R.I.P. Chris Benoit
  • [CENTER]image[/CENTER]

Wrestler and Family Found Dead
    Chris Benoit, along with his family, were found dead in their home.

June 25, 2007 - WWE's website has posted the strange and shocking news that wrestler Chris Benoit has been found dead, along with his wife and son. There are no more details available at this time, except that local authorities are investigating the Benoit home. Benoit had called in sick to last night's Pay-Per-View event for unknown reasons.

Tonight's presentation of WWE RAW on USA will be a 3 hour tribute to Chris Benoit and his family.

I've been a long time fan of wrestling, and as long as I have been watching, Chris has been there.

This is a terrible tragedy, and anyone who has seen this man in the ring will agree. We have lost so many greats from wrestling history in the past few years, and it is always sad to hear news like this.

Chris Benoit
  • I just caught this story on the news when I got home from work. Sad day for wrestling, indeed.

My news station reported it as though he may have killed his family and committed suicide. I guess we'll have to see.
  • It looks like your local news station has it right, Mike- here's an article from WWE.com itself:

Benoit's death part of a double murder-suicide
    Written: June 25, 2007

According to lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department, in Fayetteville, Ga., the deaths of WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, wife Nancy and son Daniel were the result of a double murder-suicide, WWE.com has learned.

Benoit failed to appear both at Saturday's live event in Beaumont, Tx., and WWE's Vengeance: Night of Champions in Houston Sunday night, after informing WWE of a family emergency. Several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning prompted concerned friends to alert Richard Hering, VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Hering, in turn, spoke with Fayette County sheriffs Monday, and requested that they respond to the Benoit residence to check on him and his family.

Authorities representing the Sheriff's Department initially had a difficult time entering Benoit's new Fayetteville home Monday afternoon, which had been guarded by two large German Shepherds roaming freely around the property. Once authorities entered the residence, they quickly located the bodies of Benoit, Nancy and Daniel. WWE was notified of the discovery at approximately 4 p.m.

At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities' findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.

WAGA, a FOX-owned and operated television station in Atlanta, reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

The three bodies have been received by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's crime lab, in Decatur, Ga., where autopsies will be performed Tuesday morning. Toxicology reports will not become available for at least two weeks.

WWE.com has further information relating to both the investigation and the cause of death, but the Fayette County Sheriff's Department has requested that WWE.com not release any additional details at this time.

Very disturbing bit of news here. I wouldn't want to begin to guess what would drive him to do something like this.
  • I was watching RAW live last night when Vince came on (obviously not dead but his character is meant to be) and he announced about Chris Benoit. It literally hit me for six, I couldn't believe what he'd just said so I went straight on WWE: Homepage and it was true, right there was the story about it all.
    And then reading that he had done the whole double homicide (murder) suicide thing, I just couldn't believe it.
    I guess we don't know what someone like that is truly like. I won't believe that that is true until I'm shown definite proof that he DID do that though.

My heart goes out to his family and friends, and to everyone connected to WWE in one way or another. :(
  • Just watching FOX News and they're saying that authorities are saying that Chris strangled his wife, smothered his son, and then hung himself.

This is ridiculous, what went on there? God I hope they're wrong about all this
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Just watching FOX News and they're saying that authorities are saying that Chris strangled his wife, smothered his son, and then hung himself.

This is ridiculous, what went on there? God I hope they're wrong about all this

Unfortunately, it is all true.

It takes a horrible human being to do what Benoit did. Unbelievable. I used to consider myself a fan of the guy, but he doesn't deserve my respect.

I feel for the extended Benoit family and all of the people who loved him.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    I feel for the extended Benoit family and all of the people who loved him.

Well I don't! Honestly I see no reason why this guy should be given respect if he's gonna go off and strangle his wife and child.:huh:

I more feel bad for the wife's family.
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    Well I don't! Honestly I see no reason why this guy should be given respect if he's gonna go off and strangle his wife and child.:huh:

I more feel bad for the wife's family.

Well, I mean, I only feel bad for his Mother, Father, friends, I am sure they will miss the man that they "thought" was a good guy. It is surely devastating news to those who performed in the ring with him for literally over 20 years. None of them could have known what he was about to do. :(

You're right though, he deserves no respect.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    Well, I mean, I only feel bad for his Mother, Father, friends, I am sure they will miss the man that they "thought" was a good guy. It is surely devastating news to those who performed in the ring with him for literally over 20 years. None of them could have known what he was about to do. :(

You're right though, he deserves no respect.

I agree, I feel bad for his family too. When those things happen there is usually no warning and his side of the family is just as hurt and clueless as the wifes side.

Just a few months ago a guy that I work with's brother committed suicide. It was totally random. He had just seen his brother a week before at New Years Eve and he was happy. He was so upset that something could have bothered his brother so bad that his brother couldn't tell him about it.

