Controller issue since 1.7
  • :confused: Hey everyone
    First post, and wanted to thankyou for a great resource.

    Anyway, enough creeping...

    I had a bad experience with 1.7 update.
    Basically I updated as usual, however on reboot the ps3 froze and required a hard reset.
    On reset all was well, the update was found and installed without a hitch.
    However, a day later my controller froze and the lights all came on at once and started frantically flashing.
    A soft reset didn't work, neither did a hard reset.
    I waited for 30 minutes and it was fine, BUT when I went to unplug the usb cable the lights went mad again and refused to lock into its designated position [1] soon as I plugged in the usb charger cable #1 light came on and all was well.
    I checked the battery level and while not full was far from empty, but to be safe I charged the controller, soon as I removed the usb cable AGAIN went the lights...and this has continued ad nauseum.

    On the surface it looks like a simple case of recharging but its not, the controller IS charged but refuses to lock in to 'one'.

    Any ideas ?

    thanks in advance

    tb
  • Sounds like a simple matter of the controller losing its pairing to the system. I've seen one or two others on other forums go through this.

    Have a look at the back of the controller. See that small hole above the top right corner of the label? It's a reset button. Find a small needle or a pen with a long tip and give that a push- then you should be able to get the controller paired up with the PS3 again.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Sounds like a simple matter of the controller losing its pairing to the system. I've seen one or two others on other forums go through this.

    Have a look at the back of the controller. See that small hole above the top right corner of the label? It's a reset button. Find a small needle or a pen with a long tip and give that a push- then you should be able to get the controller paired up with the PS3 again.


    URGENT: SONY TELLS ME 1.7 HAS AN ISSUE WITH SOME CONSOLES.
    AFTER 1.7 THE CONTROLLERS ARE REFUSING A 'LOCK' AND CAN ONLY WORK WITH THE USB [VERY SHORT] CHARGING CABLE.
    This was read out to me by a team manager who has just received an official head office email regarding the issue.
    IF THE CUSTOMER HAS THE ISSUE PLEASE RING IN ASAP WITH YOUR CONSOLE DETAILS.


    tb
  • From what i have been seeing around the web using the reset button on the back should clear things up. If your controllers are still acting up i would suggest calling Sony themselves and have them straighten the mess out (after all, they caused it ;) ).

    Myself, my system had no problems at all with the update. This is only happening with a very small fraction of units, i think.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    From what i have been seeing around the web using the reset button on the back should clear things up. If your controllers are still acting up i would suggest calling Sony themselves and have them straighten the mess out (after all, they caused it ;) ).

    Myself, my system had no problems at all with the update. This is only happening with a very small fraction of units, i think.


    Lyndon

    I tried the reset to no avail....
    Basically I gave it the old college try by a console hard reset then controller reset, then console cold boot.
    Got the grey 'PS' symbol in top right hand side window, tried pusing the PS button..nothing.
    Rang sony and was promised that I will be contacted by next level support, TS also stated not to bother with a new controller as it won't work.

    tb
  • Guess I had better consider myself lucky I wound up with no problems then. Good luck dealing with level 2 tech support.
  • I recently received some emails from people with exactly the same problem as mine so i have decided to post the resolution to my problem here:

    Sony were FANTASTIC, the 1.7 update had blown the bluetooth chip [symptoms no wireless controller usage or adding any bluetooth device] while the PS3 worked it couldn't work wirelessly.
    Sony did some quick vaildation checks with me over the phone and sent out a brand new ps3 via fast courier, I didn't have to box and post off mine or anything, all I did was await the courier, break the secuirty seals and take delivery of a brand new ps3 [it was SO new it smelt as though as though they had just made it] and hand over my 'old' ps3.
    I had all my saves and data on a usb thumb drive so that took but a moment.

    All in all a FANTASTIC customer service, and this is from someone who recently had knocked sony's support service.

    Soon as we get some decent games and a proper 'LIVE' online service you'll never hear a bad word about the ps3 from my lips [typing fingers] again.

    tb
  • Wow. This is my first time seeing this thread. It really scares me.

    I had the same issue as you, with my controller, and I can see that you linked to mine. Eventually, my blu-ray movie functionality stopped working entirely, so that was the reason I had to trade my PS3 in.

    This thread scares me because even with my new ps3, newly updated with the newest firmwares, the controller problems happen once a week. The annoying blinking lights start up, or buttons stop working. Its really aggravating, and I assumed it was a problem with the controller itself, and not the system. How am I supposed to know anyway?

    Its good to hear that Sony straightened it out, and didn't make you wait for your system to be repaired, but I can't help but think that that is a rare occurence. It may not be, but I know that I am a pretty unlucky person when it comes to electronics (Never buy anything with the HP brand name, believe me on that people), so I expect to get screwed by every electronics company when it comes to their products.

    Keep us updated on how it works out for you, don't be a stranger. I certainly would have been scared to do the firmware update if I was in your situation :eek:.
  • MCWhammer

    Don't worry m8, you know if you have a blown bluetooth chip, your controller will stop working for good, not occasionally.
    The weekly thing you get is probably jsut the controller rescanning itself when it loses 'lock', thats normal.

    If you are worried reset your ps3 and see what happens.

    good luck

    tb
  • twobells said:
    MCWhammer

    Don't worry m8, you know if you have a blown bluetooth chip, your controller will stop working for good, not occasionally.
    The weekly thing you get is probably jsut the controller rescanning itself when it loses 'lock', thats normal.


    Good to hear that I haven't blown my chip (Yeah, yeah, tee hee.).

    So, is your new system running up to snuff? I hope it is...
  • i got the same problem with the 2.17 update

    all you have to do is reset it and it now works fine :D:D:D
  • I just updated to the 2.2 update and had the same issue. Resetting the PS3 seemed to solve the issue.