Internet Connection Frustration
  • I just purchased my PS3 recently and still have not been able to connect to the internet. I am using a wireless connection and have filled out all of the appropriate information, but when I test my connection it says:

IP Adress: Succeded
    Internet Connection: Failed
    Unable to resolve the name with the server

I have been getting this message every time and I dont even know what it means, which leaves me baffled in knowing what to fix. If i could get some instruction, that would be greatly appreciated.
  • For my own wireless connections I have had to do a bit of setting up in DHCP on the router. Try enabling that and set up a specific IP address to assign the PS3- you'll need the PS3's MAC address which can be found in the system info. Once that is saved there edit the PS3's connection setting to add in that same IP address.
  • Sorry if I seem cluless haha but how exactly do I set my router up with another IP adress? I have been trying but just dont know what to do.
  • It confused me at first too- no worries. You may be surprised how easy it is once you get through it.

First off go into the PS3's Settings menu and go down to System Settings- in here you will find an entry called System Information. When you look at this one of the things you will find is the PS3's MAC Address- think of this as an ID number for the PS3 to identify itself to the router. Write this number down and then go into the router's option pages on the computer.

Now, once you log into the set up section here you should be able to find a spot called DHCP. Depending on the make of your router this may be its own section or maybe in a portion of the Wireless area. On the page for this you should see several things.

First you should see two choices- Enabled and Disabled. Make sure Enabled is checked. Now, further below is a spot marked "Enter a new MAC Address" or just "MAC Address"- it should look like six small entry blanks separated with a hyphen. Enter in the address you grabbed out of the PS3's settings pages. Finally you will see a spot to assign an IP address with most of it filled in already (192.168.0.___). Most routers start with addresses starting at 100 and end at 199 so put a number somewhere between that range that you know won't be used by anything else such as your computer (make it 125 as an example). Once you are done with that there will be a button at the bottom of the page marked Apply, Save or OK. Hit that and you are almost done.

Back to the PS3- go into the network settings you made before and edit this just a bit. What you should do is put in a custom IP address- namely, the one you told the router to give every time the PS3 wants online. Once that is done just go through to the end and save. If everything is in correctly you should be able to start gaming online. B)
  • For one I want to thank you for your help, but one more question. In accessing my router, is that different then typing in my ip address in a browser and having that page come up? Or is that the place where I need to make my changes?
  • All part of the service. ;) Yes, that is exactly where you need to go. They should have given you an IP address to type into the address bar (192.168.0.1 for D-Link brand for example) that you enter to alter any settings in the router.
  • Ive done that and Im looking at that page and everything you've described, but its only giving me the option to change the existing LAN settings, not add a new one. It let me add a new MAC address and I did that, but when I went to add the new IP address, its only letting me change the existing one.
  • It's hard to tell exactly where to go without knowing what brand and model router you are using. What are you using as a router currently?
  • Its a Belkin_Pre-N_646760. Its the wireless port and the router.
  • Just had to go with the latest and greatest out there didn't you? :D

Had to do a bit of digging to find a .pdf file of the router but I was able to get one. You are currently at the WiFi- MAC address screen, where you can enter in those addies for what you want on the network, correct? Once you have added the PS3's MAC address into the Allow list you should be good to go. You can use whatever address it gave you for the PS3 if you are sure it is far enough up the range to ensure you won't have a conflict with the computer. Just go back into the PS3 itself now and add that IP address it showed into the network settings on the PS3 and save.
  • Man I dont know what the problem is now... I've set up the PS3's IP address in the router and it keeps telling me that there was an error while resolving the name with the server. My title is really starting to become valid...:redface:
  • I am starting to wonder if the problem is the fact you are trying to use an N router. Any of the ones on the market now are based on early specs and have not been finalized yet. It's possible there may be a glitch with the backward compatibility (PS3 uses 802.11 G).
  • What exactly does "resolving the name with the server mean"? It doesn't even make sense to me...
  • Basically means the router isn't recognizing the PS3. Do you have all the other numbers in place in the PS3 connection setting (Router IP, DNS servers, subnet mask)?
  • ImageShack - Hosting :: routerau2.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the home page for my router. It shows the ip, the subnet mask, and that the DHCP is enabled, all under the LAN settings. But then it shows another subnet, and a DNS address under the internet settings. Ive been experimenting on which one to use, but it doesnt seem to work either way.
  • Hmm...I notice under LAN Settings you have 2 MAC addresses and only one IP address. Would one of those MACs be the PS3? Also, what sort of changes can you make under DHCP Client List?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    For my own wireless connections I have had to do a bit of setting up in DHCP on the router. Try enabling that and set up a specific IP address to assign the PS3- you'll need the PS3's MAC address which can be found in the system info. Once that is saved there edit the PS3's connection setting to add in that same IP address.

Does that work with a wired connection too?
  • Actually, yes it does. I did this with the PlayStation 2 to get it online- the same would hold true with the PS3 on a wired connection.
  • Hey, do you have other wireless devices on the network with your PS3 and router??

Id change the SSID on the router to something a little less complicated than belkin_pre-n_646760

Loose all the _ and - and go with something a little shorter and more descriptive. You can always initiate security later to lock it down.

I think you might be looking a little too deep in the configs, you only would need to enter a MAC address in the router as part of the wireless security if your not using WEP/WPA or radius.

I assume here that your computer is connecting either wirelessly or wired through the router? If so.

