The Importance of Online Play.
  • How important is online play to you?

A lot of games have online play today, some games have questionable reasons for why they even bothered to put it in the game, but its in there all the same.

Do you always check to see if a game has online play before buying it? Or does that matter to you at all?

Before I got High speed internet, I obviously couldn't care less, because when you're on dial-up it's kind of a downer. But when you finally do get internet service that actually works, it's nice to be able to have a second part to all of your games that you couldn't play before.

I'd say that online play is important to have in ALL sports games, ALL racing type games, and basically any game that needs MORE replayability beyond its standard single player mode.

But I hate when the online play feels 'Tacked on' and does nothing to support the overall game. I'm glad that with the PS3, game companies are finally taking the opportunity to patch their games and add maps to them... although they need to hurry it up a bit. You shouldn't wait Six Months or more (ahem... Resistance), to add a couple of maps to your multiplayer mode. Much less charge for them.
  • Id say its pretty important, online play adds an extra edge to a game, and increases its replayability dramatically!!!!!!!!!

Even though single player is the most important part of a game, if online has been designed exceptionally well on a game, online is the reason people will get the game...

I suppose a game could be called last-gen if it didnt have online multiplayer, and thats what a lot of game developers are thinking, so they put a lot (maybe too much), time into the online aspect, therefore ignoring the games single player..... this is not the way i think it should be done.....
    But I hate when the online play feels 'Tacked on' and does nothing to support the overall game. I'm glad that with the PS3, game companies are finally taking the opportunity to patch their games and add maps to them... although they need to hurry it up a bit. You shouldn't wait Six Months or more (ahem... Resistance), to add a couple of maps to your multiplayer mode. Much less charge for them.

Yeah mcw i no what you mean, it seems a waste.. its obviously the money game companies are looking for with the add-ons (on the PS3), so yeah you would think they would hurry it up a bit, but there you go........

A game with a good online is my idea of an awesome game, its just so easy to mess up and when it does, the potentially great game is ruined, but when its pulled off it makes the game a step ahead. Online is really important to me.....
  • Since I do not have the greatest internet connection, online gaming is not really feasible.

I do not care necessarily one way or the other if the game has online gaming features or not. It's cool if it does, but it is not the MAIN reason why I buy a game.
  • robcoxy said:
    ... if online has been designed exceptionally well on a game, online is the reason people will get the game...

True. This will become very evident if multiplayer is "done right" in Warhawk, since it is multiplayer online only. If people buy it, then that pretty much will say it best.

Melinda S STAFF said:
    Since I do not have the greatest internet connection, online gaming is not really feasible.

I do not care necessarily one way or the other if the game has online gaming features or not. It's cool if it does, but it is not the MAIN reason why I buy a game.

Like I said, I used to feel the same way. I never really had a fully online console until the PS3. I was able to get online and race a couple of laps in NASCAR games on my PS2, but with a lousy dial-up connection :redface:.

I must say, the PS3 is doing pretty good so far with online play, and it is definitely worth the cost of cable internet. It provides a lot of entertainment. Granted, sometimes you have to deal with jerks online, but they will not deter my fun enough to quit playing. I agree with you though, that it is not yet the main reason why I would buy a game. But then again, that could easily change.
  • Great question !

For me, I can race on the same track all day in a racing game when competing against other people, simply because every single race is different.

Even just adding online leader-boards gives you an instant idea of how good you REALLY are, and makes me eager to keep on racing each track until I have a 'respectable' ranking.

Better still is the whole 'community' aspect of online gaming. You get to meet people with the same interests (or should that be obsessions).

Sure, there are always going to be people who annoy you online, but the same is true in life... except that you can switch them off when playing on the Internet. :-)

The main down-side of gaming online is only now starting to be taken seriously... skill miss-matching.

There is nothing more annoying to me than buying a game a few weeks (or months) after is has been released, only to play online and get completely dominated by expert players.

I think that all online games should have some form of player ranking system that will always try to match you up with other gamers of a similar ability, in fact I think that Sony should make it a core requirement for any future online game on the PS3.

Offline gaming usually includes difficulty settings for this very reason.
  • I think online play is very important. Online play brings a whole new aspect to the game. The ability to play with friends who may or may not live near you is amazing.

I do agree that player ranking systems are needed though. It is important to keep the advanced players away from people who are learning how to play. It won't be fun for either side. The advanced player won't get the competition he would want and the new player would get destroyed and probably not learn anything from the game.
  • True. This will become very evident if multiplayer is "done right" in Warhawk, since it is multiplayer online only. If people buy it, then that pretty much will say it best.

Yeah its definetly gunna show Sony and gamers how important online play really is to games.....

Even just adding online leader-boards gives you an instant idea of how good you REALLY are, and makes me eager to keep on racing each track until I have a 'respectable' ranking.

Better still is the whole 'community' aspect of online gaming. You get to meet people with the same interests (or should that be obsessions).

Sure, there are always going to be people who annoy you online, but the same is true in life... except that you can switch them off when playing on the Internet. :-)

The main down-side of gaming online is only now starting to be taken seriously... skill miss-matching.

There is nothing more annoying to me than buying a game a few weeks (or months) after is has been released, only to play online and get completely dominated by expert players.

I love online leaderboards, it kind of lures you in to gaming online more as you want to become 1 of the best.
    And yeah with online gaming an instant gaming community is born!! Being able to chat and play with people with the same 'addiction' :), as you is really one of the best aspects of gaming..

A ranking system, is also i would say obvious to an online game, too bad some games dont include this, or do include it but it is pretty lousy (Resistance..comes to mind).

I think some games wouldnt be great without online, ( oh resistance crops up yet again), but some games really dont need it, and the sooner developers realise this and get it right, the better....
  • how do i link my ps2 to the net if i can?
  • how do i link my ps2 to the net if i can?

You have to have an Internet connection thats broadband, but NOT wireless. It needs to be a wired connection. Then all you do is sort out an ethernet connection, buy a PS2 network adaptor which will set you back around £35.00 in the U.K, then you just plug the Adaptor in the back of the PS2 and wire it up. :) Easy. Or not. :(

Im sure Mike's link will describe it in more detail. ;)
  • Actually you may be able to wirelessly connect the PS2 these days, im not quite sure, you should look it up on the net i think. :)
    You should try a wired connection as your 1st choice if you can though...
  • aaaarg our broadband is wireless :mad: oh well i ges i can hav PSP net or PS2 net but not both. as is life:) :)
  • Do you have a Slimline PS2 or the older model like me ??? :confused:

If you have the slimline model you will NOT need an adaptor just an ethernet cable, if you have the older model you WILL need an adaptor and an ethernet cable. You will have to buy a router for your computer to connect to your PS2 using an ethernet cable, unless you already have one.

Look at the link Mike C gave you it explains how to do it in detail, you should take a look. ;) :)
  • i got a slim ps2 whats a ethernet cable
  • can i buy ethernet cables that are about 20 meters long. and umm 20 meters is like ummmm 23 yards i dono
  • Have a look at the back of your computer- that cable going from the modem to your ethernet card in the PC is the ethernet cable.

The cable lengths is usually measured in feet but you should have no trouble getting the amount you want- most stores carry it in lengths up to 50 feet. If you go to a local computer repair store you may be able to oder a custom length. i would also suggest getting a router, if you don't have one yet. This will share the connection and let your PC stay online when you play online with the PS2.
  • we got a wirless router
  • Ahh now i have a wireless hub ! What i've done is brought these adaptors that you plug into the back of the hub/router with an ethernet cable, and then the adaptor goes to a plug on the wall. You then use the other adaptor, (you have to buy 2), and plug it into the wall of the room where your PS2 is, then you use another ethernet cable with that adaptor and plug it into your PS2. Is that clear enough, do you understand ? :confused: it is complicated.

Here is a link which shows you the adaptor im using :

MicroLink dLAN Audio

If they dont deliver to your country, just type in microlink dlan adaptor or something similar into google, and more products should come up.
    If you are going to buy this or any of these adaptors you will need to buy 2, one for your wireless router and one for you're PS2.
    You will also need to buy 2 ethernet cables one for each adaptor. This may become a bit expensive so you may need to save up a bit if you want to go for this option.

