PS3 Engineers Interview
  • Hey everyone. Just found a very recent interview with two PS3 software engineers, SCE CTO Kawanishi (GM software platform development) and Kanehide (Manager in charge of AV development).

These guys are responsible for all of the current and future firmware updates. Someone on another website took the time to translate the entire interview (Though some things didn't translate into English perfectly, whoops), so I thought I'd post a few highlights for your benefit. Read on (Grab a donut and relax :) this one is a bit of a read).

*POSED QUESTIONS ARE MARKED WITH A BOLD Q"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The 1.80 software released on May 24th transformed the PS3 as AV equipment.

The PS3 gained high quality DVD upconvert using the power of the Cell processor, DLNA and remote play, and network enhancements.
    Even with the past experience of PSPs, not many people expected the PS3 to change so drastically with a software update.

Q. Upconversion was added half a year after the release. Please describe the process leading up top it.

Kanehide (K2)
    Sorry to keep you waiting for half a year.

Kawanishi (K1)
    I said this in past interviews, but if we did a normal bilinear upconversion, then the picture quality would just be the same as what is normally done by TVs and computers. Since we had the Cell, we thought we had to do better than that.

Taste factors greatly in the quality of upconversion, so we had to have various critics analyze the picture quality. That is why we couldn't get the feature out in time of the release.

K2
    I think we finally got it to a level that is not embarrassing as a product. We have gotten good reviews from critics, but it was tough considering the critics work with AV equipment that cost the same as 100 PS3s.

We have gotten feedback from them regarding several failure patters for upconverting, but we are getting closer to the goal. I think we can improve another 30 to 40%.

K1
    And there's still power left in the cell processor.

Q.
    Linking to games, the 360 has a feature to allow music in the HDD and network to be played back as game BGM.

K1
    PS3 already has such function in the system software. It is up to the game developers to use the function. Same goes for pictures and videos.

Q.
    Which areas do you think the PS3 has the most chance of growth?

K1
    For Audio and Visual function, it will evolve in the current route. PS3 has many input / output capability, and processing the input for various use will be interesting.

K2
    There are other functions for Audio and Visual that are upcoming. Wait and see.
    "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt like those were the most important parts of the interview. I was surprised that the PS3 is already able to play in-game soundtracks using your consoles music. So, basically, no one has even used that feature yet. No firmware update required for that one.

All in all, sounds good to me. Hopefully another firmware update is just around the corner. I love new stuff.
  • I didn't know you could ? I was waiting for an update saying we could play soundtracks in-game. But now i know. :)

Sounds like all exciting stuff. :D
    I personally cant wait for some more updates and new things to come our way. And it sounds like there will be a fair bit coming soon.

That was a really interesting read MCW. Thankyou. :)
  • robcoxy said:
    I didn't know you could ? I was waiting for an update saying we could play soundtracks in-game. But now i know. :)

That was a really interesting read MCW. Thankyou. :)

You're welcome. And yeah, soundtracks in-game are possible, its just that no video game developer has taken the time to notice, :p. Sony says it is up to them to implement a user-compiled soundtrack into their games.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    You're welcome. And yeah, soundtracks in-game are possible, its just that no video game developer has taken the time to notice, :p. Sony says it is up to them to implement a user-compiled soundtrack into their games.

;)

Well they better hurry up. lol... :D

Stupid developers. Lol...:rolleyes: