EA Skate Vs. Tony Hawk
  • At the very bottom of this text is a screenshot from Skate, the coming EA video game, set to debut in Spring 2007.

Don't you think the competition will be good for the Tony Hawk series? Let's face it, they haven't had to one-up themselves with any game they have done, because they haven't had any competition. In the beginning, their were some lousy imitations like this one ->

img src="http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3678/thrasherskatedestroyfrosx2.jpg" border="0" />

But all along, Tony Hawk has been doing their thing year after year, casually changing little things here and there.

I must say, I have bought ever new Tony Hawk game since its inception, and it seen it hit highpoints, and now with Tony Hawk's Project 8, I think it is at a low point. I think Activision has begun to lose interest in its only successful franchise. That's sad to see, but I'm thinking when the EA "Skate" game comes out, business will pick up, and Tony Hawk will have some work to do.

What do you think? (No one ever really replies to my posts, so if you aren't going to actually reply and DISCUSS THIS, then get out of here.)

img src="http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3518/skate04a10820fel7.jpg" border="0" />
  • mcw1011 said:
    (No one ever really replies to my posts, so if you aren't going to actually reply and DISCUSS THIS, then get out of here.)

First off, I understand it can be frustrating when nobody replies to messages, but could you please try to refrain from putting remarks like that as this is a friendly community we've got here :)

As for your actual post, I agree with what you're saying. The Tony Hawk games have been the skateboarding game since the first incarnation on the original playstation. Like yourself, I have played every single one. Well I haven't actually got around to buying Project 8 YET, but I'll get it eventually.
    Anyway, they have gone down hill since probably Pro Skater 3 or 4, but American Wasteland, I thought, did improve upon the disappointing THUG 2.
    I also agree that Activision need some competition to really make them get their fingers out and really pump up the Tony Hawk franchise and get it back to the level that made the original four games great to play.
    Unfortunately, from what I've seen and heard, EA's game isn't going to do that as it's nowhere near good enough to really challenge Activisions hold on the Skateboarding genre.
    However, give them a year or two and I think EA could become contenders, just look at how good FIFA 07 is compared to Konami's new Pro Evolution game; FIFA is well and truly back on track.

Anyone else think Activision need to buck their ideas up when it comes to the Tony Hawk games? Leave your thoughts in a reply to this thread.

• I lost interest of tony hawks games after underground. I think EA's game is really going to light a fire under Activision butt.
  • And who's going to light the fire under EA's butt, Kinesics? :p

Lately EA's games have been (in my opinion) riding on name recognition- they haven't really done much in the way to innovate their games. The skateboarding bit has been done to death by the Hawk games- time to move on.
  • --THRASHER vs TONY HAWK (1999)--
    Thrasher isn't an immitation though, seeing how it was released two months after the first THPS. They both were successful games, but THPS would take lead after that and Thrasher fell back in the shadows. There was no way that Thrasher could produce a follow-up game that would rival against another THPS game. At the time THPS was way more advanced in every aspect and was much more popular. I did however, enjoyed the soundtrack on Thrasher's Skate & Destroy more than THPS.

--GRIND SESSION vs TONY HAWK (2000)--

It was in THPS2 that they added Rodney Mullen, Eric Koston, and Steve Caballero. That alone was big news, but the fact that they built on top of their previous games with many neat features. Features like create your own skater and such made this game amazing and highly addictive and one of the last best games released on PS before PS2 arrived.

Grind Session is essentially Sony's answer to Activision's THPS game, featuring similar control and gameplay goals, making it easy for THPS fans to dive right in. But Grind Session offers a much more varied list of skateboarding tricks, as well as interesting new gameplay goals in the form of technical lines (all the feature from Grind Session would be implemented into the later THPS games). The Burnside level from THPS also appears in Grind Session. Remember how hard you tried to jump over the fence & skate next to those trucks in THPS only to discover an invisible wall? Grind Session lets you live out your Burnside fantasy and hop right over a fence into a parking lot.