I without a doubt suspect that it was the same for Benoit.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    ...You're right though, he deserves no respect.

OK, I've seen and heard all the stuff about this, as (I think I mentioned) I was watching RAW last night live when it was released. And now all these "details" about what apparently "really" happened.

Now don't get me wrong, it's very suspicious, but until there is 100% CONCRETE EVIDENCE that Chris did all this, then I'm reserving judgement.
    He was a fantastic wrestler, a popular one, and a great person (as backed up by what the other WWE Stars and his friends outside of the WWE said).
    So like I said, I'm holding off on judging someone who helped change, and create, the wrestling industry and make it what it is today.

Long live the memory of The Rabbid Wolverine I say!
  • I somehow extremely doubt they will find any evidence proving otherwise. If they were not pretty damn sure about all this I doubt they would state it all over the news.

Its unprobable that someone would break into his house, strangle his wife, smother his son and force a man of his stature to hang himself.
  • Mike C STAFF said:
    I somehow extremely doubt they will find any evidence proving otherwise. If they were not pretty damn sure about all this I doubt they would state it all over the news.

Its unprobable that someone would break into his house, strangle his wife, smother his son and force a man of his stature to hang himself.

Bingo. Not to make light of the situation any more than I have, it just seems like and open and shut case at this point.

I watched Raw live last night and sat in disbelief. Not for a second did it cross my mind, "What if Chris did this?". No, I was in disbelief that someone murdered his entire family.

Well, then the official police statement came out stating just what Mike said. It's hard for us all to believe, we're all wrestling fans here, without a doubt. It's always hard to hear about another wrestlers death, and it is becoming way to common :(.
  • From what ive heard and read he strangled his wife, suffocated his son and then hung himself. Apparently his wife had filed for divorce on the grounds of domestic abuse.

My heart goes out to her family who have lost two people - You do have to feel for his family as they will be going through the grief of loosing a son and grandson but knowing their son did it too
  • The wierd thing about the whole situation is that he left a bible next to his wife and another one next to his son. I wonder what that is all about?
  • What i have heard on BBC radio 1 was that anabolic steroids were found in the house in huge amount. It goes to figure the guy maybe had a paranoid delusion.

The sad thing is that he was probably surrounded 24/7 by people either family or wrestling remated and no one spotted this behaviour.

I guess we will never know for real what happened. Although the paper had said that the wwe site had removed all traces of benoit off of it

I didnt know until i read the paper today that eddie gurrero had died a couple of years ago. Its a sad situation
  • Jane N STAFF said:
    I didnt know until i read the paper today that eddie gurrero had died a couple of years ago. Its a sad situation

Yes, Eddie's death was very unnexpected. They barely had a tribute show for him, and he did not commit suicide. He had a rare heart condition, that - when combined with prescription medicine - led to his death.

The whole situation is bad... I just wonder how WWE is going to handle Smackdown this week. See, they had no idea Benoit did the whole thing when they held a tribute for him on Monday night. But, if you're saying that they removed all mention of him from WWE.com, that's really saying something. I suggest we watch Smackdown! this week to see what happens. (Friday nights @8PM Eastern Standard U.S. time - for those who don't normally watch)
  • Ive not watched wrestling for years!!

Apparently Eddie Gurrero was a combination of a heart condition, drugs, alcohol and steroids.

Its a very sad situation but something must push these guys into doing the steroids in the first place. Something should be looked at the organisation in general
  • On last night's ECW they apologized for doing the tribute- it was a decision they made before hearing all of the details. The show then went on with just wrestling, no storyline advancement at all. This will probably be the same for Smackdown this week.

I agree someone should be looking into this- there are too many deaths going lately in the pro wrestling industry.
  • Jane N STAFF said:
    Ive not watched wrestling for years!!

Apparently Eddie Gurrero was a combination of a heart condition, drugs, alcohol and steroids.

Eddie did abuse drugs perhaps, as well as alcohol for many years. However, the truth of the matter is, he was sober for four years straight before his unexpected death. This is confirmed in several news stories. He simply had an unknown heart condition (Possibly from the years of drug/alcohol abuse), and that + prescription medication led to his death. It was not suicide, for anyone thinking that was the case.

Lyndon M STAFF said:
    On last night's ECW they apologized for doing the tribute- it was a decision they made before hearing all of the details. The show then went on with just wrestling, no storyline advancement at all. This will probably be the same for Smackdown this week.

I agree someone should be looking into this- there are too many deaths going lately in the pro wrestling industry.

I didn't see that on ECW Lyndon... by apologized, what do you mean? I mean, how did they word their apology. I know it sounds like I am obsessed with this news story, but the truth is that I have watched Benoit wrestle for as long as I can remember. Even way back in those early WCW days. The story just bothers me, because all of these wrestling characters are real people with real problems, and I feel like I know them after watching them for so long.

