Fav. PS3 Demos
  • [CENTER]image

[/CENTER]
    What has been your favorite PS3 Free Demo game so far?

I think the demos are the best part of the Playstation store on the PS3. I miss the Official Playstation Mag., but I find that I am more inclined to download a game than put a disc into the drive of the Playstation. Maybe that makes me lazy, but I think digital distribution is just great.

I downloaded "Ninja Gaiden Sigma" today, and I must say, it is awesome. I love how easy it is to perform moves and such. Why couldn't the last 5 Mortal Kombats have been as good as this demo game?

So that is my favorite one so far. I thought "Def Jam: Icon" was fun for the three minutes of the demo, but I'd never buy the full game. The graphics look great, but I could tell it would get very repetitive.

What about you?
  • Man I really wish i had a ps3. I don't think I'll be able to afford one until christmas though. I've got my bodybuilding show at the end of the summer so I'll have to start saving for the ps3 after that.
  • America has got such a lot more than the uk and Europe, there is no def jam demo for example, not as many PS full games.. the only demos ive downloaded are ridge racer 7, gt hd concept and genji:dotb, there is not much else to offer, ive only brought 1 full game aswell :(.
    I really hope more content comes to our PS store at least it got some maintenance yesterday, so hopefully some new content is coming !!!!!!
    Other than that ridge racer 7 is my favourite demo so far.....
  • My favorites so far have been the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo along with the demo of Minna No Golf 5 (otherwise known as Hot Shots Golf 5 in North America) that I grabbed from the Japanese store awhile back. The controls are pretty much the same as previous games so not knowing Japanese was irrelevant.
  • I also recently download the Virtua Tennis 3 demo. I liked it a lot, even though the demo only let you play 2 different matches (Male vs. Male or Female vs. Female). I hope Sony knows that the more demos they release for free, the more games they will sell. It seems like a simple equation to me.

Having a demo right there on my ps3's drive is amazing, and it certainly led to me buying Virtua Tennis 3 today (Got rid of Spidey 3, thank God, as well as Fight Night Round 3. Total trade in value: A whopping $66.00 :D, that's pretty good I guess).

- Hey Lyndon, don't spoil anything for me, but when you get to the "Boss" in the Ninja Gaiden demo... if you beat him, is there any more game left after that or does a "BUY THE REAL GAME" screen pop-up? I was just wondering...
  • Beating the boss does unlock a bit extra, letting you play a mission as Rachel, the rather curvy blonde with the extra large hammer.

i had a quick play or two of the Virtua Tennis demo- looks pretty good. maybe would have picked that up after seeing Spidey 3 but the one game store that was open was all out at the time. Just not entirely sure i want to get it as it has no online play.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Beating the boss does unlock a bit extra, letting you play a mission as Rachel, the rather curvy blonde with the extra large hammer.

i had a quick play or two of the Virtua Tennis demo- looks pretty good. maybe would have picked that up after seeing Spidey 3 but the one game store that was open was all out at the time. Just not entirely sure i want to get it as it has no online play.

Cool! Now I have a reason to beat the boss :) I'm looking forward to Ninja Gaiden when it does come out.

Yeah, I've played several matches of Virtua Tennis in the Tournament mode. I like it so far, you create your own player and "Fight to the top". I see that there are some neato minigames you can play separately, so I like that too. There isn't much else out for PS3 right now so, I like what I picked.
  • I heard a news story earlier this month that said the developer of Ninja Gaiden is actually rewarding those who play the game demo (Which is downloadable from the PS Store). I did not understand at the time exactly how they were going to reward us, so I looked into it more. This is what I found on Playstation.com:

As further proof of their infinite rockingness, Team Ninja and Tecmo have announced a way to extend the life of the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo that's now available for download via the PlayStation Store.

The final version of the game will be able to detect how much of the demo you've played, and will reward you with an appropriate amount of Yellow Essence. This in-game form of currency can be used to purchase items and power-up your weapons, possibly making your first play-through of the full game a bit easier.

Given the difficulty level we've come to expect from a Team Ninja title, this sounds like a good deal. Those who want to get a head start on their fellow players prior to Sigma's release in a few weeks should start by downloading the free demo.

Sounds like I need to go play the demo some more ;). I'll be picking up the real game when it does comes out (Seems to be July).
  • On second thought, I'm chickening out. I'm gonna try to back out of my Ninja Gaiden pre-order to pick up "The Darkness" instead. After replaying the demo last night, I realized I couldn't beat the boss in that level. Apparently he can block anything you attempt to do to him, but if you try and block his shots, he can grab you by the neck and kill you over and over. That doesn't make for a very fun experience. :rolleyes:

I'm usually better at shooting games anyway.
  • One thing the Ninja Gaiden series hasn't ever skimped on was the difficulty. I'll likely be giving this a rental at first myself instead of buying.