1) change the SSID of the router. (note if your connecting from your computer wirelessly you will have to change that one as well)

2) go to Settings on the PS3
    3) Go to network settings
    4) go to Internet connection Settings
    5) if you perform blahblah just say yes
    6) Choose wireless - > choose scan ->

you should see your routers wireless SSID now in the list with a signal percentage.. what do you get??

7) If all is well you should highlight your SSID and select X this populates the next screen with your SSID choose right again

8) If you have no security choose none, if you have security enabled id disable it on the router till you get it working then activate it once you know you can physically connect

9) take the easy route on the address settings

you should see then a screen:

int connection - enabled
    connection - wireless
    ssid - your ssid
    security - none
    address - automatic
    ip - automatic

press X

Test the connection - what do you get?

If it passes the connection test and you still have problems. Check the IP information on the PS3 and repost.

Unless you have MAC filtering and security turned on on your router you shouldnt need to be entering MAC addresses to get IP reservations. If you didnt have to do that with your computer you should have to with the ps3.

cheers

3)
  • Hello again. I know I kinda left you hangin there, but when you said "what kind of changes can you make under the DHCP Client list" thats when it clicked. I went under tat list and that is for sure where I need to set up the PS3. One small problem with that, and I dont know if this is within your vast realm of knowledge, but it doesnt give me the option to add to that list, so I dont know how to add the PS3's MAC address to it. We were going to have the guy that fixes our computers do it while he was here and he didnt so I thought I would just ask you if you possibley knew how to do it.
    Thanks
  • Usually under the wireless security there is a mac address filter list. I have a linksys router and I use MAC filtering for wireless connectivity. So only machines thats mac address is entered into the list are allowed to connect wirelessly.

Call your IT guy and ask him if he has turned on MAC filtering for wireless clients. If he has you need to go into your Wireless config (not the DHCP server config) and create an entry for the PS3 mac address so that your wireless router knows to allow connections from that location.

I just downloaded the manual for your router and I would think you need to be adding the MAC address as per outlined in page 55 :
    http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74304-A-F5D8230-4_man.pdf

You dont comment on whether your PS3 can even see the SSID of the router, id really recommend you start from scratch and remove the static IP youve assigned to your PS3, if youve entered IPs incorrectly or have invalid DNS entries your going to be spending a lot of time fiddling on the router when the config issue is at the PS3 level.
  • There is no filtering set, my only problem is adding my PS3's MAC address to the DHCP list. There is no instuction on how to do that in the manual.
  • Hi, you only would have to enter DHCP MAC addresses for reservations. There is no networking requirement to enter Static MAC addresses in a DHCP server unless you specifically want to reserve a specific IP for a specific network card.

1)Remove the statically assigned IP address from your PS3. The error you are getting is indicitave
    2) Setup a new wireless connection on your PS3 and ensure that it can see the SSID of your Wireless N router.

There are too many variables here.

Can you find out if your IT guy setup to broadcast an SSID
    Do you have any other machines connecting via Wireless to the router
    and
    Did your IT guy setup any sort of wireless security on the Router.

Just to clarify your not in the remote play networking settings on the ps3 are you? Thats completely different and is used to turn the PS3 into a Wireless Access Point so you can connect to it and it alone via a PSP.

If you like I can call you or remote into your router temporarily and have a look see, entirely up to you. Its a very simply thing to setup if you know what your doing if your not sure you could get completely lost very easily.

regards
  • I have an 802.11B wireless network, but the PS3 seems to connect for varrying periods of time and then drops out. IS that because of the mismatch between 802.11B and the 802.11G data rate of the PS3?
  • No, that would not do it- the PS3 was designed to handle both speeds. The dropped connection may be due to interference- how far away is the PS3 from the router, Steve?
  • The router is 2 rooms away on the same floor. I estimate it at 20 feet in a straight line. Since it is on the second floor, it is away from the microwave oven and all the other major electronics on the main floor.
  • Haven't heard a response on this interference issue. Any suggestions are very welcome.
    Thanks.
  • Hi Steve, what model router do you have? and have you upgraded your firmware on your PS3 to 1.32?
  • Thanks for your response. My router is a LINKSYS 2.4GHz, 802.11B wireless router model BEFW11S4.
  • Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did update the firmware in the initial set-up of the PS3. As I described earlier, the device connects with good signal strength, but drops out regularly. Does it make sense to try the firmware update drill again just in case?
  • Hi Steve, the range and signal strength you have would seem to be well with tollerances, youve stated you dont have microwaves or cell phones or anything else.

The router you have is a single processor model. One for everything as opposed to one of the higher end ones with a processor for routing and a processor for wireless. (simplistic models here).

Id recommend before messing around with firmware you determine if your signal drop is due to overhead on the box itsself. Do you have other wireless devices. If so shut them down while using the ps3, can you remove any and all security from the router temporarily and just have the PS3 connect with no encryption. If you get a consistent lossless signal in either scenario the problem is definately with the router itself. As such id look at doing a firmware upgrade as a first and last course of action. If that doesnt work unfortunately you might need to look at different routing hardware.

I have a couple of WRV54G's at home and ive had no problems with wireless connectivity or routing. My only issue has been getting RFOM to work, but I think thats completely unrelated to my home network at this point in time.

cheers
    jason
  • Thanks. I'll try stripping off all other wireless devices and see if that helps.
  • just shut them down and do your testing no need to remove everything.