Just because Grind Session is in many ways a Tony Hawk clone doesn't make it a bad game. In fact, it's easily as good as the original Tony Hawk in most areas and surpasses Hawk in a few areas, such as the number of available tricks and the character-building option. Again I found myself enjoying the Soundtrack on Grind Session more pleasing than the THPS 2
  • --ESPN vs TONY HAWK (2001)--
    Right off the bat, Bob Burnquist is replaced with Bam Margera in THPS3. Why? Bob jumped shit to go to Konami's ESPN Skateboarding game. Other than that the game had some new features goal wise and a tweaked trick list with some mechanical changes, but it ran on the same engine as the last. Here is when they added reverts, and the ability to switch from grind to grind without leaving the rail (Lip tricks also work the same way).

Konami's ESPN X Games Skateboarding... what in god's name where they thinking when they developed this game!? If the non-user friendly control configuration didn't kill you the unstable frame rate and poor level designs would've. Let's just stay on the control standpoint because this gave me chest pains... the game plays roughly the same as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, with a few additions. For example, you must hold up to continue kicking and gaining momentum. Also, there are three different air trick buttons, as opposed to Tony Hawk's two. Square is used for flip tricks, L1 and R1 are used for grabs, and circle is used for air tricks. A few tricks are a little more complicated to do than simply pushing a direction and hitting a button. A McTwist, for example, requires you to spin two full circles on the D-pad and push the circle button. While the game features more trick buttons, that doesn't automatically translate to more tricks, as you use only the four compass directions for tricks, not the diagonals. As a whole, the game feels a little stiff. Turning isn't quite as sharp as you'd want it to be, even when your board is adjusted for better turning. The skaters auto-center themselves on vert tricks, so as long as you let go of the spin and trick buttons with enough time for your skater to auto-correct, you'll land every single trick. The game doesn't really have any clear-cut way to link tricks together for Tony Hawk 2-like endless combos. You land into a manual, but the game doesn't let you ollie out of a manual into another trick. Finally, the game rewards button-mashing on vert tricks, making it easy to put together decent air combos.
  • TONY HAWK vs TONY HAWK? (2003-2005)

Nothing new really to report in this game from previous games in its series. Many of the level goals in Tony Hawk 4 will be pretty difficult even for series veterans, so accomplishing them will be really satisfying. The game throws some strict time limits at you in some of the goals, and some of the later combo goals are tough to pull off. In previous games, failing a goal or missing a jump meant that you had to spend time skating around to get back in position. Here, when you fail a goal, you can use the pause menu to jump right back to the start of that goal, instantly. This gives the game a real trial-and-error feel, letting you reattempt the same combo line over and over again until you finally get it, though being able to restart a goal at any point keeps this from getting frustrating. You can also jump to any goal that you previously tried, which is a handy way to skip around from place to place in a level.

When it comes to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, there are some standards that have remained constant throughout the entire series. In the game's career mode, you picked a professional skater and went from level to level, completing goals that really didn't have much to do with being a professional skater. Year after year, the career mode got bigger and bigger, piling on more and more goals and slowly tying them into the pro skater's real-life career. Sure, starting with the second game in the series, you could create your own skater, but that was more of a secondary bonus than anything else, and the focus from year to year was on a series of new moves that kept the gameplay fresh and made the next installment in the series just as addictive as the last.

Rather than focus on replacing the levels and adding new layers of depth to the gameplay, Activision and Neversoft have tried to turn the entire series upside down, taking the focus off of the skaters who are already professionals and instead putting the spotlight on an unknown skater and his quest for fame, which takes him from the mean streets of New Jersey to the heights of skateboarding stardom. While the classic Tony Hawk gameplay is present, and still fantastic after all this time, the new story mode doesn't make as dramatic of a change as it probably could have.

