• So, I've been trying to watch a Blu-Ray movie I rented, "Night at the Museum". Every time I get about 20-30 seconds into the movie, the movie stops playback and just sits there. I can turn the PS3 off when this happens, but the movie will not play, even if I hit the fast forward button.

I thought maybe the disc was defective, so I went and grabbed my copy of "Saw III". I put it in, and sure enough, 20 seconds in, the movie stopped. :(

I have one last resort here, I think, and that is to wait an hour to see if maybe my PS3 was overheated. I will try to watch a Blu-Ray one more time and see what happens.

I do NOT want to already have to trade in my PS3 :mad: for another one.
  • I can't see it being an overheating problem- the fan inside the PS3 is quite big and should be able to handle things with no problem.

You may be better off to contact Sony and see what they say- if you do have to send it in at least you are covered under the one year warranty so it won't cost anything.
  • Yeah, you're right. It wasn't overheated. I went back an hour later and tried to play the blu-ray again. It played for 32 seconds and then stopped.

When I originally bought my Ps3, I bought the in-store warranty for it, because I thought it would be easier to just go to the store and trade it in for a new system if it ever had a problem.

I did that today, so now I've got a new Ps3 here looking at me. I'm mad at his brother, so I might not even plug him in today. Take that you jerk :frown:.

Any ideas why my blu-ray functionality stopped working? I'd only had the ps3 since January. Could a firmware update have screwed it up? Or is folding with my PS3 hurting my PS3? The system gets mighty hot when it has been folding for a while. I have it in a location I feel is pretty aired out. It's sitting on top of my DVD player that barely gets used, so I don't know that I did anything wrong.

If something like this happens again, I will be very sad. It's hard to stand behind a system like the Playstation, when things keep going wrong.

Next question:

Do I try and sign into the Playstation Network on my new system with my old name? I'm guessing it won't let me...

Or do I immediately sign up with a new name and lose the one game I bought off the network (Gripshift)?

Decisions, decisions. Well, if anyone's got any thoughts on the matter, I'd love to hear them.
  • You'll have no problems with using your current PS3 account- just set up your user and when you go to the "sign up for the PlayStation network" icon tell it to use a current account and put your login details. Then you can re-download any purchases you made through your download list.

Again, I can't see the folding being the culprit. If something like that was damaging to the PS3 we would be seeing many more cases. Most likely you maybe got a system with a bad laser diode. One in a million shot.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You'll have no problems with using your current PS3 account- just set up your user and when you go to the "sign up for the PlayStation network" icon tell it to use a current account and put your login details. Then you can re-download any purchases you made through your download list.

Well that's great to hear. It wasn't a big loss to be losing "Gripshift", but it's good to know that I'm not losing everything.

Most likely you maybe got a system with a bad laser diode. One in a million shot.

I really am one in a million? Aw shucks, you shouldn't have :w00t2:. I hope you're right. I still haven't plugged the new one in yet. Too scared. I don't even wanna breath on the thing.
  • i know im very late but i thought you could'nt whatch blu-ray movies unless you had a tv that supported 1080p.

MC does your tv support 1080p
  • My tv only supports 1080i and I can watch blu-ray movies.
  • You're mistaken there, grim. Blu-Ray movies will play in either 1080i or 1080p. They will NOT play in 720p on the PS3 however, so if you don't have a tv that supports either 1080 resolution you will have the movies in 480p (something I hope they fix in a future update).