What do you realy think about the 40GB Model?
  • Hey guys,
    I think that the 40 GB Hard drive is very big disadvantage in this new model.

What disappoints you in this package?
  • I removed your poll link, Jeff- you can easily set up a poll on the thread itself instead of linking to a site outside the forums. ;)

The one thing that would really disappoint me about the 40 GB system, if i was stuck with getting it, is no backward compatibility with PlayStation 2 games. There are still a number of great titles coming for the Ps2 (God of War 3 as an example) which i would not be able to play with that system- i would need to get a PS2 (again). For a company that touted backward compatibility as a big selling point for its systems since the PS2 release this is a very dumb move.

Also, this 40 GB system becomes the 4th version of the system to come out within a year- make up your frikkin' minds and stick with the one configuration, Sony!
  • Bearing in mind that we are paying almost double the price of the Americans for a PS3 over here in Europe, I welcome the move to produce a cheaper model.

The price we are paying for this cut-down model is STILL more expensive than you guys are getting the full blown system for, but that's another argument for another day.

I have a PS2 already, so don't need the backwards compatibility (and they are as cheap as chips to buy if I didn't) and all of the other things they removed wouldn't inconvenience me either.

In my view, the major limiting factor to people buying the PS3 over here is simply the price. The Sony brand its-self has a very loyal following in Europe (goodness knows why sometimes) and there have been major rumblings of discontent by many gamers who were about to use the arrival of Halo3 as the excuse to jump over to the 'dark side'. Personally I wouldn't blame them either when you can get pretty much all of the multi-format games first on the 360 at the moment here in Europe.

Again, its just my personal opinion, but I think that this move (along with some quality games arriving before Xmas... fingers crossed on that one) will jump-start the growth of the PS3 in Europe, taking to that next stage in it's life-cycle where people other than hard-core gamers start to buy it in large numbers.

I also think that its a very clever marketing ploy... gamers can now weigh up if its worth another £100 for backwards compatibility and those with a PS2 already will probably go for the cheaper option.

To be honest, bearing in mind that (in my view) the PS3 wireless connection is rubbish for online gaming, and most of those ports on the front have never had anything plugged into them (I bought a USB keyboard and mouse, used them for a week, then they just started to gather dust.... I wish I had bought the cheaper version of the PS3 at launch.

phew... I am pleased to get all that off my chest.

Now what do you guys think ?
  • I am a bit disappointed in the way Sony has handled themselves. All of these different packages and dropping functionality is starting to get out of hand. I think that Sony needs to figure out a way to lower the price without taking components and other functionality out of the system, making it worth less than it already is.

How about make some decent games and release them before taking out functionality that some people might see as you giving up. Iunno, it seems quite silly to me to continue releasing cheaper models of a console only to have removed something else. Sure, I have a PS2, but I would have liked to get rid of it when I bought a PS3. Iunno, maybe it's just me, but I doubt it.
  • I kinda like the idea. Like Jim, I already have a PS2 so if I could save some money buy getting the 40 gb version I'll do it. I only have a few PS2 games these days anyways.
  • The Backwards-Compatibility issue with the 40gb model, just completely ruins it, i agree Lyn.....

But other than that its Ok, its cheaper, therefore more gamers theoretically should experience some of the power the PS3 has..... But if you're really serious about gaming, and have the money get the 60gb version !!!!!!! :)
  • I think it was exactly what people were yearning for, or(complaining) about,the price being too high. Sony listened, and it seems they are going to continue working on a (software emulation) to employ backwards compatibility in future models that dont have the hardware CPU/GPU. As far as the HD(hard drive), it's not like its a big problem to upgrade to a larger one,or use an external HD via USB. With only 2 USB ports on the front,well theres your mouse and keyboard.And finally I really think there needs to be some GOOD games comming soon, games that push the PS3 to some limits! To sum up I think it was a necessary re-design to lower cost.
    ...Look at the other console makers doing the same thing. I got my fingers crossed too awaiting some AAA games! cheers
  • Drumstix said:
    Sony listened, and it seems they are going to continue working on a (software emulation) to employ backwards compatibility in future models that dont have the hardware CPU/GPU.

Not quite, Sony mentioned they would not work on complete emulation BC, as it would require too much work to do so. Even the newer models that was "software" emulation included the Graphics Synthesizer from the PS2, and not including that anymore basically kills BC.

PS1 BC has always been full software emulation, so that will never be a problem, but I doubt we'll see software emulation for PS2 games before the next console, if even then.
  • PS1 BC has always been full software emulation, so that will never be a problem, but I doubt we'll see software emulation for PS2 games before the next console, if even then.

Yepp, He's right....

