• Hi guys, I am thinking about getting a PS3 but I just have a couple of questions I need to find the answers to before I put out the cash!

1) I heard that if I put a normal DVD into a PS3, it automatically upscale it to 1080P via the HDMI to my HDTV, is that true?

2) What type of video format does the PS3 play? ie. MEG4, AVI, etc?? Can I transfer my media files from my computer to the PS3 to watch on the PS3 Harddisk?

Thanks
  • Thanks to one of the more recent firmware updates it is true regarding the DVD upscaling. It also will do this for your PS2 and PSOne games.

Here is the list of video formats the PS3 can play, as taken from the online manual:

* Memory Stick Video Format
    * - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
    * - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
    * MP4 file format
    * - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC) *
    * MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
    * MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
    * MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
    * AVI
    * - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
    * - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
    * AVCHD (.m2ts)

Yes, you can transfer videos of those formats to the PS3 to view using a USB thumb drive or one of the variety of flash memory sticks the PS3 takes. nce you have it plugged in find the card/ USB device under the Video menu highlight it, hit triangle and select "show all files". Then just copy each one by highlighting, hit triangle and select 'copy".
  • Thanks for your reply. So, I can't transfer the files via wireless?

cheers!
  • Nope. Even if you are transferring files from or to your PSP, you still need to connect the PSP to the PS3 with a mini-USB cable
  • OK, how about connecting to my laptop using a USB or mini USB cable?

:o
  • richmondhill said:
    OK, how about connecting to my laptop using a USB or mini USB cable?

:o

To be honest I have no idea.

I mean theoretically you would actually connect the laptop via the ethernet port at the back of the console, but then you need a specefic ethernet cable and whatnot.

I don't think it would work connecting a laptop to your PS3 via USB. I guess you could always give it a try. You never know, the laptop MAY detect the PS3 as like an additional removable hard drive, but I'm not sure.

I would not completely recommend doing any of that though due to the possibility of somehow damaging your PS3, no matter how remote the possibility.

Maybe one of the other staff members knows a definite answer to the laptop question.
    Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Jay
    Site Squad
  • Connecting to your laptop should work but you will likely need to move whatever files you want to transfer into different folders than they are in now. You could try by making a folder called PS3 at the top level of your hard drive and move whatever files you are planing to transfer there. Inside that you would make individual folders for VIDEO, PHOTO, MUSIC (each names as shown) for each format.
  • Thanks guys for your replys! Will post the results here after I have given it a try!

Cheers!