problem-screen goes blank on games
  • When my ps2 is put into games mode (games cd inserted) the screen initially comes on ok and the game plays ok. After about 2 mins the screen starts to jump and then goes black - the game sound continues and the controls seem to respond.
    Does anyone know what the problem is.
    The unit plays DVD films ok and the fan is working ok.:(
  • Hmmmm, that sounds weird.... Next time it happens, try fiddling around on the back of the PS2 where the AV plugs hook into it. I know that my little sister's original PS2 I bought for her had trouble with the AV plug staying in. I had to buy a new one.

Anyway, let me know if anything happens when you do that and I'll see what we can figure out.
  • thanx madhtr,
    Additional info, When I start my PS2 with no disk inserted the screen initialy comes up with the std main screen and then the same thing happens - the text starts to scroll across the screen and then the screen goes blank.
    I wonder if the DVD and the Game interface use different graphic processors?
  • The same processor is used for both DVDs and the games, to my knowledge. I can't see the cable being a problem as that would affect everything, not just games.

This is one of the more unusual problems I've seen and honestly wouldn't know where to start. I don't want to be alarmist here but it may be possible your PS2 is dying a slow death. I would give Sony's tech support a call (it's toll free, number is in the user manual and any game manuals) and see what they have to say.
  • I was wondering how long you've had your console. It's just that if it's less than a year old then first off it's strange this has happened so early in your PS2s life, but more importantly it is still under warranty allowing you to get a replacement PS2 free of charge.
    Now if it's over a year old, you will incur a charge to get a replacement one.
    Either way, you do not get a brand new PS2 from Sony, they just send you out a refurbished one which is one that someone else has owned, had problems with, got it replaced (with a refurbished one) and then Sony have repaired it fully ready to be sent as a replacement to someone else.
    If it is over a year old then you would have to ring the Sony hardware number in your PS2 manual or any game manual and find out how much it will cost.
    Being in the UK I have no idea if and how much they charge in other parts of the world. Over here it is £60. I know because I had to pay that a couple of years ago.
    Anyway, I hope you get this sorted. Keep us updated on how things are going, ok?