• :redface: :( :(
    Hey,
    My PS3 keeps freezing about every 30 mins im on it. It will freeze in the middle of a game, or on the xmb, just about anywhere, when it freezes the screen sometimes goes a different colour and judders about violently.
    Ive had this problem for quite a while, first i thought it was my game but it isnt, then i thought it was my folding, could i have recieved a bug or virus from folding, or can it affect the system in any way?
    Has anyone had that problem, and can you fix it, if its folding can i delete it, and the hardrive be left un affected, or is it something else??
    Also can i transfer the contents of my hardrive onto an external hardrive with nothing going corrupt? And will i still have all my online accounts and stuff???
    Please if you have any advice i would be very grateful.:)
  • You can't get a virus with the folding, Rob- Stanford University is very careful with their program.

More likely you are running into an overheating problem due to where your system is located,dust getting inside or maybe a defective fan (the most likely culprit). I would contact Sony tech support if i were you.

Finally, your account will still be there if you do have to exchange it for another system. You can make a backup of the data on the drive by going into the Backup Utility in System Settings. Settings and user info won't be saved (write this stuff down for possible re-entry in the future) and some data may got get restored if put on another PS3. More details can be had in the online manual for the PS3.
  • As Lyndon said, try standing it tall if you have it lying flat at the moment. If its inside of a cabinet, take it out and put it somewhere that won't build up so much heat (the PS3 generates a huge amount of heat).
  • You can't get a virus with the folding, Rob- Stanford University is very careful with their program.

More likely you are running into an overheating problem due to where your system is located,dust getting inside or maybe a defective fan (the most likely culprit). I would contact Sony tech support if i were you.

Finally, your account will still be there if you do have to exchange it for another system. You can make a backup of the data on the drive by going into the Backup Utility in System Settings. Settings and user info won't be saved (write this stuff down for possible re-entry in the future) and some data may got get restored if put on another PS3. More details can be had in the online manual for the PS3.

As Lyndon said, try standing it tall if you have it lying flat at the moment. If its inside of a cabinet, take it out and put it somewhere that won't build up so much heat (the PS3 generates a huge amount of heat).

Ah good i wont have to delete folding@home :)

So is this how i do it i get an external harddrive put it in the usb slot, then i go into backup utility and backup all the files that can be backed up, (the PS3 will do that automatically right). And that will hopefully backup my online account, my game saves, and hopefully my online stats for Resistance and so on, (says the online manual).O yeah and will my folding data all still be there, ready to go again??? And Will i still have the firmware versions ive downloaded onto the system??
    But ill just have to create a user again which is fine...

And, yeah i think it may be a overheating or dust problem, its not in a cabinet or anything, but it does seem to attract a massive amount of dust i dont no why.. Will standing it tall solve that problem, i suppose it wont heat up as fast... It would be better if it was a defective fan so theres no problem in the future with the new PS3 and where its situated. Can you know if it is or will sony tech support tell me...

Anyway thanks for the advice :), my new PS3 is coming in around 2-4 days so hopefully i will get all the data i need off my system, and then take it from there.... Sorry to be such a dumb tw*t, and have to bother you lot with all this..

• Once you have your replacement system hooked up you can use your same log in details- it's more putting the same details on a second machine than making a new user. Again, you'll have to set up your online connection settings. Also, your replacement system will have to be updated to 1.8. While I can't say for sure you may have to redownload any games you may have bought in the PlayStation Store (just go to the download list to get them again at no charge).
  • Once you have your replacement system hooked up you can use your same log in details- it's more putting the same details on a second machine than making a new user. Again, you'll have to set up your online connection settings. Also, your replacement system will have to be updated to 1.8. While I can't say for sure you may have to redownload any games you may have bought in the PlayStation Store (just go to the download list to get them again at no charge).

O yeah of course, silly me, thats not a problem about the PS store ive only bought gripshift, LOL.. And yeah no hassle to put in any connection settings again..

So the backup utility will be for gamesaves and hopefully ma folding data/stats......

And can i know if its a defective fan or not, or will sony tech tell me if i ring em.... Hopefully thats the case as it will be a bit of hassle to resituate the console, even though it attracts a massive amount of dust...
  • Your folding stats are safe with Stanford- you won't lose them. Same with your Resistance stats- Insomniac's servers will have them safe for you. If you have a USB hard drive or even a thumb drive with enough capacity you could do the backup now, before the new system gets there.

They likely won't be able to say- your case will be considered closed with the sending of the replacement unit. They'll fix up whatever is wrong with it, format the drive and use it as a replacement for someone else, i would think.
  • Your folding stats are safe with Stanford- you won't lose them. Same with your Resistance stats- Insomniac's servers will have them safe for you. If you have a USB hard drive or even a thumb drive with enough capacity you could do the backup now, before the new system gets there.

They likely won't be able to say- your case will be considered closed with the sending of the replacement unit. They'll fix up whatever is wrong with it, format the drive and use it as a replacement for someone else, i would think.

Good, so ill still be able to fold under the same username that i was folding under till my old PS3 broke. And thats also helpful i havent got enough time to clock up another 10,000 kills again LOL... Ive already done the back-up just waiting for the new PS3 to come, and ill be up and running again...

Ok thats fine. Thanks lyn.