I wish they would start getting some other third-party demos on there. I'd like to maybe try the TransFormers game before possibly buying it.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    ...I wish they would start getting some other third-party demos on there. I'd like to maybe try the TransFormers game before possibly buying it.

the transformers movie will be fantastic, but not sure bout the game, i'll definitely have to try the demo like you said Lyn.
    Another one i'd personally like to try is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, looking like a fantastic game from what i've seen so far; best one to date by far.
    Another one would be the new FIFA 08, oh and Smackdown vs Raw 2008, and the major one of course being GTAIV.
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Another one i'd personally like to try is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, looking like a fantastic game from what i've seen so far; best one to date by far.
    Another one would be the new FIFA 08, oh and Smackdown vs Raw 2008, and the major one of course being GTAIV.

At least you guys agree with me about the store needing more Demos. I just don't get it. To me, More Demos=More Money for Sony. Simple equation. If I like the demo, I buy the game. They took away the Official Playstation Mag (In the U.S. only I think), and I thought that would mean that ALL demos go straight to the store, since we lost the monthly demo disc with the magazine. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

And Jason, I agree with all of your possible demo suggestions. Especially GTA. I know, we're crazy. :huh:
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    At least you guys agree with me about the store needing more Demos. I just don't get it. To me, More Demos=More Money for Sony. Simple equation. If I like the demo, I buy the game. They took away the Official Playstation Mag (In the U.S. only I think), and I thought that would mean that ALL demos go straight to the store, since we lost the monthly demo disc with the magazine. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

And Jason, I agree with all of your possible demo suggestions. Especially GTA. I know, we're crazy. :huh:

first off, i guess demos do lead to money for games being sold. depends though, it's alright providing demos of games, but the demos themselves have to be worth playing so they make you want to purchase the full version of the game; and also rewarding you for playing the demo is a good thing as well, in the sense of er Ninja Gaiden was it? I forget which game you mentioned.

As for the Official Playstation Magazine, we've still got it just renamed, plus we have Blu-Ray demo disks with it so there :p lol :laugh:
    makes a change us having something you lot don't have doesn't it?

Personally, the biggest thing i think they need to sort out is this whole region servers thing. How can a global company like Sony cut us all up into regions? Look at proper MMORPGs how they are truly worldwide, why not the PS3 and it's online capable games?
    I wanna stuff an American at FIFA 08, destroy an Australian at Smackdown Vs Raw 2008 etc etc. Now THAT'S what truly needs sorting out in my opinion.
    Am I right or am I right?

I can see Lyn's words on screen already "the reason why we have regional servers is to keep track of games players better, to limit the strain on the servers etc etc." (No offence there Lyn).
    I understand all that, and I agree with the regional servers for connecting and downloading stuff but we should still be able to truly play anyone and everyone around the world.

Now please forgive me if I've somehow got my facts wrong and we can play people from other regions online (I haven't tried online gaming yet, so I'm just presuming with all this).

Jay
  • No Jay we cant play worldwide yet. They are doing it on Resistance soon, but i dont think its possible on any other game. It sucks i agree.

As for the Playstation-Official magazine UK, we finally got a free Blu-Ray demo disc with issue 7. The demos contained were Resistance, Virtua tennis, F1 Championship edition and Genji DOTB.
    All of which had been available in the PS Store as a download a month or so earlier ? :confused:

I was a bit dissappointed. :(
    I thought we'd be getting something new and exclusive ! :(
    So at the moment MCW, you guys from the US aren't missing out on much.

I also agree that more demos = more money for Sony. I played the Virtua tennis, the Motorstorm and the Ridge racer demo as soon as i could and brought the games soon after.
    They need to be mainly drafting in a demo for the Darkness and Transformers etc, all near release games. That would work for everyone especially me as i'm torn between the 2 at the moment.
    As for Ninja Gaiden Sigma, i havent played the demo yet, but will do soon sounds like a fantastic game. Even though im an FPS kind of guy myself.

The PS Store really needs to be used to its full potential by Sony more.
    Even though Calling all cars, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout and some other downloadable games, have been added to the store today. (i'm not sure if this is UK only or not) ?
    Which is a welcome update.
    But we need more demos !!!! And a Global server !!!
  • robcoxy said:
    No Jay we cant play worldwide yet. They are doing it on Resistance soon, but i dont think its possible on any other game. It sucks i agree.

As for the Playstation-Official magazine UK, we finally got a free Blu-Ray demo disc with issue 7. The demos contained were Resistance, Virtua tennis, F1 Championship edition and Genji DOTB.
    All of which had been available in the PS Store as a download a month or so earlier ? :confused:

I was a bit dissappointed. :(
    I thought we'd be getting something new and exclusive ! :(
    So at the moment MCW, you guys from the US aren't missing out on much.

