Could Cd's Be Killed Off By Itunes?
  • [CENTER]image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sad. You want to know why? I'm sad because everytime I try to embrace technology, I get screwed. I loved cassette tapes and bought a lot of them when I was younger. I didn't think that there was much wrong with them. They sounded fine to me back then.

Then something called the Compact Disc came out. While I was happily flipping over my cassettes to the b-sides, someone out there was happily removing their cassettes from their store shelves. It all happened so fast.

It took me a long time to grasp the idea of the CD as a way to listen to music. It's funny that I had a Playstation 1, but was barely figuring out what a Music CD was.

So, eventually I caved in and got a portable CD player. All my cassettes were a lost cause, and that made me sad. All my money went to waste, and I was left with only fond memories of the tunes that had entered my ears as an impressionable youth.

I have amassed many CD's in the years since the cassettes were put to rest. I would have more in my collection, had I not gotten caught up in this idea of "Trading In" what wasn't up to par. I like the physical CD and case it is in. I like being able to pull one off of the shelf like it is a book, and look at the cover, read the liner notes and listen to it.

But now it seems that could be taken away from me yet again. I keep hearing that Digital Downloading, be it illegal or the Itunes way, is killing off the physical Compact Disc. That is why I am now sad.

I was slow to catch on to Digital downloading as well, because I assumed no matter how you did it you were stealing (Thanks Napster and Kazaa for ruining poor peoples lives). Eventually, I got iTunes and embraced the technology. I liked to burn the songs to discs, because I did not yet have an mp3 player.

Eventually I did buy an... drum roll please...

iPod.

I began transferring my physical cd's to mp3 format and listening on my iPod while working. When I drove around in my car, I preferred the Compact Disc as a listening preference.

Which brings me to now. I have an inner struggle every time I go to buy a CD (Don't laugh). The struggle is in two parts:

Part 1: Should I support the local independent music store in my town or should I give my money to the major corporation department store when I buy my CD?

Part 2 (The hardest one to decide upon): Should I drive the distance to the nearest store that may or may not have the CD I want in stock... or... should I simply go on iTunes and buy it right away?

Let's look more into Part 2 of my essay. Do I want to have the actual manufactured Compact Disc of my favorite band in my hands? Or should I just download and burn the CD to a disc, and lose the album insert altogether? That is basically what it comes down to. You know very well that you cannot burn a CD and make it look anywhere near as good as if you had bought it off the store shelf.

If Digital Downloading kills off the CD, what's next? Could Blu-Ray movies already be on their way out of the market? Could they be replaced by downloadable movies too?

It's all so painful to think about, and maybe I am a little materialistic, but it just pains me to be in a constant tug of war with the conglomerate of electronics companies and retail outlets just to keep my favorite things intact.

Make me feel better, just give me some guidance, and think about this for a minute or two. I think in the end, the major corporations will always have final say when it comes to what's next to replace ____. But I'm hoping somehow we can change that someday. Cause it's just not fair anymore!

*Stomps off and has a tantrum*

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[/CENTER]
  • I don't think Itunes can overtake the compact disc, theres just isn't any way, over 70% of the time i listen to music is in my car, as i have a cd player you can plug mp3 players into, i dont have an Ipod, and wene i plug my psp up to it it doesnt sound all that great, seeing as how alot of people listen to there music in a vehichle, and some people dont even have the internet, i would say it is well worth going to the local cd store and grabbing a cd off the shelf, well after i think about it memory cards have the potential to clean cds off the shelves, but it would probably raise the price of music.
  • Cd sales have taken a bit of a dip with the appearance of digital downloads from iTunes and elsewhere but I don't think we will ever see the Cd disappear entirely- at least, not until someone comes up with another way to make a hard copy of the music that becomes widely accepted. 8 track tapes and records gave way to cassettes, which gave way to CD.

Right now I don't think there is anything on the horizon to overtake CDs. Many people still like to have the disc and be able to use it anywhere, anytime without messing with transferring their wanted songs between the computer and MP3 player. You also miss out on some of the little extras inside the CD case (pictures, lyrics, etc.) going with all digital download.
  • iTunes buying out the CD Market? I doubt it.

Much of iTunes is reliant on CD hard copies and if there are no CD hard copies of the music they have no database for their customers to search out. I can tell you right now iTunes does not have a complete CD database to make a buying out like this possible.

Me personally, I'm a junk hoard and still have my casette tapes. I think the last cassette tape I bought was 2gether forever which I still have and am ready to play once I find a player..:) Never got into that whole "trading in". When I needed money as a kid, I'd just pull a tooth out.
  • **As I pop in the store-bought cd of my latest favourite, Marc Anthony's Sigo Siendo Yo**

There is just no way that I can see the cd going anywhere... other than smaller, that is. For one thing, iPods and their ilk (which require headphones/earphones to listen) are limited in a few ways:
    1: Those are made for single "audiences".. what do ya do at a party!?!? Ya gotta, and I mean gotta have some other way to play music for more than one person at a time!
    2: And how about them drivers who like to jam while driving? I'm sure one of those people, and as far as I know, it's illegal to wear headphones/earphones and the like while driving; it's a safety hazard 'cause it impares the ability to hear emergency vehicles that may sneak up on ya while you're not paying attention. (same goes for blaring the car stereo too loudly, mind you, but most people ignore that)

Nope, as for me, I will continue to visit that "amazon" place on a regular basis to purchase my favourite pre-recorded music for a very very long time. Those artists and all their compadres put a LOT into what they lay down on that disc, they deserve to make a proper profit!!!!!!! Even though digital downloading may be legal, it still strikes me as 'piracy' somehow, and I hate that with a passion!!!!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents' worth! :p
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    8 track tapes and records gave way to cassettes, which gave way to CD.

Gimme those 8 track tapes back! I've still got a juke box in the garage that plays them! ;)

iTunes and digital downloads are killing one of the forms of expression for the band... the album covers.:(

For portability (much like the Walkman in it's day) combined with the convenient size of players and the sheer volume they'll hold make mp3 players hard to resist. Still, there is something to be said for having that CD in your hot little hands. Like, when your player gets run over by a car or gets dropped into a toilet when you're drunk one night!

For everyday home use, I'll stick with my store bought CD's. What would Lars think of me downloading music?:mad: