PS3 Internet Connection
  • I just purchased a PS3 and I am having trouble gettin online. I have tried everything under the sun and nothing works.

I have the 60G system and cable/DSL modem. When I use my PS3 to automatically connect, it cant even find the IP address. If I enter the IP manually, it will easily locate the IP address but then I get an error 80710102 'unable to connect to server'.

I manually entered as much as possible, but nothing works.

I called Sony tech support but they didnt help. They mentioned unplugging the modem for a few minutes. Not a lot of help when the modem has a battery back up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am about 2 steps away from taking this system back to the store.
    Thanks
  • Are you connecting directly to the modem or do you have a router in place?

I would suggest using a router to share the connection between the pc and the PS3. Once connected you could set things up on the router to get the PS3 online through DHCP.
  • I dont have a router, I only have a modem. My PS3 version is 1.50 (which I forgot to mention earlier).
    Also, I have a Mac Mini computer, I am not sure if that would make a difference.
    Please help
    Thanks !!!!
  • Also, Do I "need" a router for the PS3 to connect to the internet ???
  • No,it isn't exactly "needed" but it does make things simpler as you wouldn't have to mess with switching a cable around and resetting your modem every time you want to switch between the computer and the PS3. It will handle all the gibberish regarding IP addresses, ports, etc. with a few simple setting tweaks. Regular wired routers can be had very cheap these days as well.