Sports Illustrated's website had a full article on his death, blaming steroids in some cases, but shooting that theory down in other ways. They say that he met with his personal doctor only hours before committing the horrible crimes, and that Benoit was not in a "Rage (For those claiming steroid or Roid Rage)", and that he was acting fine.

However, the text messages he sent out further confirm that he did this. He sent one message that stated "The dogs are locked up near the swimming pool, the garage side door is open". He wanted people to come looking for him :eek:. Turns out he was even more deranged than anyone originally thought.

One last thing. The article said that he passed an old friend in the airport a day or two before the crimes, and told him he loved him. His friend said that it was very unusual, because Benoit was supposedly a private person who showed no emotion (Which was evident in every wrestling match he was ever involved in... no emotion ever).
  • benoit was truly having a problem no one saw it all his friends in the wwe and no one new anything was wrong?
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    ...However, the text messages he sent out further confirm that he did this. He sent one message that stated "The dogs are locked up near the swimming pool, the garage side door is open". He wanted people to come looking for him :eek:. Turns out he was even more deranged than anyone originally thought.

One last thing. The article said that he passed an old friend in the airport a day or two before the crimes, and told him he loved him. His friend said that it was very unusual, because Benoit was supposedly a private person who showed no emotion (Which was evident in every wrestling match he was ever involved in... no emotion ever).

where did you find the details of the text messages? They were refusing to release what was in them because of the investigation. I don't see why they would change their minds about that a mere 24 hours after the official press conference outside the house stating that they weren't going to state what was in the texts.

As for the lack of emotion in matches, he always had emotion in matches. He had that clear look of concentration, but there were most definitely matches he showed emotion; just think of the matches with Chavo and the times he ALMOST hit Vicky Guerrero, but he didn't. She was a right cow and tried to provoke him on many occasions but he showed he could control his emotions, so take from that what you think...Just my thoughts really
  • Like I said, I saw it on SI.Com. Here is the article. I got a couple of the facts mixed up a bit... he actually called a guy to say "I love you", he didn't pass him at the airport, sorry for the mixup.
  • I think he could poulby have same thing that bove hem mad and that way he did it.
  • All i really have to say is that in a sport like wrestling, you get hit around so much a screw has to be knocked loose somewhere.
  • Don't really know why I am bringing up this whole thing up again, but hopefully this is the last time.

I am quoting here, from a recap news story.

Chris Benoit's father Michael appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" this morning and shed new light on his son's final days. Tests of Chris Benoit's brain tissue revealed that Chris had severe brain damage. The level of brain damage Chris had was equivalent to an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient - and similar to three NFL players who committed suicide. There were abnormal protein deposits in the brain caused by trauma to Benoit's head. Chris' brain tissue was tested at the request of his father, Michael Benoit. Michael Benoit says that he agreed to have his son's brain tested because he found a recent diary his son wrote that indicated he was "extremely disturbed". Severe brain damage can lead to depression and irrational, violent behavior.

My grandmother has Alzheimer's. It is a horrible disease, and can strip you of your life in a very short amount of time. I couldn't invision her being out of a nursing home situation at this point, because, as sad as it is to say, she wouldn't live long. All memory of normal tasks goes away when the disease takes over, and she has the mind of a small child at this point. It is simply too dangerous of a world for her to be able to live on her own.

I suppose his brain condition was mostly caused by the constant steroid, pain medication, and assorted other drugs he took. Hopefully, with WWE constantly suspending wrestlers, we'll never have to hear of another tragedy happen like with Benoit's family.

I find it hard to watch wrestling anyway at this point, but I try to catch it once a month or so. I can only watch so much King Bookah.

EDIT: According to my local news station, his brain condition was also linked to the years of concussions suffered inside the wrestling ring. Just thought I should clarify that.
  • Good post MC!

I didn't see the show, but it is good to know there was some sort of reasoning behind his actions. At least now he can still be regarded as a good person.
  • Personally, I always found it hard to believe that he had just snapped for no reason at all. I always thought there had to be something behind it, and I guess that proves those thoughts to be correct.

That's one time I am most definitely happy that I was correct :)
  • Well, I hope someone finally opens their eyes over at the only wrestling company that matters. They aren't going to get any more chances to make things right, especially when their biggest stars are dropping like flies. I certainly don't want to see any more talent go.

I don't want to make light of the situation, but Chris Benoit's finishing move (One of them) was leaping headfirst off the top rope, and headbutting his opponent while they lie on the mat. Sounds painful, and wrestling or not, surely he bonked heads badly a few times in his long career.

As the story said though, it's not just wrestling. Football players go through the same head injuries, it just takes many years for the problems to pile up. By that point, your mental situation is probably that of a vegetable, or you go out of your mind. :(