PS3 online browsing - No video?
  • I haven't used my PS3 to browse online too much, but it seems like every time I do, its just a hassle. Its still much easier to browse on my computer rather than my PS3.

I'm curious, why is the PS3 limited to only playing certain videos in its browser? I went online to watch one video off of abc.com, and it said something to the effect of: "Macromedia Flash Player upgrade required, unknown system." Of course, I can't download the upgrade to the flash player... so why can't Sony update it theirselves? Would it really be that hard to update the flash player in our systems so that it could actually play videos online?

Its frustrating. I pay with my soul to get a Playstation 3, and it doesn't do all that it claims to be able to do. :( Maybe I should send this same message to playstation.com customer service. I'm guessing that the reply they would send would look a lot like this:

"Thank you for contacting us. We value your suggestions and/or comments.

... Please visit the following page to learn about all of the videos that the PS3 cannot play in our online browser: Right here idiot. We regret to inform you that we are not at this time working on any kind of firmware update to correct the problem. We will never do such a thing, as it would make you a happy customer of SCEA. We don't really want happy customers ;).

If this reply sucked, you can take our 13 page survey by clicking this link - to express your concerns. We will not read it, nor will we reply to it... we will probably just add you to our Spamblocker list and be done wid' it.

Peace out,

- Sanjaya Malakar, Customer Support And Harassment Department,
    SCEA"
  • The reply back wouldn't be that snarky- just a canned response along the lines of "thanks for writing, we appreciate your feedback".

I don't know why they feel the need to "gimp" the browser on here (and the PSP for that matter) by using older versions of some plug ins. Whatever the reason, I won't be using it for anything other than checking our folding ranking once in awhile.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    The reply back wouldn't be that snarky- just a canned response along the lines of "thanks for writing, we appreciate your feedback".

Whatever the reason, I won't be using it for anything other than checking our folding ranking once in awhile.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic about their response :p. I wish someone would reply like that once and a while. That would make things more interesting. I agree, they would just send me a copynpaste reply. I always get that junk.

Yeah, that's one thing the PS3 can do. Check our folding rank :rolleyes:. That's another thing, have you noticed on one of the folding browser screens (I think it's the one about "Learn More About Folding@Home)... when you try and open it while you are already folding it says: One or more browser windows can not be opened. Please close one before opening this one.

But then it closes the one you are looking at and will not let you open the other one. Have you run into that? It's only in the little folding area, it is one of the links you can click on there...
  • Yes, i did run into that- i guess it counts the folding itself as a browser window and there is a limit on how many can be open. Somewhat annoying.

This is something that will have to be fixed in future firmware updates- we just have to bear with it for now.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Yes, i did run into that- i guess it counts the folding itself as a browser window and there is a limit on how many can be open. Somewhat annoying.

Well, at least it isn't just me having this problem. Its minor, yes, but I'd like to see what's on that darn folding page :huh:. I may never know - and that bugs me :mellow:.