Birthday Pressie
  • Okay, so I'm having a bit of a problem here my friends.

I have a boyfriend (duh.) whose birthday is next Saturday (not this one coming up).

But he is studying abroad for two and a half weeks n Africa and he leaves on the 20th. So I've been wanting to give him his birthday pressie beforehand so he can have it already.

But one of the sad things about shopping for a guy is I have absolutely NO idea what to get him.

Since I know a large amount of you here are male, would you please give me some guidance?

Here's the only restriction:
    It can't be a videogame because he doesn't play nor like videogames.

Okay GO!!
  • DVDs, some good gangster and horror movies, and a portable dvd player to keep him entertained in Africa..
    You cant go wrong.. :D
    If movies are his kind of thing, of course.. :confused:

Or maybe a new watch ??? Gold-plated of course. Lol... :D
  • What about a nice little pic of you guys for him to take away with him. Or get him a bag of really practical stuff he will use - books or something
  • Jane N STAFF said:
    What about a nice little pic of you guys for him to take away with him. Or get him a bag of really practical stuff he will use - books or something

*YAWN* Honestly Jane, what's fun about practicality?

I've already told her what she shud do ;) but he's staying with a roomy so def not er "practical" lol

I've tried a few suggestions, but no, sooo I'll leave it to the rest of ya... :)
  • What about a pet giraffe?? oooo or a lion!!!
    I know i know im not helping!!!

Malaria tablets??
  • Jane N STAFF said:
    What about a pet giraffe?? oooo or a lion!!!
    I know i know im not helping!!!

Malaria tablets??

OK, theres fun (not practical)...and then there's downright weird :huh:
    I mean seriously..."a pet giraffe"?
    You'll suggest a Mail Owl next so they can send letters back and forth between eachother ala Harry Potter style, lol :p
  • Most guys like gadgets. What about a GPS unit? That way he can track all the cool places he's been and things he's seen in Africa?

You know... here, at so and so coordinates I saw a lion... Here, at so and so coordinates I saw this really hot chic...oops!:p
  • Chris S STAFF said:
    Most guys like gadgets. What about a GPS unit? That way he can track all the cool places he's been and things he's seen in Africa?

You know... here, at so and so coordinates I saw a lion... Here, at so and so coordinates I saw this really hot chic...oops!:p

Er, she'd have to be careful the software on the thing was updated else he'd end up getting lost like your stories of people who end up turning into deadends because the software is wrong.
    Imagine...You're looking for directions to a certain place, you turn into a deadend and the GPS tells you to keep going and take the next left or something.
    Hilarious, if not a little annoying :eek:
  • What will he be doing why he is out there mel??
  • Er, she'd have to be careful the software on the thing was updated else he'd end up getting lost like your stories of people who end up turning into deadends because the software is wrong.
    Imagine...You're looking for directions to a certain place, you turn into a deadend and the GPS tells you to keep going and take the next left or something.
    Hilarious, if not a little annoying

SAT-NAVS are always doing that kind of thing, i hate sat-navs.. :redface:

You could get him a pet ferret, to kill all of the snakes he may encounter over there... Now thats practical.. !!!! :laugh: :D
  • Test and see if the thought is all that really counts. Tell him you didn't get him anything, but you thought about it and see if he gets mad.

I saw a commercial yesterday that did that, it was halarious.
  • Jane N STAFF said:
    What will he be doing why he is out there mel??

He is studying abroad for two and a half weeks out in Ghana. Will miss him like a baby I will.:( But I do like the pet giraffe idea.:) Might go ahead and buy him a stuffed giraffe though, much cheaper in my opinion.

As far as malaria pills are concerned...he's already taken his dosage up to this point. He's had quite a few awful dreams to match his intake too.:(
  • SEE JAY!!!! The giraffe is a good idea - Oh you may mock but i always have the best ideas!!
  • Jane N STAFF said:
    SEE JAY!!!! The giraffe is a good idea - Oh you may mock but i always have the best ideas!!

(Stitch voice) Ok Ok...
    I bow down to your impressiveness as the Mistress (;)) of all gift ideas...:notworthy:
    You did however mention a real Giraffe, not a stuffed one so it was still a kinda silly idea :p lol
  • Technically i said 'pet giraffe' Pet means stuffed in wigan did you not know??
  • Jane N STAFF said:
    Technically i said 'pet giraffe' Pet means stuffed in wigan did you not know??

Course it does Jane, and even if it does, I'm sure that's what you meant...:P
  • So after all our ever so helpful suggestions what did you get him?
  • I can't post the answer yet Jane. He hasn't seen it.

He sometimes views this forum so I gotta keep it secret for now.:)

EDIT: Okay he opened it today and he seemed to like it. I got him a "pet giraffe". Let me tell you though...it is right difficult to find a giraffe plush at the last minute. If you're gonna look for a pet giraffe you best plan ahead!

In case he didn't really like the present, I also got him an executive pen set that is engraved with his name on the pens as well as the box. He's the president of his uni's political science club so I got him the pens to help him look the part. They just shipped today so they'll be waiting for him when he gets home probably.

Thanks for all of your ideas guys!
    It's great to have a largely male population to turn to sometimes! ;)
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    Thanks for all of your ideas guys!
    It's great to have a largely male population to turn to sometimes! ;)
    And still she takes the advice of crazy Jane. Go figure?! :huh:

Melinda S STAFF said:
    Okay he opened it today and he seemed to like it.

Guy translation
    In front of Girlfriend = :D
    Thinking to self... Stuffed toy = :frown:
  • Chris S STAFF said:
    And still she takes the advice of crazy Jane. Go figure?! :huh:

Because Jane's was the most feasible. He's already got a GPS Chriss. Sorry I can't give him something like that. As far as dvds and boxsets and such are concerned he's already got that as well.
  • Glad to know he enjoyed his present. Well done Jane, for making such a "good" suggestion. Lol....

Guy translation
    In front of Girlfriend = :D
    Thinking to self... Stuffed toy =:(

Or did he enjoy it. :confused:
    Lol... :laugh:
  • robcoxy said:
    ...Or did he enjoy it. :confused:
    Lol... :laugh:

I would've enjoyed it :p
    Ignore them Mel, I'll back you up, lol.
    Actually, she doesn't need backing up...back her into a corner and she's like a Linoess, she'll knock you out and you'll make up a week later wondering where you are and what happened :laugh: haha
  • Jason F Staff said:
    I would've enjoyed it
    Ignore them Mel, I'll back you up, lol.
    Actually, she doesn't need backing up...back her into a corner and she's like a Linoess, she'll knock you out and you'll make up a week later wondering where you are and what happened :laugh: haha

I'm scared now...... :( :o

Lol... please dont hurt me.. :redface: Lol...
  • robcoxy said:
    I'm scared now...... :( :o

Lol... please dont hurt me.. :redface: Lol...

Just don't provoke her and you'll be fine, ok? ;) HAHA!