Folding@Home update (v 1.2)
  • Hey,

Recently, (well today), a new version/update of the folding@home PS3 client was available for download. Now i read that the new version adresses some issues like rendering engines etc, and added new features like the interactivity between the Folding@Home PS3 client and the PSP remote play feature.......

So thats fine. So, i downloaded the update and it returned to my current WU. Nothing had changed, except from some visual tweaks, absolutely fine..

I pressed triangle and noticed an option named mode, now correct me if i'm wrong but this isnt familiar to me ??? So i took a look and there were two options, NORMAL or ADVANCED mode. Mine was currently on NORMAL mode, but i was inquisitive and switched it to advanced mode. It would then change after my WU was complete so i came back for the end of the WU it switched to ADVANCED mode, and nothing changed, except from i got a massive WU too work on (750,000 in size), compared to my usual 400,000.

So i was just wondering, does this have anything too do with ADVANCED mode.... Does your PS3 get a more complex protein too work on ??? Or is it just a coincidence ????? :confused:
    It takes pretty much the exact same amount of time, so shouldnt everyone do this, or is there a downside too it like it uses much more power too complete or something..... :confused:

I'm just wondering really, sorry for such a long post......... ;) :D
  • er that sounds very weird that does Rob.

Well personally, my folding ALWAYS does the 750,000 ones for some reason, that's why mine always takes like three to four hours to complete one WU, which totally er, for the younger readers here, ANNOYS me (would've gone with something a LOT wordier than annoy, but this IS a family site afterall).

I think maybe you've just acquired a one off super WU so to speak, as opposed to me who gets them all the time for some reason.
    Maybe Sony know that I fold for like god knows how many days continuously so thats why they put me in the "top work group" so to speak.

Wish they would move me down so I completed more WUs.
    Have you seen how many Lyn is on? He was on like 350odd last night when i saw, it's ridiculous.

It's almost as if every WU i do, he somehow manages 2.

Er what was I saying?

Oh right, er just ignore it Rob, the Advanced/Normal modes MAY be a new addition because I don't remember seeing it. I haven't folded today, so I need to dl the update as well, so best get it sorted.

Hope this is better than the version1.1 in the sense i dont lose any WUs anymore, i've lost I think 5 or 6, which isn't much granted but it's still annoying.

Maybe Lyn or Jim can help better than I can Rob, sorry :(

Jay
  • I'm not getting any mention of an updated version on my PS3- according to one of the Sony guys on their official blog it'll take time for the update to get to everyone. Maybe by tomorrow I'll be able to update.

Did a quick look at some info about the update- Advanced Mode lets you tackle work units of different lengths. They do say that due to the large size of some of the units here it is recommended for those that can fold for 8 hours a day or more.

BTW, in case you are wondering about the energy graph shown during this, the blue line is the total energy level of the protein over a period of time. The red is the average temperature level the simulation is set to.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    ...They do say that due to the large size of some of the units here it is recommended for those that can fold for 8 hours a day or more...

so they do know i'm folding a lot and for a long time.

that's it give me the large ones, typical, lol

so what about you Lyn? do you get the big ones or the little ones? is there any way to choose which one you get? wish there was...
  • As I said, i don't have the update yet as it is being a bit slow getting around to everyone so the units I am getting are still in the 400,000 range.

Of course they would know who is folding a lot, just by looking at the stats as they come in. And no, you can't choose your work units- the servers at Stanford do the sorting out of who gets which.

Once i do get the update i will probably give the advanced a go considering i have it running when I can't play the games.
  • Oh right, so roughly speaking, the ADVANCED mode gives you longer/varied lengths of WU's to work on, and is especially meant to be used by the Folders who fold over 8 hours or so a day.....
    That just about raps it up then....

They really should of explained it on the Blog or the Folding website, thats where i looked and there was no mention

so they do know i'm folding a lot and for a long time.

that's it give me the large ones, typical, lol

so what about you Lyn? do you get the big ones or the little ones? is there any way to choose which one you get? wish there was...

At the beginning i got a row of about 5 WU that were relatively big, but then it just dropped to the same small ones every time (400,000), always named supervillin or hisvilin.... I didnt mind. I just thought a computer picked them out randomly, so you might just be the unlucky one Jay ;) lol

Anyway, i'm going to stick too advanced for a bit and try and get my score up....

Thanks for the help you two, (yes, you aswell Jay ;))..... you guys come to the rescue again lol :)

P.S. Thanks, for mentioning me in the Playstation News topic of this Lyn........ I'm so proud.......... :D
  • Credit where it's due, Rob- i didn't have a chance to catch up on news when you mentioned it here. So, i did a bit of detail digging and wrote it up.

As for how the work units get assigned, their servers dole them out in a certain sequence- as units come back in more go out. It's first come, first served.