• Is anyone up for this? Tiff is working so am all on my lonesome. Will probably have to mooch on MSN as the chat thing has vanished off here.

Anyone interested??
  • What time were you looking at for this, Jane? My weekend is going to be busy up to about 4 PM my time (would be 7 pm for you). Maybe somewhere around 8 PM your time would be good?

BTW, we do have the IRC channel that Billy made awhile back (if it hasn't de-registered by now), details are in the squad area someplace.
  • 8pm sunday sounds like a plan - but am free all weekend

See if anyone else is interested and will have a look about where to have it.

Dont forget your chocolate fountain!!
  • I could probably do it if it was before 12 noon PST, but I don't have an account on MSN. I"ve been trying to log in nonstop and it keeps telling me there's a newer version or anything. Arg...

Maybe we could use AIM?!?:)
  • I don't have AIM :(, I did have a yahoo one but cant for the lifew of me remember any of the login stuff. Don't even think it is on this machine anymore
  • Oh boo. MSN is retarded over here. It's been 48 hours and I haven't recieved any emails to my email so I'm bitter.:mad:
  • Well, I did a check and Billy's IRC channel works fine. Would you be able to use that? The server is irc.esper.net and the channel name is #absolute-community.
  • yeah lynny - just let us know what we have to do
  • Well, you'll need a program for accessing IRC such as mIRC or IceChat (or use the Chatzilla extension if you use Firefox). Once fired up just enter the command /server irc.esper.net to connect to the server.

From there type /join #absolute-community to go into the channel. Once you do get there you'll see yourself listed as a guest. Type /nick followed by the name you want to change to that name.

It's really a very simple things once you have a few of the basic commands.
  • w00t! I'm in folks!!
    I'm waiting:D
  • So where was everyone? I came in a bit after the time I suggested and no onen was there.:(
  • It took me ages to get the thing working about 8pm my time and i thought it wasnt woirking as noone was there. Tried again at 9pm - but same thing

jiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmm - can we have our chatroom back soon??
  • If my thoughts are correct for time zones and the like...

I was in there until 8 Pm your time oddy. No one was in there and I had to get to work:( Sowwy.
  • I spent a couple of hours working on it Jane, and the software works really really well on here, but sadly there are way too many sites that are being hacked and deleted because of the vulnerabilities of the software.

Its just too big a risk at this time to add it back into the site.

You should all install TRILLIAN, it allows you to chat with people on AOL, MSN and YAHOO !

Cerulean Studios: Creators of Trillian and Trillian Pro Instant Messengers (You want the free Trillian Basic 3)
  • yep, Trillian is a good choice for handling all your IM needs and can even be used to access the IRC channel.

BTW, Jane, you may not be seeing me on the MSN much because you are looking at an old contact i don't use any more. May want to update your list a bit. :rolleyes:
  • I've come up with (I think) an easy solution for a chat. I've registered a channel over at an IRC service that has a java chat applet on their site (which makes for no security issues here). Here is what the applet looks like:

You don't have to register a name with them but for the sake of modding the channel it would be great if the squad members (if they wanted to) would do so- members can't be permanently opped if not registered. It's free and only takes a few seconds to do using the account registration link at the top of the applet page.

To change your name to your forum name in the chat just click in the "change nick to" blank in the low right corner, type your name and hit the enter key.

You can get to it by clicking here. The chat will open in a new browser window and take you directly to the channel. For those with IRC clients already you can connect to the server irc.esper.net and join channel #absoluteplaystation.
  • I've stickied this thread so it won't get lost. Let's try to get these weekend chats going folks! :)
  • hello guys im new to the members hows it going? ^^
  • Going well, glad to have you here on the forums!
  • sup people um do u mean we talk on cell phone? wouldn't that be alot of money well i am new and i don't know nething about these stuff
  • argh is this dangerous?
  • At one point we had a flash-based chat room on here as part of the forums but was shut down due to security problems. A bit later I had set up a channel on IRC to try to use for the chats but it looks like not many went to it and that channel is no longer registered.

So, for now, we have no way of doing live chats other than getting together for a group chat on an instant messenger like Yahoo or AIM. Only problem there is some people don't have certain messengers and have no plans to do so.
  • Yeah the old live chats were stuff of legends adn a great way of getting to know members!!

All i want for xmas santa jim is somewhere to chat to my buds - please pretty please?
  • Jane S STAFF said:
    Yeah the old live chats were stuff of legends adn a great way of getting to know members!!

All i want for xmas santa jim is somewhere to chat to my buds - please pretty please?

Jim, being big in red with a white beard eating cookies & drinking milk, going HO HO HO as he tries to get down Chimneys and doing magical stuff. HECK! that's just him every day trying to get into the office! :p

Ever thought of setting up a VOIP system? Chatrooms are nice, you meet allsorts ;)
  • Jane S STAFF said:
    Yeah the old live chats were stuff of legends adn a great way of getting to know members!!

Ah, so you wouldn't appreciate me buying you and Tiff his and her memory cards?:p

Hahah. Just kidding! I would really like a livechat for christmas too.*hint*:)
  • Hello everybody...
  • At the forum I moderate, We have a shoutbox that sits on the main page of the forum. It's like a live chat, except the whole forum can participate. It works really well, and it gets everyone talking to each other. Maybe we could get one here? ;)
  • i think a live chat or again for some of the people here, would be a great idea, for many reasons, yu get to know people a little better, you could ask the little questions that arent worth your time posting. and so on and ect. i would most deffinatly use a live chat if there were one!!
  • sombulus said:
    i think a live chat or again for some of the people here, would be a great idea, for many reasons, yu get to know people a little better, you could ask the little questions that arent worth your time posting. and so on and ect. i would most deffinatly use a live chat if there were one!!

