nifty when I'm sitting there thinking about how the Croc Hunter's actually -dead-. No more Croc Hunter. Very depressing. :-/

Also, I'll re-iterate the people who have mentioned how freak of an accident this was. Stingray barbs are the things that make you go 'ow, what the frig just stung my foot?' not 'OH GOD, CALL 911!'. The barb went between his ribs and straight into his heart; a complete fluke. Unfortunately, though, even the weak neurotoxin that a stingray barb carries is more than enough to screw up one's heart. Even if a little hole in the heart isn't bad enough, the poison was sure to do a number.

I hope the best for his wife and kids, but I know that he'll be well-remembered for ages and ages to come, not only by me, but by...well...pretty much everyone. If ever there were a strong personality, it'd be him.

R.I.P. Steve.
  • I read today that he is going to be buried at his zoo in australia - which i guess is a fitting tribute - I really hope his wife and kids find comfort in this and that sometime they will be able to carry on with the conservation work he used to do
  • QUOTE(chargerfanchs @ Sep 5 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]68378[/snapback]

Unfortunately, one of things he'll be remembered for was when he dangled a baby over a crocodile. [/b]

I am saddened by the loss of Steve Irwin..... He was a wild kinda guy in the way he took on all those wild aminals, but he did take things a little to far... like when he was feeding that crocodile and holding his baby son in the other hand. That wasn't such a bright ideal.

I did like him and did watch him!

Rest in Peace Steve..................