There are also goals that don't really require much skating. For example, you'll be asked to drive a car on numerous occasions, and you'll even hop off your board and do some light, Tomb Raider-styler platforming by climbing up onto buildings, shimmying power lines, and so on. While hopping off the board has value as a combo expanding gameplay element, the driving in the game is ill-conceived. The cars look and control pretty poorly, and the goals involving vehicles seem like filler, much like some of the minigames. An example would be hitting baseballs with your skateboard (found in Tony Hawk 4).

With the gameplay already in a rock solid state, the more recent entries have made more subtle changes. T.H.U.G2 hangs on to the great gameplay of the previous games, makes a few minor tweaks, and wraps it all up in a new Bam Margera-centric package. The result might be more satisfying for those who haven't seen most of this stuff already done before in previous Tony Hawk games.

T.H.U.G2's story mode is a whirlwind tour that gives you four skaters and a mess of goals to accomplish in each level. You start out each level as your created skater, though you'll also pick a pro skater as a partner. You'll also find two other skaters--or at least, people who ride skateboards, since it seems weird to call Ben Franklin or a shrimp vendor "skaters" hidden in various spots on each level, and each time you encounter a new skater, you'll unlock another set of goals for that level. Some of these new characters don't even ride boards. You'll run into Steve-O, who rides around on a wheeled mechanical bull, and you'll meet an Australian in a small go-kart.

The game also has a new "freak out" function. After some falls, a freak out meter will appear, and mashing the grind button will cause it to fill up. If you reach a certain point on the meter before your skater stands back up, you'll make him get mad and destroy his board. A new board gets tossed in and play continues as normal, but your tantrum translates into a couple thousand points of base score. So if you can get a combo going a few seconds after your bail, you'll get some bonus points to throw in there. However, freaking out just means it'll take longer for you to get back on your board and start skating again, and the game has almost completely de-emphasized point scores in its goal-based modes. The score bonus isn't enough to justify the extra time it takes to get back on the board, so you're usually just better off keeping your cool. While not all of these changes are all that great, the core gameplay in T.H.U.G2 is still very strong. The refined gameplay that comes from six years of tinkering still works, and fans of the series should still enjoy themselves quite a bit.

Over the years the series has had installments that made dramatic changes to the formula, but the more recent installments have focused less on gameplay or structural changes and more on including a story. American Wasteland is the game that finally makes good on the story thing by offering a plot that's far more interesting than it's been in the previous two games. It also attempts to put all its levels together into one big take on Los Angeles that's free from loading times. That part doesn't work out quite as well as the back of the box would have you believe, but the real issue with American Wasteland is with its gameplay. You'll find the requisite handful of new tricks, but most of the story mode feels like a brief tutorial, and the classic mode isn't deep or long enough to hold the attention of series veterans. It's got more of the same fluid skating gameplay you've come to expect from the series, but the game's over almost immediately.

You'll also learn the game's new tricks, like the bert slide, which is the ground-based, surfing-like maneuver brought back to the skating hive-mind by Dogtown and Z-Boys. You can also get off your board and swing it at pedestrians, which isn't terribly useful, and you can learn some freestyle running techniques for wall climbing, flips, and so on. You can also find and ride BMX bikes in the game, which come up in a couple of goals but are mostly there for you to earn money, which you'll need at various points in the story. The BMX bike controls are vastly different from the skating controls, and they're surprisingly well-thought-out. You'll hold a button to pedal, steer with the left analog controller, and perform tricks with the right. Also, some tricks are left up to you to put together. A flair, for example, is a backflip and a 180 turn combined. Bike games have traditionally just mapped that to a button and a direction, just like any other trick. Here you'll have to do a backflip and a 180 at the same time to get credit for a flair. The BMX stuff is minor, overall, but it's an interesting diversion.

Few of these new tricks really matter, because most of your goals in story mode simply ask you to quickly grind or natas-spin on an object or wallplant or sticker-slap something while watching the fun. Most of the game's goals are based around the skate ranch, an area found just off Beverly Hills that's mostly a large empty dirt lot with a halfpipe in it. One of the major thrusts of the story is your crew's desire to trick out the ranch, so you'll always have goals that involve you busting out a piece of the city so that it can get added to the ranch. There are a lot of different pieces to add to the ranch, but since most of them are required goals that get the story moving again, you won't have to go out of your way to get them. You'll have a few things to do in the skate ranch itself, but it's mostly just there for show and for free skating.
  • -- EA SKATE vs TONY HAWK (2006-2007)--
    Tony Hawks Project 8:

As you might expect, not being saddled with the constraints of the Xbox and PlayStation 2, Activision and Neversoft have made some strong visual strides this year, updating and modernizing the game's look while replacing a lot of the trick animations that had been in place for years. The gameplay is as freeform and as technical as it's ever been, with some smart changes on that front that are enough to keep fans of the series interested, while a new tutorial is aimed at getting new players up to speed. Unfortunately, some technical glitches and unstable frame rates plague both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 version of the game.

Underneath all those differences lies the same basic game, and it's not that different from what Tony Hawk fans have come to expect from the series, but the changes are noticeable and welcomed. The big gameplay change this year is the addition of a new slow-motion trick mode called "nail the trick". You can enter it while in the air by pressing in both analog sticks, which slows the action and moves the camera to your feet and your skateboard. At this point, the two analog sticks (or the Sixaxis' tilt sensor, if you're so inclined) control your feet, letting you flip the board around in a variety of ways. It's very strict on its timing, making it difficult to use at first. But as you get better and better at it, you'll find that it's a handy way to rack up some points when worked into your trick combos. The scoring system has been reworked a bit, so it's a little more difficult to post up ridiculous combos and multipliers by abusing a ton of lip, grind, or manual branches. Considering that score inflation in the online mode over the years has made the system difficult for anyone other than the hardest of the hardcore Tony Hawk players to enjoy, bringing the scores back down to earth is a good idea.

EA's SKATE: The closest thing to being on a skateboard, Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced September 19, 2006 that SKATE will be released for the PlayStation®3 system and the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system in 2007. SKATE will deliver the feel of skating through innovative controls, authentic cameras and a fully reactive skateboarding city. The game so far features professional skaters such as Danny Way, Jerry Hsu, Chris Cole, Jason Dill, Dennis Busenitz, and PJ Ladd, as well as a reactive city and relevant in-game cameras that capture and deliver the most authentic skateboard videogame experience to date.

"Our game offers a skate mecca for both skaters and gamers in search of the definitive authentic skating video game experience," said Scott Blackwood, executive producer, EA Black Box. "We’re focused on capturing the actual feeling of skating with the innovative control system, the physics driven animations, and the intelligent cameras working together to really deliver the closest thing to being on a board."

SKATE’s unique control scheme captures the true feel of skating versus the typical button mashing gameplay of past skating games (Thrasher's Skate And Destroy, Grind Session & The Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Series). Featuring physics-driven animations, gamers will have a unique gaming experience every time they pick up the controller since no two tricks will ever be the same.

Developed by EA Black Box in Vancouver, British Columbia, SKATE will deliver all the style, fun, creativity and culture of skateboarding without the countless hours of practice, broken bones and hospital visits. SKATE has not yet been rated by the ESRB.
    (This Article has been Edited from the original on http://www.EA.com)

My Conclusion!:
    EA's SKATE has alot of potential to take Tony Hawk's down from it's throne as #1 game in the Skateboarding genre. Being a 3 year skateboarder myself (started skateboarding because of my friend's uncle not the video games) I appreaciate EA's more realistic (Only Realistic) take on a skateboarding game. This will be enjoyible more to the actual skateboarder rather than gamers that might be use to the many years of the 'fakism' take on a skateboarding game from the Tony Hawk's series. Everything is in speculation for now, but I have a feeling that I won't enjoy another skateboarding game like EA's SKATE if it meets my expectations.
  • there both a bit poo teng to be honest didnt like tony hawks after tony hawks underground, i cant see much difference between the 2 apart from graphice eve then im struggling.Didnt care for the demo much though.