New UK Box Office Record
  • Just thought I'd copy this from the AOL UK Entertainment website.

Apparently last weekend (Friday 27th to Sunday 29th July) was a new box office record for cinema goers.

The full story is here:

AOL UK Entertainment Website said:

Harry Potter, Homer Simpson and the Eighties cult toys Transformers helped British and Irish cinemas achieve record box office takings over the weekend.

The big screens took more than £20 million over three days from Friday to Sunday, the largest figure since records began.

A staggering £20,038,938 was spent at the cinema over the weekend, thanks to the lure of films including Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix, the big screen version of The Simpsons, and Transformers.

The previous record was £19.2 million in November 2005, a figure also achieved thanks to Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire.

Odeon chief executive officer Rupert Gavin said: "The cinema market continues to show positive growth. This record weekend clearly shows that it remains one of the nation's top entertainment choices."

The figures were released by Nielsen EDI.

Well that just goes to prove that we still love our movies over here in good ol' Blighty, I wonder what the takings were like across the pond from us :g:

Site Squad
  • Well, The Simpsons Movie took in about $74 million US on the opening weekend- not bad for 3 days showing. That translates to a bit under 40 million pounds (roughly). Overall the top 10 movies pulled in $169,350,000 US ( 83,675,910 pounds).
  • Damn Lyndon, I knew the dollar was near worthless but i am sure you meant 40 million pounds ( well more like 36.5 million).

But, I could be wrong and thats really what the dollar is worth. If so I am sure that I have enough money lying down the back of the sofa to buy California... :o
  • Yes, i did mean 40 million. Sometimes I tend to hit the submit button before checking for typos plus my typing skills (or lack thereof) dictate i look at the keyboard and not the screen. :p