What's up with Arcades?
  • [CENTER]image[/CENTER]

I was wondering, does anyone on here regularly play actual arcade games? Do you even have an arcade in your city?

In my years, arcades have never been big where I live. It is rare to see a simple arcade machine, and I can actually name the few places I've been to that had an "arcade". Hmm, we've got a decent pizza shop that has about 6 arcade games (Football, racing, maybe a pinball one). We've got a bowling alley that I go to once every four years, lol, they've got an arcade with a lazer quest room.

My point is, from what I see, arcade gaming is just not a big deal in the U.S.A. Is it in your respective countries? I can only speculate that gaming consoles have obliterated simple arcades, and I'd probably be right in guessing that, but maybe in other countries it is bigger.

Are you an arcade gamer at all?

*Note/Suggestion: Sorry to the staff members for always posting gaming topics in the "General Discussions" area, but they don't really belong in the Playstation area either, so... maybe you guys could add a forum section for "Gaming Discussions (Not Sony)". Just a thought.*
  • This is as good a place as any or them-no apologies needed. ;)

Back in the 80s the arcade at the mall was a regular stop for me- eventually, however, they closed up due to just not making enough to remain feasible.

Arcades are a dying breed all over- when you can get the same game at home for $50 (using generalities here) and play it whenever/ as long as you want there is no point in traveling across town to wait in line to play the same thing.
  • Ahhh yes. Arcades. Back in the day, they were the place to be. I could easily drop 20 bucks a day in one and there were a hundred people just like me doing the same every day. Real gold mines in the 80's.

If you want to go back even further, I remember waiting in line for hours to play pinball machines at the swimming pool in the 70's.

Today, there is one pinball machine at the local bowling alley and two arcade games at the pizza inn (a table model Galaga and a Ms. Pac-Man).:(

I wonder if companies like Bally Midway, Taito and Williams (who used to be some of the coin op giants) are even making many coin op arcade games these days?
  • Well over here in good ol' brighty, the only real way you can play proper arcade machines is at the seaside.
    Take for example Scarborough. A great holiday destination. It has the "front" where right along the main street there are numerous arcade store type places.
    They have the machines where you put two pences or ten pences in and you try to get it so the machines pushes your coin onto the bottom shelf and push loads of money out so you get a good amount of winnings. They often have like five pound notes and/or little plastic toys that you can win as well. The notes, however, always have what seems like the equivalent of a tonne of money stopping them getting shoved over the edge.
    Anyway, that's where all the "proper" arcade machines are. The like of Time Crisis 2 and 3. Er, House of the Dead I think one is called. What else? Oh there's the Sniper Scope game. Er, think SEGA Rally is prob one. A few racing games anyway. You know the ones. Where they have like two to four racing car kind of things connected together. Great fun.

Anyway, if you're ever over here and you wanna play "proper" Arcade Machines, go to Scarborough on our East Coast :D
  • We have an arcade in our town. we used to have a few, but they started closing up years ago. We have an indoor theme park type thing called "hollywood connections" andits got a sizable arcade in it. but game rarely change, i think the newest game is one of them dance games.
  • I think that it should be mandatory that California have an arcade. After all, we hold the third largest populated city in the world.

Honestly though, there are no arcades where I live. There is one particular place I know a full blown arcade is, but it is not strictly an arcade. It incorporates mini golf as well as "Laser Jousting";)

The games stay pretty updated around there too. Everytime I walk in there they have the latest DDR game as well as the classic arcade games like skeeball.;)
  • Melinda S STAFF said:... there they have the latest DDR game as well as the classic arcade games like skeeball.;)

You mention DDR. I've never even played it, but passed by it several times just because I didn't want to look like a complete idiot. Now I have a Wii and I can look like a complete idiot in my own home. See it IS better that way :D That's why we aren't going to the arcades anymore!

I don't know if I could call skeeball and arcade game, but I do love that game the most. It is a fun way to get 5 or 10 tickets. Lets see, 5 or 10 tickets used to get me this rightchere: image hopefully that picture brings back some fond memories of Chuckee cheese for you guys and girls :p
  • At one point in the 90's London did have the largest gaming arcade in europe & Sony did take over it for 4 years during the early years of the PS1. To date it's still there but small. If you had around £80 & were skilled you could have spent all day there playing till your eyes bleed.

There are still "micro & mini" arcades in the North East of England but mainly SEGA cabinets and the odd CAPCOM ones along KONAMI.

Time like these I wished I still had the space for my Arcade MAME cabinet that took a year to build :(
  • Chris N STAFF said:

Time like these I wished I still had the space for my Arcade MAME cabinet that took a year to build :(

Wow, got any pictures of that? I wish I was talented enough with electronics to build an arcade machine.
  • mcw1011 said:
    I don't know if I could call skeeball and arcade game, but I do love that game the most. It is a fun way to get 5 or 10 tickets.

Are you kidding?! How could you NOT call skeeball an arcade game? It's the one game I see at EVERY arcade I go to.

Personally, I can't say that Wii will take over the arcade franchise. There's been so many problems with it that I would much rather not buy it and go to arcades for my gaming enjoyment!:p
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    Are you kidding?! How could you NOT call skeeball an arcade game? It's the one game I see at EVERY arcade I go to.

Personally, I can't say that Wii will take over the arcade franchise. There's been so many problems with it that I would much rather not buy it and go to arcades for my gaming enjoyment!:p

By arcade game, I simply meant a box with a screen in it that plays video games and often includes a joystick.

Skeeball is a wooden table with holes in it. But yes, it is in every "Arcade" that's left.
  • mcw1011 said:
    Skeeball is a wooden table with holes in it. But yes, it is in every "Arcade" that's left.

I think you and I have different concepts on skeeball. Skeeball doesn't involve a table.

It involves a big lane that you skid balls up.

THAT is skeeball.
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    I think you and I have different concepts on skeeball. Skeeball doesn't involve a table.

It involves a big lane that you skid balls up.

THAT is skeeball.

OH YES! Thats Skeeball which I'm the champ of!!!! That is Arcade Gaming along with pinball tables, air hockey, mini golf, pool.

I can still remember that on the sea front where I live was an arcade (now a snooker hall) and they had Black Cat Alley. All it was were a night skyline with black tin cats popping up & a gun mounted to the cabinet. It was only 5p ago & I spent hours on it. When the owners felt the decline of the business they turned it into a snooker hall & all those machines were dumped outside in a skip to rust away :frown:

When were down the east coast (Whitby, not that chav scum filled Scarborough) Jane drags me into the arcades along the marina & tucked away in the corner is a perfect condition Space Invaders cabinet. Up the main church street bank is a clothing shop & in the back is a cocktail table space invaders. Been trying to get the girl for years to sell it to me & last year she threw it out to make space for more stock. I was f'in gutted!
  • Chris N STAFF said:
    ...When were down the east coast (Whitby, not that chav scum filled Scarborough)...

Er, 'scuse me? :frown: Scarborough rules. I am in no way a chav either! I've been there numerous times since I was a baby and it's a great family destination. There's loads to do, and you're only a half hour, if that, train ride away from Bridlington which isn't too bad of a family destination either. :p
    To be honest, though, I've never been to Whitby, it IS supposed to be a nice place. I wanna go there just to see Cap'n Cooks ship, argh! :eek:
  • Gives a shout when you want to go to Whitby & We'll meet up. Just ask Jane, I know every single street & back alley better than where I live right now. Have eaten in every single fish & chip shop & had a drink in every single pub. I've been there every year since I was born & we like to go there for the day (50 miles down the road) just to chill out for a stroll along the streets & beach front. I don't think there's a bit of building I've not photographed apart from Bram Stokers memorial stone in the headlands (it's hidden well but there's another one for public show)

BTW - Best fish & chips in the UK, no question!!!

I've had an holiday at Scarborough before when I was little, couldn't say I liked it much, but love the first week there on the North side where the water park is & Peasome Park? Do they still have the big ass model battle ships fighting in the lake?
  • Chris N STAFF said:
    I've had an holiday at Scarborough before when I was little, couldn't say I liked it much, but love the first week there on the North side where the water park is & Peasome Park? Do they still have the big ass model battle ships fighting in the lake?

Up to er last year, I think, they still did the Battle Ship toy war games thingy. It's brilliant. I've, unfortunately, only ever seen it a hand full of times. Wish I could've seen it every year we went, because it's brilliant.
    Er, what about the Sea Life Centre? That's really good. They've got practically anything and everything you'd wanna see, except whales and other big fish/mammals that you couldn't really fit in a Sea Life Centre anyway. They've got Seals, and Turtles, and Penguins, and Otters and other stuff though. Even got Sharks, so that's a great place to visit.
  • So far as I know, just up until this past (2006) Spring, there is still quite a nice "real" arcade just a few miles up the road from me. My son and his date, and the whole crew, went there for a couple hours before their Senior Prom, and he brought home some cool video footage of the place. They not only have all the "classic" arcade games (ie: skeetball, air-hockey tables, pinball machines.. you name it) but they also have a quadruple sized DDR floor as well. He video'd his date and his friend's date DDR'ing in their formal gowns, they looked soooo sweet!!!!! Well, in a "I'm a Mom" sorta way! < =D

So, at least here in my little Southern Maryland, USA, part of the world, the true arcade is still alive and kicking,.. and thriving!!