Disappointing Franchises
  • imageimageimageimage
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Ah, game franchises, why must you continue to disappoint your loving fans? I used to love you, Goldeneye 007 for the Nintendo 64. Why have you let your fans down year after year since Goldeneye's inception? It's been a long time since I haven't felt cheated out of my money with a Bond game.

• And San Francisco RUSH, why did you move to L.A.? What was so bad about San Fran that you had to become all "Urban" and stuff? I just loved flying over hills haphazardly and finding those clever shortcuts in your games. Then, you went and got sponsored by MTV? MTV - the same MTV that sucks now?

• And Mortal Kombat. Back before you became so concerned about telling a story and having a plot, you were good. It was all about 3-2-1, Fight! and "FINISH HIM!" But now you're all like: Do the Konquest to collect Koins and Kill Karniverous Kreatures, then go to the Krusty Krab. Either go back to your ROOTS, Mortal Kombat, or just go away all together. We miss the old you. "FRIENDSHIP..."

Ok, how about you people, what once good franchises have let you down over the years? There are so many, I could list them for days.
  • 2 of the better action/ platformer series in the PSOne days were Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Once they got moved to the PS2 and different developers both of those series went downhill fast to become shadows of their former selves. They gave a go at reinventing Spyro with the last game (A New Beginning) and almost pulled it off but it just wasn't quite there.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    2 of the better action/ platformer series in the PSOne days were Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Once they got moved to the PS2 and different developers both of those series went downhill fast to become shadows of their former selves. They gave a go at reinventing Spyro with the last game (A New Beginning) and almost pulled it off but it just wasn't quite there.

I was going to mention Spyro, but I thought I'd let someone else handle that. I agree, I loved the early Bandicoot games and Spyro's, before they became "Racing Games" (???). I did not play "A New Beginning", so thanks for letting me know it didn't work out.

It's sad that developers just give up after one or two games in a series. I guess once they get our money out of the deal, they could care less about doing what's best for the series and actually trying to Advance it.
  • It didn't work out completely but it was still a lot better than "A Hero's Tale" or "Year of the Dragonfly". It's worth renting at first to see how you feel about it. ;)

It's not necessarily the developer that give up- sometimes it's the property owner that decides to change developers to cut some costs.
  • spyro

devil may cry also went a bit belly up too