The hottest PS3 launch titles?
  • Below is a list of the PS3 Games that will be available in North America between 17th Nov and 25th Dec 2006. This information was correct as of Playstation's North American website at about 5 minutes before the time I posted this - so dont blame me if its wrong :frown:

I am interested in finding out what are your most wanted in that list - what do you as a gamer wish you could play tonight?

Just copy the title you are interested in from the list and put it in a new post below - feel free to add a reason if you wish :D

Resistance: Fall of Man
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    Call of Duty 3
    NBA’07
    Fight Night Round 3
    Full Auto 2: Battlelines
    Madden NFL 07
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
    Need for Speed Carbon
    Ridge Racer 7
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
    Tony Hawk’s Project 8
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas
    Untold Legands Dark Kingdom
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    F.E.A.R.
    NBA 2K7
    NHL 2K7
    Sonic the Hedgehog
  • It's safe to say from wandering around the web the hottest launch title is Resistance: Fall Of Man. Not necessarily mine (I tend to suck at FPS games).

For me two of the hotter titles are Ridge Racer 7 and Full Auto 2. Ridge Racer was my game of choice to christen my original PlayStation back in '95. I tried a demo of the original Full Auto and liked it, although i didn't buy the full game. Reportedly improvements have been made for the sequel so I'll be checking this one out when it does arrive.
  • Cheers for heads up, Rory.
    The games I wanna play right this second are:
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Gran Turismo HD
    Gran Turismo 5 (the TRUE next generation GT as opposed to a High-Def version of GT4)
    Grand Theft Auto 4 (it's GTA, what more can I say? :D)
    Need for Speed Carbon (not completely sure about this one, as the PS2 version is far too short. Hope PS3 version is bigger and better)
    Tony Hawk
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    It's safe to say from wandering around the web the hottest launch title is Resistance: Fall Of Man.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Lyn. The game that looks brilliant to me, is that White Knight game. Have you seen any movies for it? I've got a movie I downloaded from Gamespot; it shows the game go from normal gameplay, into cut scene, and then into a boss battle. Seemless integration; it's what all us RPG lovers have wanted since Final Fantasy VII was realesed. Let's hope FFXIII does it that good; hopefully better.
  • It's not a launch game though, is it, Jason? That's what this is about- hottest launch title. :p
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    It's not a launch game though, is it, Jason? That's what this is about- hottest launch title. :p

Yeah, but if you look back at what Rory originally put he put the line
    Rory K STAFF said:
    I am interested in finding out what are your most wanted in that list - what do you as a gamer wish you could play tonight?
    So there you go, THAT'S why I put the game I put. So :p to you too
  • The new MGS. It just HAS to be mine!!!
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Yeah, but if you look back at what Rory originally put he put the lineSo there you go, THAT'S why I put the game I put. So :p to you too

I looked through that list and nowhere was White Knight seen so it doesn't qualify- back at ya! :p

Been spending a bit of time with Ridge Racer 7 this afternoon- so far I have to say this one's a keeper! There's a lot of detail going on here in the cars and the various racetracks and the cars i have so far (3 of them) control very easily although one was a bit erratic when drifting around corners. You'l enjoy this one Rory! :cool:
  • mmm Ridgeee Raaacer. 5 long months to the release and about another 5 to i can afford a controller never mind the PS3 - but I have already stated that my first title will be RR7. Its like a tradition with Namco, Sony and me!

Took another look at the Resistance: Fall of Man download last night and I have to say that it looks and sounds astonishing :cool:
  • Rory K STAFF said:
    Took another look at the Resistance: Fall of Man download last night and I have to say that it looks and sounds astonishing :cool:

I have to agree with you there, Rory. Resistance: Fall of Man looks like a brilliant game. I'm not into those sorts of games really, but it still looks good. Even if I prob won't get it.
    As for RR7, I'm not sure. It DOES look brilliant, but, going by recent Ridge Racers, I'm not sure if I'll get it. I might do, might not. I'll def be getting GT5. Might get GTHD, but it's just a suped up version of GT4, so not sure about that one :huh:
    ps I KNOW GT5 isn't a launch title, Lyn, but I'll still get it when it's eventually out. Besides, the length of time it's taking for us poor forgotten Europeans to get our console, maybe it'll be ready by then. Doubtful, but here's hoping :D
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Besides, the length of time it's taking for us poor forgotten Europeans to get our console, maybe it'll be ready by then. Doubtful, but here's hoping :D

*grumble moan grumble, Sony, grumble us poor UK peeps, grumble grumble*

It really bugs me that us Euro's get forgotten. It's not like we have a particularly small game market when compared to the other major territories. I just DONT get why we always end up being left behind...
  • Kernmist, its easy to work out why. Sony and Nintendo own Japan - hell more second hand gba's are sold weekly in Japan than xbox and xbox 360!

US peeps would have us believe that they are the biggest market for games consoles and yes it is true - but only if you add Canada and Mexico into the figures. They say that Europe is so hard to deliver to with so many different languages etc...but then they counter argue that will blu-ray and say that it holds so much info that all language versions could be released on the same day globally - indeed all could be stored on the same disk! :huh:

But in a nut shell the real reason is that we will just take what ever scraps they throw our way.
    Did you know that per capita Ireland is Sonys biggest market after Japan?
    We love our technology - 2nd highest per capita ownership of mobile phones after Finland....

Now, the real questions you should be asking is, why Sony would try to sell stuff in the USA and why the PS3 seems to be cheaper there? Practically no technology is cheap there - except the mobile phone networks.... I had never heard of such a thing as a "dropped call" until I spend some time in the US, and only about 60% of sent SMS are actually recieved....
    Now if such a thing was to happen here there would be hell to pay! :mad:
  • Rory K STAFF said:
    US peeps would have us believe that they are the biggest market for games consoles and yes it is true - but only if you add Canada and Mexico into the figures. They say that Europe is so hard to deliver to with so many different languages etc...but then they counter argue that will blu-ray and say that it holds so much info that all language versions could be released on the same day globally - indeed all could be stored on the same disk! :huh:

If I remember correctly, I was the one who originally pointed that out, about the storage capacity being enough to hold all different languages. In fact, that's why their are still, as of yet, unconfirmed *rumors* that PS3 games are meant to be Region Free. However, that's only if companies decide to make them region free. If they got their act together, us Europeans could have the likes of Final Fantasy XIII, for example, at the EXACT same time as Japan and the US. It's a matter of companies pulling their fingers out and bothering to add basically two or three games (Japan, US, and Europe) on the one disk at the same time instead of releasing three different disks like they do now (which is obviously due to capacity limitations at the moment).
    Rory K STAFF said:
    But in a nut shell the real reason is that we will just take what ever scraps they throw our way.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Imagine what the games companies would do if all of Europe said "right, enough is enough. Screw you, we're not buying ANY more consoles or games AT ALL." Basically, they'd go bankrupt. Well maybe not bankrupt, but they'd lose a hell of a lot of money.
    We have the biggest share of the gaming market (overall) and they ignore us like we're on another planet or something.
  • Rory K STAFF said:
    Kernmist, its easy to work out why. Sony and Nintendo own Japan - hell more second hand gba's are sold weekly in Japan than xbox and xbox 360!

Did you know that per capita Ireland is Sonys biggest market after Japan?
    We love our technology - 2nd highest per capita ownership of mobile phones after Finland....

Now, the real questions you should be asking is, why Sony would try to sell stuff in the USA and why the PS3 seems to be cheaper there? Practically no technology is cheap there - except the mobile phone networks.... I had never heard of such a thing as a "dropped call" until I spend some time in the US, and only about 60% of sent SMS are actually recieved....
    Now if such a thing was to happen here there would be hell to pay! :mad:

Ah, now I know a thing or two about the mobile phone market what with being heavily involved in various comms technologies at work. The whole CDMA system in the US is very different to the system that we use here (uk). It does make for better connectivity, but it's not as extensible. Here, if we need more coverage we just shove up some more transceivers (preferably inside school playgrounds, that kind of thing). In the US they can't do that due to the way that CDMA works. However, they have the added benefit of having HUGE amounts of land and open space so they won't actually reach capacity where problems occur.

Texting has only just really started taking off in the states, however as they've had PTT calls for years. It's much easier to just press one button and send a voice message almost CB style to your target phope than to type a text message out. However, the advent of MMS and such like is starting to have an effect in the US market.

Interesting fact: About two years ago Nokia produced a whole line of phones targetted at the American market with big pullout ariels and clam shell designs. The clamshells were specifically made to 'clap' when snapped shut because the US market likes the noise, and the ariel was just a placebo piece of plastic that did nothing. Apparently their studies told them that the US market likes phones where they hang up by 'snapping the phone shut' and one of the first things American users try to do when answering their phone in awkward circumstances is pull the arial out with their teeth.

Weird facts, but Nokia designed 3 or 4 phones around them so there must be something in it :)