Remake A Console
  • [CENTER]image

Do you ever miss a particular old video gaming console? I miss the Sega Genesis days, when that was the best thing going. I loved Sonic The Hedgehog 2. I loved being able to go into any store and pick up a Genesis game for such a cheap price, and they were always easy to just get into and play. They controls were easy to learn, and the gameplay was fun.

I guess what I am saying is, do you think a game company will ever remake a console? In other words, in five years, could Sega come out and announce that the Genesis 2.0 is coming out? It would be able to play all of the old Genesis games, but their would be improvements to the system, and publishers could make new cartridge-based games for the system.

Same could go for the original Nintendo system. I could not get a cartridge to ever play. You'd blow on the gold-plated things for days, insert-eject, reset, it was a mess. They could make the Nintendo 2.0 system that would actually play those games you always had too much dust on to enjoy.

I dunno, even after buying a next-gen system and knowing that these old games will be available virtually for download, it's hard not to miss the real "Glory Days" of gaming. The cartridge days.
    [/CENTER]
  • I agree with you, well i dont miss my sega because i have it on the shelf above my ps2, including all of the addons such as the 32X and the sega cd, and I still very much play it.
  • I never had much of a desire to play the Sega. It'd be nice if they remake the old school NES. But I see no reason why. Most people who still have it still play it so there's really no need to remake.
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    I never had much of a desire to play the Sega. It'd be nice if they remake the old school NES. But I see no reason why. Most people who still have it still play it so there's really no need to remake.

Well, I was just saying that a remake could fix the underlying problems that the nes had with games not playing because of minor dust, things like that. It could be a limited run special edition gold plated nes 100th anniversary edition. LOL.
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    I never had much of a desire to play the Sega. It'd be nice if they remake the old school NES. But I see no reason why. Most people who still have it still play it so there's really no need to remake.

Nintendo DID release a retro collectable version of the NES just over 18 months ago in Japan & ALL numbers of the limited edition were bought up in 3 days.

SEGA remade the Genesis/Megadrive 3 more times over the years, even when they released the Saturn, they were the MDII (slimmer version of the origianl version) MD-CDX (Mega drive with Mega CD all in one that was larger than a portable CD player) and the SEGA Nomad (a portable Megadrive/Genesis unit that was mainly released in Europe and Air France had them on there flights for children - VERY VERY HIGHLY COLLECTABLE as for the CDX)

Sad news today is that me & Jane are having a massive clear out before we get married & move house and I came across a large box containing a load of Megadrive machines that I've just binned. Some even had the SEGA net modem built in. I've kept one of them for my collection (hidden from Jane)

A Japanese company re-made the Dreamcast just as it was dying that played all regional games & ROMs from Nintendo & SEGA. SEGA stepped in & the company shut down within days. These machines look just like the Dreamcast & another collectable item. They even played better than the real item.
  • Chris N STAFF said:

A Japanese company re-made the Dreamcast just as it was dying that played all regional games & ROMs from Nintendo & SEGA. SEGA stepped in & the company shut down within days. These machines look just like the Dreamcast & another collectable item. They even played better than the real item.

The Dreamcast was another one I completely missed the boat on. I was and still am a Die-Hard Sony fan, but I do have a soft spot for the Sega systems and the diversity/originality of their games. I guess it's a good thing I did not buy into the Dreamcast, seeing as how the system died out so quickly.

I do remember seeing in a EGM Mag where Seanbaby did a hilarious article that just made fun of those rip-off/lookalike systems that you see in the malls. They are just the outer shell of the Dreamcast controller with games built into the window thingy in it. How many moms fell for that gimmick? lol this is the kind of thing I'm talking about right here (Made in Kuwait - all rights reserved):

Anyway, here's hoping someone remakes the Genesis, Nintendo and Dreamcast again. Who wants to play those lousy ROM's with a keyboard? Not me. Anybody else having to hide their old systems like Chris? ;)
  • mcw1011, if you knew me like a lot of the core members do here I'd had a hell of a collection of video gaming systems.

HADbeing the key word. You name it, I've either had it or still got it, but now it's a case of space. The last 18 months I've filtered my collection down to a handfull of consoles & games as I've sold on to collectors due to a house move that me & Jane are in the process of. It was a hard thing to do & Jane knows it as it was this site that we meet years ago and now were finally getting married (hoping some wedding presents are retro ;) )

The Dreamcast was something, it was cutting edge technology. WOW a 128bit console that you go online with, next gen graphics (still onpar with the PS2) a new GD-ROM disc system but expensive from the start & 2 years late (shades of the PS3 anyone??) Great collection of games and using a PC based OS there were times I use it to go online when my PC went FUBAR using the keyboard & mouse. Europeans had the naff 36k modem but I'd managed to get a Jap 56k one from a fried system.

I'm also dreading moving when Jane finally finds my hidden gems & there go off to Gamestation for trade in (a guy there buys my stuff at a special rate due to mint condition there in)