In need of your opinion!
  • A new blog entry has been added:

[drupal=201]In need of your opinion![/drupal]

Hi everybody! Glad you've stopped in to see my blog. Where I work, it has been a little slow lately, because we are having trouble with our main suppliers who provide us with building materials. We have had a lot of down time, and I even got to take today off (WOOHOO!!!) because of it. While down time is terrible for a business, its good for me. It gives me time to think, rest, and do something besides work for a change.
  • As long as your costs don't outweigh your possible profits I don't see why not. Being a risk taker myself, I'd do it!
  • Mike C STAFF said:
    As long as your costs don't outweigh your possible profits I don't see why not. Being a risk taker myself, I'd do it!

:) Good to hear. Thanks for your feedback.

Well, the wood used would be free for me. The nails/glue used would be a slight cost, I'd have to tally that up.

The way I see it, there aren't a whole lot of accessories for the PS3 right now, so I'd be smart to capitalize :p on that.

I will try my best to get to work on the prototype today, hopefully I'll have some spare time of cut all of the pieces down. When its done, this forum will be first to see it :)
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    ...When its done, this forum will be first to see it :)

Cool, but could you like host your pictures some other way? The library computers don't allow access to the imageshack website. I don't have a damn clue why when it's just a picture hosting site. I've told them about it, but still no luck.
    Argh, it's annoying! :mad:
  • How are you planning on getting the product to people. Are you gonna sell on ebay or have your own website?
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Cool, but could you like host your pictures some other way? The library computers don't allow access to the imageshack website. I don't have a damn clue why when it's just a picture hosting site. I've told them about it, but still no luck.
    Argh, it's annoying! :mad:

Oh, I had no idea Jason. Yeah, I will use a different image host, and I'll edit that last post right now so that you can see the prototype picture I drew. Sorry about that.

Mike C STAFF said:
    How are you planning on getting the product to people. Are you gonna sell on ebay or have your own website?

Mike, I was thinking of trying it out on eBay. That seems most logical right now, as website hosting costs an astronomical amount. I have already sold a number of CDs and things like that on ebay, so I've got a good reputation there.

I will post a NEW picture a little bit later of my actual wooden prototype. It is a poor first attempt, I'm sorry to say :huh:. But, it will give you an idea of what I am going for. I will have to refine it a little more before attempting to make a couple and sell them.

Glad you guys are interested in my little project.
  • [CENTER]Alright everybody. Here it is... the dreaded prototype :p. I had a spare 30 minutes to try and build something today while at work, so I took advantage of it.

Before scoffing at these pictures, keep in mind that it is VERY hard to make something from scratch to "Custom-fit" a Playstation controller. I found that out as soon as I began my project, and you should be able to see what I mean in these included pictures.

I really need some feedback on these, as they are pretty close to what I want the finished version to look like. I need to make one gap dissapear before they look professional, but I am confident that I can accomplish that.

Take a close look, and let me know what you think of it.

Well, tomorrow is Friday, so maybe I'll get a few minutes to try and work out the kinks. If not, I'll have to work some more on it next week. More pictures to come then.
    [/CENTER]
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    Oh, I had no idea Jason. Yeah, I will use a different image host, and I'll edit that last post right now so that you can see the prototype picture I drew. Sorry about that.

Cheers for changing the image hosting, the picture shows up perfectly fine now :D

Er just a minor thing. It's not exactly family friendly. I know a lot of PS3 owners will be like me, mid 20s ish (or older), no kids etc but there are people who own PS3's and have families, mostly young children.
    The pointed edges aren't very safe in that aspect are they?

Could you not make it kind of rounded to:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Match the shape of the controller (with it's curves ;) lol) and
    [*]Make it child safe, so no corners stuck in a childs eye when they fall over. (That also applies to the single 20 or 30 somethings that have had a lot to drink, can barely stand up, and end up tripping over their own feet nevermind the cables :eek:)
    [/LIST]
    I mean, it's just a suggestion. The final say is obviously up to you as it's your project. Just thinking about the whole "Family friendly things sell!"

Jay
  • Using a router to round off the corners would be a good idea- just takes a few seconds too. Maybe the top half inch or so would do

You would definitely want to have it painted to match the system color.

Just curious, were you intending for people to use their own USB cable or is that included? I ask this because I wonder if it would be an idea to rig it so that the USB plug is in a position to let people slide it on for charging. The majority of the cable could remain hidden and maybe have a small hole in the end for some cable to trail out to connect to the PS3.

You could probably get rid of that space by just trimming the width by an inch or so- make it just wide enough to hold the controller. You may want to also consider making the holder itself a bit smaller- maybe by about one third taken off the height ( or around where your second nails from the bottom are).
  • Wow, thanks a lot for all of the feedback, guys. It really does help, because when you are making something like this, you kind of get stuck in a one-sided mindset. It helps to hear an outside opinion on it.

OK, Jason, you said:

Jason F Staff said:

Could you not make it kind of rounded to:[LIST=1]
    [*]Match the shape of the controller (with it's curves ;) lol)
    [/LIST]That's a very good idea. The only problem is, the more curves you add, the tougher it is to make matching pieces, and the harder it is to finish the piece (What with the sanding and painting I plan on doing to it). But I agree that it is kind of dangerous for children :D. But hey, a kid is either going to pull a PS3 over on his head, or a triangular piece of wood (Which is very light wood). I would rather a triangular piece of wood fall on his head:p. Less damage there.