I also agree that more demos = more money for Sony. I played the Virtua tennis, the Motorstorm and the Ridge racer demo as soon as i could and brought the games soon after.
    They need to be mainly drafting in a demo for the Darkness and Transformers etc, all near release games. That would work for everyone especially me as i'm torn between the 2 at the moment.
    As for Ninja Gaiden Sigma, i havent played the demo yet, but will do soon sounds like a fantastic game. Even though im an FPS kind of guy myself.

The PS Store really needs to be used to its full potential by Sony more.
    Even though Calling all cars, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout and some other downloadable games, have been added to the store today. (i'm not sure if this is UK only or not) ?
    Which is a welcome update.
    But we need more demos !!!! And a Global server !!!

Hang on a sec there Rob.
    I agree with everything you said up until the Global Server bit.

As I mentioned before, I don't think we should have one Global Server as the sheer millions (yes literally millions) of PS3s connecting to one server (which would happen eventually) would be just far too much to handle.

What we need is the seperate regional servers for downloading Firmware Updates, new demos, new games etc... but we need one centralised "HUB" that connects all the regional servers together when gaming online so we can wup the a$$es of our American/Australian/Canadian etc friends ;)

When Sony finally get that sorted then we will ALL be happy, correct?
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Hang on a sec there Rob.
    I agree with everything you said up until the Global Server bit.

As I mentioned before, I don't think we should have one Global Server as the sheer millions (yes literally millions) of PS3s connecting to one server (which would happen eventually) would be just far too much to handle.

What we need is the seperate regional servers for downloading Firmware Updates, new demos, new games etc... but we need one centralised "HUB" that connects all the regional servers together when gaming online so we can wup the a$$es of our American/Australian/Canadian etc friends ;)

When Sony finally get that sorted then we will ALL be happy, correct?

Correct !!!!

I did mean it like that i just couldn't explain it like that Lol... Writers Block. ;)

Yeah I agree with that Jay. That would make me happy. Very happy..:D

Do you think theres a chance of this happening ????
  • robcoxy said:
    Correct !!!!

I did mean it like that i just couldn't explain it like that Lol... Writers Block. ;)

Yeah I agree with that Jay. That would make me happy. Very happy..:D

Do you think theres a chance of this happening ????

Well Sony have boasted about how we're going to be able to play eachother wherever we are in the world and whatnot, so I would have to give a very resounding YES!
    It'll take a while as Sony figure out how best to get the worldwide competition off the ground, probably by trialling it with one or two games at first, but they'll figure it out sooner rather than later.
    It's a learning process afterall.

Now I understand that Microsofts XBOX Live has that capability already (well I think it does anyway), but that's been going for a couple of years now. They had problems at the start as well, but they learned and now (as much as I hate to admit it) they have a very good online games service.

Sony didn't really try implementing that with the PS2, but now it's more of a factor with the PS3, so they've got to try and catch up.

Trust me when I say this Rob, Sony, being Sony, may be behind for the time being but they always come good in the end ;)
  • How did this get from demos to comparing the online gameplay?? :rolleyes:

Ridge Racer 7 has global online play- unfortunately the only chatting is using preformed phrases chosen from a list. :frown: Anyhoo, hopefully they will soon fix this oversight (one of many) and make global online play standard over the games.

Now, back to the demos! :p
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    How did this get from demos to comparing the online gameplay??:rolleyes:...

Hey Lyn, if you try hard enough you can get from Volcanos to Dr. Pepper via frogs and/or toads, lol :laugh:
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Well Sony have boasted about how we're going to be able to play eachother wherever we are in the world and whatnot, so I would have to give a very resounding YES!
    It'll take a while as Sony figure out how best to get the worldwide competition off the ground, probably by trialling it with one or two games at first, but they'll figure it out sooner rather than later.
    It's a learning process afterall.

Now I understand that Microsofts XBOX Live has that capability already (well I think it does anyway), but that's been going for a couple of years now. They had problems at the start as well, but they learned and now (as much as I hate to admit it) they have a very good online games service.

Sony didn't really try implementing that with the PS2, but now it's more of a factor with the PS3, so they've got to try and catch up.

Trust me when I say this Rob, Sony, being Sony, may be behind for the time being but they always come good in the end ;)

To further back up what I said, I thought I'd add this little statement that Dave Karraker Sr. Director, Corporate Communications mentioned on Playstation.Blog:

"3) If your game has heavy online use:
    XBL provides more and better standard libraries for online gaming to developers. For the same features on PS3, developers have to do some extra work. We
  • [QUOTE=Jason F Staff;43769]To further back up what I said, I thought I'd add this little statement that Dave Karraker Sr. Director, Corporate Communications mentioned on Playstation.Blog:

"3) If your game has heavy online use:
    XBL provides more and better standard libraries for online gaming to developers. For the same features on PS3, developers have to do some extra work. We