Datel Communicator Headset
  • I recently bought the Datel Communicator Headset to talk to other players while playing online. I did what the directions told me to do on how to set up the headset (Accessory Settings.....) and changed the input. When i started playing Resistance:FOM and entered either a Team Deathmatch or Free-For-All lobby, I seldom hear 2 or 3 people talking, but when i talk nobody answers. Also, As soon as it leaves the lobby and the game starts I cant hear anyone talking. Id appreciate help on how to fix this problem.

P.S. Is the Datel Headset even worth it?
  • Most of what i have read about the Datel headset says it is not worth it.You would be better off spending a few more bucks and getting an inexpensive bluetooth headset from Motorola or Plantronics. I would return that datel thing (tell them it didn't work) as soon as possible.
  • Where would you suggest purchasing a BlueTooth or should i wait until they come out with a headset liscensed by Sony?
  • Just head to any consumer electronics store such as Best Buy or Circuit City- the prices will be pretty much the same, give or take a buck. I use the Plantronics Voyager 510 myself, had no problems with it as of yet.

Sony has said some time ago they don't plan to put out their own PS3-specific headset as they feel others can do it better and cheaper.
  • So pretty much any BlueTooth headset will work?
    And how would you set it up?
    What games do you usually play online and are there always people talking throughout the game?
    I know I've been kind of a pest asking all these questions, but could you just go throught the specifics on how to set it up and the how and when to use it.

Thanks so much!
  • elvemage said:
    So pretty much any BlueTooth headset will work?
    And how would you set it up?
    What games do you usually play online and are here always people talking throughout the game?
    I know I've been kind of a pest asking all these questions, but could you just go throught the specifics on how to set it up and the how and when to use it.

Thanks so much!

I've seen lists on which headsets work better for the ps3 than others. Based on the list I saw, I decided to buy a "Motorola - Model H670". Here are two pics: http://www.daydeal.com/files/images5/motorola-h670-cosmic-blue.jpg
    Alternate link

I bought it at Sharper Image because I had a gift card with them I needed to use up. I'm sure it's available in other stores though, you can check amazon.com, bestbuy.com, circuitcity.com, to find the best price.

The little silver switch in the picture turns the device on and off. Below the switch, a light will come on to tell you that it is on, but it will go off to conserve power. This headset comes with an AC-Wall charger, so it is easy to charge up, and holds the charge for I think 8 hours of continuous use.

Games like Resistance: Fall Of Man, let you use it while playing a Team Deathmatch. You can communicate with any else that has one on there (Although it appears that not many people have headsets quite yet for the PS3). Also, you can chat from the Cross-Media Bar with anyone on your friends list, outside of games.

As far as setup with your PS3 goes, for my particular headset, you simply turn on the ps3, go to audio device settings, and once on the right screen, you turn on your bluetooth headset. Wait for the headset to stop blinking with lights, and in audio device settings, it should show up as an available option - like "Motorola H670". Then you simply click on that, and say "OK", and it should be connected successfully with the console. It will show an audio level bar, and when you speak into the mic, you should see the audio bar move around to show that the mic is working just fine.

The setup procedure should be similar for most other headsets. I like my headset so far though, just wish more people had them, because I haven't really been able to chat with anyone in-game yet.

Hope that helps.
  • i cant open up the link for the pic.
  • elvemage said:
    i cant open up the link for the pic.

Added alternate link for you. Both links work for me.