And Lyndon, you said:

Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Using a router to round off the corners would be a good idea- just takes a few seconds too. Maybe the top half inch or so would do

You would definitely want to have it painted to match the system color.

Just curious, were you intending for people to use their own USB cable or is that included? I ask this because I wonder if it would be an idea to rig it so that the USB plug is in a position to let people slide it on for charging. The majority of the cable could remain hidden and maybe have a small hole in the end for some cable to trail out to connect to the PS3.

You could probably get rid of that space by just trimming the width by an inch or so- make it just wide enough to hold the controller. You may want to also consider making the holder itself a bit smaller- maybe by about one third taken off the height ( or around where your second nails from the bottom are).

That's a lot of suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to write that. OK, first up, the router. This goes along with Jason's suggestion about the roundness. I will have to think about this more when I go to make future versions of my design. I've got a router and sanders, so it just comes down to how much spare time I run across to do something like that. But it is a good thought.

About paint. I agree. I need to take a look at the paint section of the store this weekend and pick out some primer and paint, because I think it would do wonders for the look of my stand. I would definitely paint it black.

The small hole idea, about the USB... that is another really good suggestion. That way you could charge the controller without taking it off the stand, and all of the USB cable can still hide under the stand, out of the way. Man, I have got some work to do ;).

And last, you mentioned the height. I would have liked to have made it shorter, but it is very hard to explain why it can't be. Let me just say that I tried my best, and I am going to show you a picture of it next to the PS3, and you'll get a better idea of the actual finished size it will be.

OK, so I had some time today to make two more prototypes. I made these before seeing you guys' great suggestions, so they are basically just a better version of my previous prototype (I like that word). I have not been able to paint them yet, and I will also probably fill in the nail holes you see, so I promise, it will look a lot better once that is accomplished.

Thanks again for all of the excellent feedback. I couldn't have made this without your help. I hope I can get a routine going so that I can sell a few in a row. That's what I'm aiming for at this point.
  • OK, HERE ARE THE NEWEST PICTURES, WITH MY BEST LOOKING PROTOTYPE SO FAR... THIS WAS MADE BEFORE YOUR SUGGESTIONS WERE RECEIVED. TAKE A LOOK, BECAUSE I SEE THAT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO ALTER IT YET AGAIN AFTER TODAY...:

[CENTER]image
    image[/CENTER]
  • [CENTER]Well, this is it. Today I took the two display stands that I had built in the above images and I finished them up all by myself. I grabbed my dremel tool and notched out an opening for the USB cable to come through, and also another notch at the bottom/back of the stand for the cord to trail out of. The rest of the cable hides underneath the stand beautifully.

I am really proud of how it turned out. I knew it would turn out looking a lot better once it was primed and painted. At this point I do not know if I am going to mass-produce and sell these. Maybe I'll put a few up on Ebay here in a week just to see how they do. But I'm definitely keeping one for myself. It just works perfectly! Now, wouldn't you rather buy a custom, handmade controller stand instead of a plastic cheap Nyko stand? I thought so. Hopefully you all are ready to buy a few...

Here are some pictures to illustrate how it turned out.

This first one is with primer on it, and no base paint yet.

This one is after applying matte black paint (I had some leftover from something else, its pretty decent paint), finished!

And here, thanks to your suggestions, I was able to implement the cord run-through feature. It worked out pretty well.

And that's about it. Like I said, I'm happy with it, and that's what matters most. If I wasn't happy with it, I wouldn't dare try and sell it. Anything I plan on selling will have to look good, no matter what.

If you have any final remarks, bring them on, as I am sure this isn't the last you'll see of my work on this thread. I'm going to keep on keeping on.

*Also, any white dots in the picture are just dust. Its hard to keep black stuff clean, am I right? The still really do look better than the picture can show.*
    [/CENTER]
  • Looks great- just need to round off those top corners there and you should be good to go. B)
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Looks great- just need to round off those top corners there and you should be good to go. B)

ARG. Easier said than done my friend :) Easier said than done. Well, I'll definitely try that for my next model. I won't be able to make any more until next week, but I'm up to the challenge.
  • Being a professional design engineer I might be able to lend a hand.
    I understand that you are doing this all by hand and intend to keep on doing so. A general advice though is that you'll talk to professionals about how to deal with things you are having problems with. Perhaps the person selling you the wood can help you saw them out in the exact shape you are after without much extra charge, and the paint guy could probably help you select a paint that matches the controller perfectly...

If you are having problems getting symmetry in your model, which can be quite hard (I been there too), you might wanna build in some referenses.

In your case I can see a couple of things you could do.

If you wanna rond off the top quite alot, you cold start off by cutting off the top part of your side triangles. The pieces you get can them be used to wedge (blue piece in my pic) in between the angles sides so that gap in the middle is filled up and as a bonus you'll align the sides to the end triangles.

If you then screw the sides together you could position one screw to be the center of a circle that describes the round shape you are trying to get. Simply draw it out on the wood using a pen, a piece of string and the screw(s) as rotational center to get equal sides. Then you grind that sucker in to shape.