I will explain how to install them once again.
    Once you get the adaptors, plug 1 into a socket in the wall, (it HAS to be in the wall, NOT in an extension cable/sockets), near your wireless router and connect an ethernet cable from your adaptor to the back of the router. Then you will need to plug the second adaptor into a wall near your PS2, and then connect an ethernet cable from the adaptor to the back of the PS2.
    Then all you will need to do is set up the connection on your PS2, which is fairly easy, and there you go you're online.

Hopefully this helps. :)
  • :( only 2 types of wall plug in aus the TV cable and the power plug no ethernet plug :(. mmmmmmm DON'T BUY ENYTHING FROM EBAY UNLESS IT HAS A MANUAL
  • martin jd said:
    :( only 2 types of wall plug in aus the TV cable and the power plug no ethernet plug . mmmmmmm DON'T BUY ENYTHING FROM EBAY UNLESS IT HAS A MANUAL

No i didnt say ethernet plug. You put the adaptors in a normal wall plug.:)
    Then you put an ethernet cable into the adaptor, (there is a little slot in the adaptor). And then you use that ethernet cable already in the adaptor and put it into the back of your PS2.
    Then you do the same with the second adaptor but link it up to your wireless router instead.
    Just follow the walkthrough in my earlier post. :D

REMEMBER ! the adaptors go in a wall socket.
    The ethernet is a cable, NOT a socket...

Do you understand now... ;)
  • Martin, the ethernet cable would go straight from the router to your PS2- no going through the walls at all unless you have some networking done throughout the house.

Considering you have a wireless router one other option for you is the Linksys wireless gaming adapter. This would plug into the ethernet port on the back of your PS2 (after a quick bit of set up) and should connect your system wirelessly to the internet.
  • cool how much is it
  • not thats not what i ment i know what u mant by ethnet cable i ment there is no plug in the wall for a ethnet cable unless you ment the power plug
  • martin jd said:
    not thats not what i ment i know what u mant by ethnet cable i ment there is no plug in the wall for a ethnet cable unless you ment the power plug

The ethernet cable would go into the adaptor, the adaptor goes into the wall plug. :rolleyes:

There isnt no wires through the wall, all you have to do, if your going to do it, is follow my earlier walkthrough. The broadband will flow through your electricity independently and you will have an internet connection, to your PS2, and your computer. Its just a little expensive thats all.... :rolleyes:
    Do you get it. :confused:
  • What Rob means is this:

Find out more information about this product by clicking on the image above or click here.

Hope that makes sense to you now,
    Jay
  • ok i get it:)

how much is it about in aussi dollers or pounds i can convert it if its in pounds
  • Well you could've just clicked on the picture or the link but here's a copy of the pricing anyway:

Homeplug Duo - Twin Pack -
  • Thanks Jay,
    You explained it so much simpler and better than i did Lol. Thanks :D:D

Martin all you will need to buy is the homeplug duo twin pack costing £70.00 (british pounds), so just convert that into Aussie dollars and there you go.

Good luck. :) :D
  • robcoxy said:
    Thanks Jay,
    You explained it so much simpler and better than i did Lol. Thanks :D :D...

Guess the age old saying is right..."Pictures DO speak a thousand words" :laugh:
    Also helps when you get an email from the likes of PC World advertising the exact same thing that you were on about :p lol
  • ummmm $175

can i just get a long cable plug it in the ps2 and router?
  • Yup! But you're limited by the length of the cable, where the router (and phoneline) are...plus you've got one heck of a problem possibly tripping over the wire and breaking your neck...:eek:
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Guess the age old saying is right..."Pictures DO speak a thousand words" Also helps when you get an email from the likes of PC World advertising the exact same thing that you were on about lol

Lol. :laugh: :laugh:
    That was pretty lucky wasn't it. :)

ummmm $175

can i just get a long cable plug it in the ps2 and router?

Yeah $175 is too expensive, but thats the way i did it and its normally very reliable and fast.
    You get what you pay for mate.. ;)