PS3 Internet connection
  • I have just got a new ps3, and although when setting uo its finds an IP address succesfully it then will not connect, with a proxy name error. I am using a dlink wireless router if that helps. What shud I do?
  • I found connecting to be easiest by assigning an IP address to the PS3 in the router's DHCP settings and enter the numbers manually in the PS3's settings.

Go into System Information in the PS3's Settings menu and write down the MAC Address, you will need this while adjusting the router. Now go into the router set up and make your way to the DHCP settings- it should be the last blue button on the left side of the screen. First make sure DHCP Server is Enabled at the top. Further down you see Static DHCP- this is where you need to be. Select Enabled and put in an IP address finish that you know won't conflict with anything else- 125, perhaps. next enter in the PS3's MAC Address in the blanks below and hit Apply.

With that done go to the Status tab and leave this up- you will need the numbers here for Subnet mask and DNS Servers. Now go back to the PS3 and edit in the numbers, including the IP address you set up on the router. If you are using encryption on your router you will need the key to give the PS3 so that it can be IDed as a friendly to the router. Once you have the settings in you can go all the way to the end to save settings and test things out. You should now have no problems getting online.
  • thanks, i have done the dhcp bit, but when i go to status page I am a bit confused. Under WAN, I have an IP adress, a subnet mask, a default gateway
    and a very lenghty DNS. On the PS3 settings page, it asks for the IP adress (no problem) the subnet mask, whcih i presume is the one under WAN, but next is asks for default router, (whats that) and then primary and secondary DNS.The DNS section only allows for 4 differnet numbers in each, whereas the DNS on my status page is 61.9194.49.......... etc etc, so way too long.
    Appreciate your help, as I am getting v frustrated!
  • The default router is the IP address you enter to get to your router's set up page.

That is a very odd DNS Server address- definitely not in the standards normally used. You could try splitting that DNS addy up into the four blanks, making it 61.91.94.49- if that doesn't work you may want to contact your ISP about that DNS address, it may well not be correct.
  • we are in business, the dns needed to be breoken down as you said, everything works, thanks for all your help,
  • Hi...

So i have been trying to follow what Lyndon M STAFF wrote in his first post, and i get to Further down you see Static DHCP- this is where you need to be.

I cant figure where that is ... here is what i see :o

• Those instructions pertain to certain brands of routers- ever one seems to do things just a bit different, it seems.

If you go into the Client Address Pools at the right I think you should be ableto set up a custom IP for the PS3. If that doesn't have it try setting for Auto DHCP and have the PS3 try to get its IP automatically as well.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Those instructions pertain to certain brands of routers- ever one seems to do things just a bit different, it seems.

If you go into the Client Address Pools at the right I think you should be ableto set up a custom IP for the PS3. If that doesn't have it try setting for Auto DHCP and have the PS3 try to get its IP automatically as well.

I'm still having problems, i went to Client Address Pools and there is already..

Name Start Address End Address Intf State PPP
    LAN_private 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.254 eth0 static -

What would i have to put as the ip for the PS3?
  • Weird, i updated to firmware 1.7 ... than had no problems getting online
  • I had the same problem, someone on another PS3 thread told me to try setting my DNS to the folowing and it worked:
    Primary DNS 4.2.2.2
    Secondary DNS 4.2.2.3
  • ive had a ps3 for a while now. hooked it up at home wirelessly and no problems, perfect! updates the lot. ive left home and gone in student halls. ive now tried hooking up wired and no luck. ive got superfast internet (well the fastest possible) so it should work. ive got online with it once and then cant get on anymore. getting error code 80028E01 when i test the connection. make ip address but fails internet connection but have had it get to connection speed before then failed. the only issue is it goes into the "wall" so ethernet connection in the place. any suggestions please :D
  • Jordan, the problem you are having is thanks to the school having a much more tightened up internet set up. You'll need to talk to the people that run the internet there aout making some tweaks (port forwarding, maybe even a reserved IP address) so that the PS3 can get online proper.