PlayStation 3 First Day Set Up Details
  • A new blog entry has been added:

[drupal=126]PlayStation 3 First Day Set Up Details[/drupal]

Yesterday turned into a very good day for me. On Thursday I was under the impression that the PlayStation 3 I had preordered would not actually be in until this coming Monday- but then the manager calls Friday morning to let me know it has arrived! Needless to say I wasn't long getting in there to pick it up.

I did settle for the 20 GB model instead of the 60 GB I had originally ordered- the wireless connectivity of wi-fi wasn't going to be used by me as were the flash memory card slots under the flap so no sense paying extra for what won't be used. For those that wondered the flap does not come up on the 20 GB model, it's a solid bit of plastic there.
  • I like how you have all three Playstations hooked up next to each other. What a nice PS family.:D
  • That's not all PlayStations there- that's an XBox 360 on the left (consider him the black sheep of the gaming family there :p )
  • Lyndon
    now that you have had the chance to run the PS3 20gb machine for a day or so, what do you think of it?

Is it a match for the 360?
    We all know you are an honest, upstanding citizen so we trust your word.
    Is it worth buying the ps3 over the 360? or would it be be better waiting several years? :huh:
  • Several years?? I know you don't have that sort of patience, Rory! :p

I've so far played a bit of the MotorStorm demo on there (this one looks to be a must-buy when it comes out) and had a browse through the rest of the PlayStation Store. While it's true some of the games out there are pretty much crap (Gundam and Untold Legends are good examples) keep in mind these are launch titles and some developers haven't had the time to get things as far along as they'd like and by early 2007 we will be seeing a number of big titles (Assassin's Creed, Army Of Two, MGS4, Devil May Cry 4 etc.).

The power of the PS3 is easily a match for the 360- it's up to the developers to learn how to harness that. By the time the console rolls out in the territories on your side of the pond those titles mentioned above should be out or just about ready to be along with others that will start to show a small glimmer of the true abilities of the system.

If you have the 360 now one could safely wait until the supply is more plentiful before getting one (unlike myself, I've always been one of the early adopters). For those that don't, I would say go ahead and get the PS3 if you can find it.
  • Lyndon

you forget that the last time Sony released a console I was single.

Early Adopter Rory vanished a few years back and was replaced by Married Rory. Now I am made to feel that spending
  • hi there lads and lasses, i purchased my 40gb ps3 2 weeks ago only got 4 games like but tis very good. Inm going to get tinternet next month does 40gb allow me to do internet wireless stuff or?
    In regards to is it better than xbox360 i also own one of those the only reason i have kept it is for exclusive games though with the disapointment of halo 3 i wkill soon be trading it in. The 360 isnt really that much of a good console comopare to the ps3 the ps3 has free internet, better conntroller six axis better exclusive game series looks better though dosent count for much and has much better prospect for the future though i would definatley rate it above the 360 at this point in time, the many game devlopers and series that fled to 360 are know looking at returning this is the same for the brilliant series of ace combat wich looking to come back to the superior ps3.
    any comments regarding the itnernet set up of the ps3 would be much appreciated.
  • got fight nights 3 wich is brilliant espaecially 2 player though when you train there are are couple of graphical faults nothing to serious though. TCAW2 that is aserious game 10/10 cant wait to play that online, i got juiced 2 not bad but a bit of a let down graphically in no way stunning, gameplay iss exiting up to 3/4 the way through the game until you realise threres not much todo i will have to give the onile a try when that comes out the reviews say much better than the single player. Then finnally resistance - what a game in my mind it is a halo beeter with good story very intresting enemies and nice blend of differamt styles the ending a bit of a tease to say the least but definatley leaves it open for a sequal wich would be nice.
    Any one played COD4 yet looks good, The new GT is getting topgear test track aswell how goods that.
  • You'll find the internet set up is somewhat simple, sfjp- just head down to the bottom of the Settings menu to set up your net connection. The 40 GB does have wireless capability but personally, i suggest going wired if possible. Quite a few have found the wireless card inside the PS3 is not very good at picking up the wifi.

Have a look through the PS3 Hardware Help section- I've had a number of goes with helping others with how to get their PS3 internet going.
  • thank you very much apreciated mr lyndon
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You'll find the internet set up is somewhat simple, sfjp- just head down to the bottom of the Settings menu to set up your net connection. The 40 GB does have wireless capability but personally, i suggest going wired if possible. Quite a few have found the wireless card inside the PS3 is not very good at picking up the wifi.

Have a look through the PS3 Hardware Help section- I've had a number of goes with helping others with how to get their PS3 internet going.

It was an easy set up on the 40gb version. True, there is nothing like a wired connection. However... I believe that those people that are having troubles with wireless arent using the right routers. There are two rooms between my router and PS3. I monitored my connection by hitting the "search for signal" thing on the PS3 every 2 minutes and on a, (sorry netgear fans) cheap Netgear WGR614 v7, the signal fluxuated from 20 to 50% TERRIBLE!! I went out and got a D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme Wireless Router. Night and day difference. I now have a 80 - 100% (room with router) signal through the whole house. Browsing on the PS3 goes alot faster now.
  • can you plug a wire in to a wireless router or do i plug the ps3 straight in to the phone wire sorry about this lads and lasses not to good at the old tinternet stuff.:huh: