• Certain games (Madden 2002 and Crash for PS2), when placed in my PS2 make unbelievably loud, crunching noises, and eventually end with the same result...Disc Read Error. I have tried two different Madden 2002 discs, both get Disc Read Error.
  • Hmm, are the discs in question scratched at all or have some identifying mark like a smudge?
  • Get ahold of SONY via e-mail!! This is NOT a new problem, and to add insult to injury, SONY will try to charge you $120.00 (US) to repair the problem!

This is the BIGGEST single complaint to plague the PS2, and SONY has done very little to warn or advertise this fact to those who have shelled out thier hard-earned money for thier consoles.

Here is another alternative that seems to get results for some people:

1)First turn on your ps2 and take out the game in the disc drive

2)Hit reset.

3)Hit triangle when the browser and system configuration comes up

4)Go up to "Console Version" and hit triangle.

5)Turn on "Diagnosis" and hit Circle twice to get back to the browser and system Configuration. And whatever you do, do NOT hit reset!

6)Put in the game and go into the "Browser" and it should work.

NOTE: I have NOT tried this myself, so I can not vouch for the effectiveness of this method; but it seems to help some. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • This sounds like one of the lasers is out of alignment and is actually raking along the disk, are there any scratches on the disks that go allthe way around the disk? This is indeed a big problem, but you should be able to play the other types of disks (other than the type that those games are on) since they use different motors and readers and such. Also: when did you last clean your PS2? It may just need a good cleaning.
  • When you e-mail Sony it doesn't really help cuz all they do is reply with an automated message and they tell you to call them.
  • Calling Sony is always recommended because you'll get better help than you could get online anyway. Just give them a call and they should be able to help you with any problems you may encounter with your Sony products. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.