Yeah, it could be open all the time, and could be for forum members only, so you wouldn't have to worry about spammers getting in the chatroom. Plus a chatroom is a more open atmosphere to run your mouth :cool:
  • Hm. I still remember the good old live chat APi used to have. So, anyways, I was just reading through here and I still think that the idea of an IRC channel is the best one as of now.

And, since I'm basically logged on them most of the time, I think it wouldn't be that difficult for me to create the channel and take care of it. Of course that this is just an idea. Anyways, I just want to know if it's okay.
  • Hey, if you've got the means to do it, go right ahead. No one has taken much initiative to try something new around here, so I'd love to see what you can do :)
  • I couldnt get the IRC thingy to work the last time - but im sure we can try and sort something out for a certain weekend if enough folks are interested
  • Jane S STAFF said:
    I couldnt get the IRC thingy to work the last time - but im sure we can try and sort something out for a certain weekend if enough folks are interested

Well, does it have to be an IRC? I mean, couldn't we just find a free chat host and join it one day? That'd be easy enough :)
  • Guess that explains why no one took me up on it when I set the room up awhile back. :(

One thing about free chats is some will close the room once the host (whoever sets it up) leaves, kicking everyone out. Some also require people to register first, which some are maybe not willing to do.

I would prefer to see it in IRC myself- I could lend an assist via instant messenger for anyone having problems. Helps to have a nice, simple client like IceChat or even the Chatzilla plug in for Firefox.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    the Chatzilla plug in for Firefox.

I looked at that on Mozillas site. It looks good, can we try that out?
  • The thing with using IRC is you can use whatever client you like to get to the same place. B)
  • well if someone tells me how to use it and we can set times up when everyone can come then can you sort it lynny?

I miss the old chats!!
  • It's really very simple. I've registered a room to get things going and also let people see results when they try this.

Once your IRC program is up and running type "/server irc.slashnet.org" (just leave the quotes off) . This will connect you to the server that the room is on. Once there type "/join #API" (again, lose the quotes when typing). Voila, you are in the room. B)

Most programs will let you set things up to join a certain server and room automatically to save time messing with these commands. I would easily recommend using either Chatzilla or IceChat (linked to above) for this.
  • Great, I got it up and running just fine :) That was easy. I used Chatzilla Firefox. Nobodys on right now though :eek:. Oh well, I'll check back later.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    Great, I got it up

The jokes just write themselves there. :P

As I said, it's a lot easier than one would think, just a bit of typing. I had been kicking around in there after setting it up but stepped out for dinner.

With the room registered with Slashnet people are able to register their names in there too, handy to keep others from maybe trying to steal names. It's a simple command to type: "/msg nickserv register * **" (you get the idea about the quotes by now ;) ). Replace the first star with a password of your own making and replace the doublestar with your e-mail, leaving a space between the two. The system will then send an e-mail to that address (usually right away) with a command to paste into the chat. Do that and registration is complete.

I'm in the room right now and will have my IRC on most of the evening for anyone that wants to check things out, ask questions about the chat or the site itself, etc.- bar isn't open, though- still waiting for the liquor license approval (frikkin' gov't red tape).
  • We should have scheduled chats, I think. They could be every Friday or Saturday night at a certain time. The timing would be the hard part, as we are located all over the world.

You could post a site calendar at the bottom of the main forum page detailing the scheduled chat dates (Like below the "Birthday announcements") or you could post a forum-wide announcement that just says "Absolute Playstation Scheduled Chats - Fridays @ 8 PM".

That would make it easier for us all to group up. How does that sound?
  • That is the general idea of this- set a time and those that can make it show up.

With people having work through the week weekends usually work out better for this. Also considering how many members and staff are in the UK the time has to be set so that it isn't too late in the evening. I was thinking Sundays at 2 PM eastern/ 7 PM UK time.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    I was thinking Sundays at 2 PM eastern/ 7 PM UK time.

Sounds alright to me. You've got a time conversion chart sitting there? ... I get aggravated easily when trying to figure that stuff out :o.

So, lets have our first scheduled chat next Sat. then - looking forward to it.
  • Let's just say I've had a bit of experience doing this. ;)

I think Sundays will work better- a number of us still have to work on saturdays. :frown:
  • I've taken the stickiness out of this thread as i have redone the chat details in a new thread so the information is at the top. Again, feel free to PM/ instant message me if you have any questions.
  • Do I sense a livechat session being scheduled in the near future?:)
  • You'll just have to check the new chat thread and find out, pup. ;)
  • I'm floating around the room right now and I see Massaki is in too- he's doing something else, though, can't get a word out of him.
  • Heh, sorry 'bout that. Brother was playing some of the games I' have installed here. ;x I've got the control of the PC again, so. ;x
  • I've set up a Snak version of the API chat room on my own!! Aren't you proud?

I have been in and out of the room all day yesterday and today and have quite a difficult time hearing from Massaki. I'm tempted to just kick him.:)
  • WTG- see, I said before it was easy to do. B) You wouldn't be able to kick without being opped though- at the moment only i have that ability (BWAHAHAHA). Massaki is in the habit of floating in there and doing other things so it is a bit tricky to get his attention.