RFOM - Fantastic game or Sacraligious? You decide!
  • Well, you'll never guess what I've just seen on BBC News.

Apparently, there is a Cathedral in the PS3 game Resistance: Fall Of Man, and it is Manchester's Cathedral (Manchester, England that is).

Yes, you read that right, the Cathedral is an exact duplicate of Manchester Cathedral.

The Cathedral Bishop (or whatever his title is) is complaining about the game and wants it banned because of its exact likeness to his Cathedral.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against the church and I'm certainly in favour of stopping people killing people, but so what? If the cathedral is the same then so what.

Cathedrals (and other such buildings) are used in movies, so what's the difference?

I remember the scenes in the Resident Evil 2 movie where there are three lickers and then er Mila Jovovich is it? ends up crashing through the church window.

It's reignited the whole Video games causing real life violence thing again.
    What a load of rubbish. If you're going to hurt, or even kill someone, then you're going to do it; not because you've just played some video game.

Anyways, just thought I'd post this and see what you all think.

Jay
    Site Squad

p.s. I know this post didn't quite make sense, but hopefully you'll get the gist of it
  • So it's an accurate recreation of the cathedral- big deal. It is supposed to be Manchester in that particular level, after all. Some people get too uptight about these things.
  • Yeah, i've heard about this !!!
    People make such a big deal, about such little tiny things.
    Its not like, just because someones played the Manchester level in Resistance that they're now going to go down there and Kill and shoot up everything in site (Including the Chimera), who are obviously based there right now ready to destroy mankind, just because it says so in a video game..

The same principle goes to Videogame and all the hype about violence a load of rubbish for sure !!!!!
  • The level of Resistance where this scene plays out is very small. The only time you really get a taste of how the church really is set up is if you play online. So while you are getting shot in the head thirty times, you can go ahead and try to map out the church in your head for when you plan your rampage. Go right ahead, if that's your thing.

If you don't sense the sarcasm in my writing, then I'm sorry for you. But this trend is getting ridiculous. It doesn't seem like it will end though, with games like Grand Theft Auto IV being set in a mock-up of New York. As gamers, we all know that it is just Liberty City, a fictional place... but these news stations will obviously be on attack the month that Grand Theft comes out.

So, in answer to your thread question, Resistance is a fantastic game. One 10 minute level of it is not enough to constitute going on a relentless massacre in a church. If you are planning to kill a group of people, playing a video game is NOT going to put you over the edge.

Now, does anyone know where Somerset is located? I was planning to go on a massacre there and... :rolleyes:
  • Yeah the single player level, starts actually in the church, where you fight off a horde of little chimera bug things, you don't really have time to look at your surroundings, and when thats over you fight two Auger titan things, and when that's finished your out of the church, your literally in there 5 mins.
    The multiplayer map, is yeah situated in and outside the Cathedral, but yeah, your too busy to notice it because your getting shot at every second, so no one really notices it really.

Arguments like this will go on for ages, A mayor and A bishop have already got involved (have they nothing better to do) :confused:, next it will be presidents, then kings and queens because Pikachu says buckingham palace in a cutscene in Pokemon !!! Lol :laugh:

Every gamer knows the answer to the question and its always exactly the same as MCWs, i just wish the politically correct idiots would go and do something worthwile, than moaning about the unrealistic (in most cases) violence in Video games.. That is more likely to make you laugh than grab a chainsaw and walk to your nearest high street and... well you get the picture..

MCW you should come down to grimsby instead and meet me and a couple of Resistance playing friends, to go play a spot of "bazooka the nearest bystander", with the Laark and a couple of hedgehog grenades. I've heard Somersets all out of bystanders these days.....;) :D
  • I know this is a little off subject but did anyone play RFOM lastnight (Halloween)
    they updated a few things, but for Halloween they had everyone playing as skeletons.. Pretty cool touch.. They made a couple of other changes they made the option to turn off the 40mm and the bullseye, change a few things with the weapons. And a couple other things I'm not sure of. But I just thought it was cool to be a skeleton.. Also you can now wear ratchet and clank stuff..ex.. the boots, ratchets wrench and clank as a backpack..
  • Also you can now wear ratchet and clank stuff..ex.. the boots, ratchets wrench and clank as a backpack..

I noticed that but how do you get them. Please tell me someone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they made the option to turn off the 40mm and the bullseye,

Yeah thats really useful for custom games. :D
  • robcoxy said:
    I noticed that but how do you get them. Please tell me someone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob, myresistance.net recently made the download codes available for the Ratchet-themed stuff. I haven't tried them yet, but will soon. Here are the codes you need:

Ratchet Boots 93a3 027d 21fc 9999
    Ratchet Wrench 6149 ee12 51b6 91e5
    Clank Backpack 9790 3b8c d5fb 454a

On your Soldier loadout screen, do the following to use the codes (I am pretty sure, once you do it once, and save the game, you can change your soldier later, and go back to ratchet stuff whenever you choose. Note, I said pretty sure):

• Bring up the Unlock Code keypad by pressing start on the Loadout screen.
    • Type in your 16 digit code, the 4 blocks of 4 characters can be seperated by spaces or dashes. (You can also use a USB keyboard.)
    Can't wait for the 2 new maps coming soon.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    Rob, myresistance.net recently made the download codes available for the Ratchet-themed stuff. I haven't tried them yet, but will soon. Here are the codes you need:

Ratchet Boots 93a3 027d 21fc 9999
    Ratchet Wrench 6149 ee12 51b6 91e5
    Clank Backpack 9790 3b8c d5fb 454a

On your Soldier loadout screen, do the following to use the codes (I am pretty sure, once you do it once, and save the game, you can change your soldier later, and go back to ratchet stuff whenever you choose. Note, I said pretty sure):

• Bring up the Unlock Code keypad by pressing start on the Loadout screen.
    • Type in your 16 digit code, the 4 blocks of 4 characters can be seperated by spaces or dashes. (You can also use a USB keyboard.)
    Can't wait for the 2 new maps coming soon.

Thanks MCW, i did it on my account there a few weeks ago Lol:rolleyes: .........But Thanks anyway Mate..............:D ;)