how those this thing work
  • Hi just need to know how to open the slot for the memory stick and explan how you get online. thanks
  • Welcome to APi, Mike.

If you are using the 20 GB PS3 the flap where the memory card slots should be does not open. That version doesn't have the memory stick slots so they left it in one piece to the rest of the shell.

To get online first connect the ethernet cable to the PS3 (unless you are using the 60 GB model and going wireless). Then go to the Settings menu on the PS3 and at the bottom you will see Network Settings. Go in here to set up your connection. If you have done this with a PS2 or PSP then it will all be very familiar as the process is pretty much the same. They give a quick go over in the quick reference guide that came with the system.
  • as for reading memory cards on the 20gig model a lot of people have been using a external 21 in 1 ( or 7 in 1) USB memory card reader & connecting up to the USB connections on the front of the PS3
  • Exactly- these card readers can be had rather cheaply anyplace selling computer equipment or digital cameras.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Then go to the Settings menu on the PS3 and at the bottom you will see Network Settings. Go in here to set up your connection. If you have done this with a PS2 or PSP then it will all be very familiar as the process is pretty much the same. They give a quick go over in the quick reference guide that came with the system.

For me, I didn't even have to set up my online connection, so you might now have to. In my manual, it said that the defaults are probably what I want to run with anyway, so I just went straight online, signed up for my Playstation 3 Network Account (Free) and the connection worked perfectly.

So, you may not need to alter the defaults. Just letting you know.