Name Change For Playstation 3 Online?
  • Hey guys,

I can't seem to figure out how to change my own sign in name for the Playstation Network on my PS3. I need to change it so that it will change in the online games I play like Resistance, as well.

I really need to know guys, because I tried to do it on my PS3, and I can't find where you alter the info... (I already have a Playstation Network account set up, if that matters...)

Has anyone figured that out already? :huh:
  • Quick answer here- you can't. The PSN ID is permanent. Your only recourse is to make a new ID using the name you want under a different e-mail address.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Quick answer here- you can't. The PSN ID is permanent. Your only recourse is to make a new ID using the name you want under a different e-mail address.

Oh no... I don't remember seeing that when I signed up... :(

If I make a new ID... can I delete the old one?

And if I make a new ID, I lose all of my achievements in Resistance, huh?

This is terrible. :unsure:
  • You could try copying the saves onto a thumb drive or memory card and move them back on when you get the new master account set up. Once you do that you could then delete the old user off the PS3- it'll still be in Sony's database but that isn't a biggie. Any purchases from the PlayStation Store would be lost too, btw, and you would have to redownload any demos and/ or movies you had. You may be better off putting up with the name.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You could try copying the saves onto a thumb drive or memory card and move them back on when you get the new master account set up. Once you do that you could then delete the old user off the PS3- it'll still be in Sony's database but that isn't a biggie. Any purchases from the PlayStation Store would be lost too, btw, and you would have to redownload any demos and/ or movies you had. You may be better off putting up with the name.

Thanks for telling me about the memory card idea... but for Resistance, are my online gaming stats for it saved on the PS3... meaning, I can move them to a memory card somehow? That is the main thing I do not want to lose, because I have played it for so long now.
  • Your online stats would be tied to your name and in Sony's database, not on the PS3- no way to move them, I'm afraid.
  • Hi, I'm having the same problem, wanting to change my online name.
    I like Call of Duty 4 online but want to change the name. Do I create
    another Network account and then delete old one? Thanks guys.
  • The only way to do a name change is to set up a new PSN account using another e-mail address. Your stats on the old name can't be transferred to the new one- they are permanently tied to that name and stored on the game servers.

You will likely want to keep the old master account on the PS3 if you have some games purchased from PSN, just in case deleting it disabled being able to play those games.
  • tha\t correct the dowload history goes under your account name so if you dlete that you delete the lot but if you show them the purchasng receipts that you get via email i think youn get it creited back.
  • Hey, ther is infact now a way to change your playstation network id ONCE for free, ther is a form on the official playstation website, for those too lazy to look, here is a direct link to the form they provide

Link removed
  • John, that site is not legit. Something like that Sony would host on their own site plus they would have announced this sort of thing on their official blogs. They never did offer a way to change your user name and haven't said they would any time soon. I've removed your link to avoid any potential account theft (which i am thinking this site is actually set up to do).
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    John, that site is not legit. Something like that Sony would host on their own site plus they would have announced this sort of thing on their official blogs. They never did offer a way to change your user name and haven't said they would any time soon. I've removed your link to avoid any potential account theft (which i am thinking this site is actually set up to do).

ok then soz for being lazy but i just created a new hotmail account and changed my id but deegan_andrew still comes up as my idinstead of No7.McManaman (for Fifa) any1 know how i can change this without spending on silly memory sticks
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    Thanks for telling me about the memory card idea... but for Resistance, are my online gaming stats for it saved on the PS3... meaning, I can move them to a memory card somehow? That is the main thing I do not want to lose, because I have played it for so long now.

i want new id so wen i play fifa i have a player name of my choice ie ive just created a new hotmail (No7.McManaman). Could some1 explain how i can do this without losing my pro player progress???? thanks oh and Merry Xmas
  • Sorry, deegan, but you cannot move your stats between names. Your new ID would be starting from scratch on every game.
  • thanks for the info even though it werent good info haha all the best
  • My little bro made my PSN account without asking me and picked a nerdy name.:mad: I have been playing my account on MW2 on the same account but people make fun of me. Please help me!:D
  • Nightmare, if you had checked the answers up above you would have your answer- you can't change the name. I suggest leaving the old name to your little brother (sounds like it may suit him anyway ;) ) and make yourself a new user and PSN name using a different e-mail address.
  • YourWorstNightmare said:
    My little bro made my PSN account without asking me and picked a nerdy name.:mad: I have been playing my account on MW2 on the same account but people make fun of me. Please help me!:D

Believe me, as a "older" gamer, there really are more important things in life to worry about than people you don't know laughing at your screen name.

Keep playing, if it is "nerdy" or whatever, that just makes your username unique.
  • So after a little research... STAFF is right, this is straight from us.playstation.com

Closing a PlayStation Network account
    If you wish no one to access the PlayStation Network account, you can also have it banned or suspended by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). To ban or suspend a PlayStation Network account, please contact SCEA Consumer Services' Accounts and Billing line at 1-877-971-7669.

Prior to having your account closed, you will want to deactivate your PlayStation
  • I know this is sort of late but seeing as this dates back to 2007, I don't think it's much of a big deal.

Is this a issue of sony just being lazy?
    Did sony just not prepare for information to be changed at any point of time besides if information is being added onto/or the account is being deleted/banned.

Now I'm just someone-who-doesn't-know-anything about Sony's database so I could just be posting this and end up looking like a idiot who doesn't know anything.
    Now I never have thought username changes to be such of a big deal, it happens everywhere and usually is possible even if the account is involved in transactions. I thought it was just a simple change in the servers and then 'poof' your username is different.

Now I heard that Xbox users can change their usernames, I've heard, not veryfied. I know that Xbox live and Playstation network are two different competitors but both are ususally involved in the same game and possibly down loadable content and both also have stores (as far as I know, which like I said, I might not know anything).

I'll stop rambling.
    Really, why CAN'T sony do username changes?
  • They did this mainly because they know some people would try using this to get around player blocks and being a continued pain in the @$$ online with harassment. Now, you are right that Microsoft does allow name changes- but you have to pay for the privilege.
  • I'm trying to create a new PS3 Network account and it WILL NOT let me choose the username I want to use. I know the user name doesn't exist and it follows all the rules (correct number of characters, etc...)

The only thing I can think of is that my account on my PS3 is the same username, but would that matter?

Does anyone know why something like the following could not be created?
    Note: This is NOT the user name I'm trying to use, this is just an example.
    Lets assume it is not taken by someone.

Goooee

The ps3 network just keeps saying it can't be used. Is it because my account on my PS3 is Goober too?
  • so you have to make a new one huh?
    well i could live whit that, does that mean that i would lose all my trophys (i have been playing acb lately and allmost have platinum) or is there a way to keep the trophys?
  • That's right, you would lose all trophies as they are forever tied to the original name they were earned on. They don't transfer over.
  • I have read all of these and am wondering how and where I would go to pay for the name change?
    Thanks
  • As was said in the above posts, Sony does not allow name changes on the PSN accounts. If you do decide on a name change you would need to set up an entirely new PSN account for that name with a different e-mail address than used now. Also, any trophies/ stats from games played on the old name do NOT transfer over- you would be starting completely over.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion