Rather Technical Question
  • I have been wondering something. Well, two things actually.

How proficient is the PS3's DVD Upscaling? When it is Double-Scaling something, is it making it near-Blu Ray quality?

The second part to my question is - Which would/should look better on my PS3:

A Widescreen DVD Double-Scaled to 1080i.
    A Widescreen Blu-Ray in 720p.

See where the question gets interesting? :p Is the upscaling on the PS3 enough to make a DVD look better than or equal to a Blu-Ray?

I would really like to know, because it comes down to buying a DVD or a Blu-Ray... why buy one if the other could look the same?

Help me out here :huh:.
  • Er this is gonna sound obvious mcw, but how on Earth can a dvd look as good as a blu-ray? i mean think about it. Blu_ray is brand new technology created specifically to take advantage of the new High Definition technology, DVDs were created to replace VIDEOS, but they were still created when we had lo-def tech.
    I think the easiest way to compare them would probably to think about how the PS2 "upscales" PS1 games. Yes they do look sllightly better when using the smoother and let them play slightly faster, but do they look as good as PS2 games? er no way man, else why buy PS2 games?
    So i would say a great resounding NO to DVDs bein able to look as good as Blu-Ray, and they certainly won't be able to look better, unless you had a Blu-Ray playing on the cheapest BD Player availbale and then a DVD playin on the most expensive one available then ,maybe the quality would look kinda similar but that wouldn't be a fair test because you would be using complete opposites of the scale.

I think thats my essay done for the semester, lol

As for the other question, don't have a clue...:confused:
  • Will it look better than a blu-ray? No. Can it be equal? Pretty darn close, I think. The upscaling makes for a very sharp picture, I feel. You would have to take a look for yourself to see how you feel about it.

As for the 720p/ 1080i question, I prefer the look of 720p although the sharpness is about equal overall due to the interlacing of the picture cutting things back a bit. Both Blu-Ray and DVd will look good at either res.

Jay, you can't really compare the upscaling on the PS3 to what the PS2 did for PSOne games. This isn't just a bit of texture smoothing in software here- this is the system pumping out the signal in full hi-def for everything from PSOne games to Blu-Ray. They are two completely different processes.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    ...Jay, you can't really compare the upscaling on the PS3 to what the PS2 did for PSOne games. This isn't just a bit of texture smoothing in software here- this is the system pumping out the signal in full hi-def for everything from PSOne games to Blu-Ray. They are two completely different processes.

OK ok, smarta*** :p lol.
    If i had had the time (and could have been bothered to look) i would have found that out as well, but guess I learned something new as well :mellow:
  • Thanks for the help guys.