I got my fingers crossed too awaiting some AAA games!

Well, believe me theres a lot too choose from this season starting from Ratchet and Clank Future, which comes out very soon, around 2 weeks i think for you North American guys.....:D
  • robcoxy said:
    Well, believe me theres a lot too choose from this season starting from Ratchet and Clank Future, which comes out very soon, around 2 weeks i think for you North American guys.....:D

Yeah, all I need now is to win the lottery so that I can actually buy a PS3 to play the great games.
  • Yeah, all I need now is to win the lottery so that I can actually buy a PS3 to play the great games.

Lol.... That would help i suppose....:D;)
  • Ya know, I always thought that you could never spend to much money in Research and Developement, but this is overkill. I think that PlayStation is focusing so much on R&D for the console that they are overlooking the main reason for buying the system in the first place: playing good games!
    Having said that, I agree with Madhtr..."How about make some decent games and release them before taking out functionality that some people might see as you giving up."
  • Ok, now that the prices and contents have been announced:

40GB + Spiderman 3 BRD == $399.99
    80GB == $499.99

My opinion is that the prices are moving in the right direction, though I would have liked to not have needed to keep my PS2 when I finally buy a PS3. I have no money right now, so hopefully they either continue to sell a model with BC, or I will be slightly disappointed when I have to keep my PS2.
  • Hi All, Its My First Time. Ha Ha Lol, Havnt Sed That For A Long Time Lol.
    so This Is My First Time And Ive Read All Yrs.
    i Dont Think Its A Good Move With The 40gb But It Does Come Down To What U Wont.
    i am Lucky And Have Had My Ps3 60gb For 2days And I Have 2 Say If I Had Waited, And All The 60gb Ones Had Gone, I Wouldnt Of Bort One.
    I Am Really Happy With It Really, cuz For One The Hard Drive, Mine As 47 Left And That Was Out Of The Box, So That Means The Os Takes 13gb Sorry To All U Who Hav 40gb.
    i Didnt By It For Bc But At Least I No If A Good Game Coms Out For Ps2 Then I Could By It.
    i Think Sony Have Issues With Alot Of Things, like The Bd Player. Its Brill But A Big Step To Take With A Games Console But I No Why They Did It, Its For Real Hd Games.
    You Need More Room Than 9gb For A good Long Detailed Game And Bd Gives Them That.
    i Mean Look At The Prices. Ive Read Loads About This And I Think Its Madness That Its One Price For Some And Another For Others. Why? You, As Sony, Hav The Power To Sell The Console As What Ever Price U Wish So Give It To Evryone At The Same Price.
    its Nuts Aswell That People Keep Say Horrible Things About It But If U Look At All The Things Wrong They Keep Doin, Then This Is Why. But They Dont Include Good Things And The Brilliant Console They Made.
    I am Not A Fan Boy, As They Call People Them, I Think The Xbox Is Well Worth Owning But Not For Me.
    it As Some Really Good Games, But It As All So Bin Out For 2 Years. Just Wait People, Wait Till The Puss 3 As Had That Long To Take Controll Of This And Hav The Games That Its Ment To Hav; That The Games People Are Ment To Be Working On With The Power Its Got.
    injoy To U All And Good Gaming.
  • Flash: With all the caps and lack of paragraphs, that was very hard to read.

Anywho, I think I'll likely get the 40GB when I do get a PS3, which might be before Christmas. I have a PS2, so BC isn't too big of a deal for me, even if I would have liked to trade in the PS2 when I got a 3, it's not worth $100 to me. I also am interested in the Spiderman 3 BRD, though that wasn't why I decided on that one. Mostly a money decision.
  • Its not really a big deal though. Like I mentioned in a simillar post of mine here...

THE HARD DRIVE:
    Yes,the 40 gig HD is small. HOWEVER, its a simple 5 minute swap to another.

USB PORTS:
    How often do you really have more than 2 people playing your PS3 at once??

MEDIA CARD READER:
    Again....no biggie. Put whatever on a cd/dvd

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY:
    I know I didnt buy a PS3 to play PS2 games on it. If I want, i'll hook up the old box.

Other than that, its the same machine as the ones who payed $500+
  • playstation 3 is good.
    blue ray makes it expensive.
    if they wanted to make it cheeper they should of removed the blueray drive however blueray is sonys own creation and want to make more money wich is sound but that is why they struggle to lower costs due to blue ray.
    playstation 3 is good.
  • sfjp@hotmail.co.uk said:
    ...if they wanted to make it cheeper they should of removed the blueray drive...

Unfortunately, if Sony were to remove the Blu-Ray capabilities of the PS3 then it would completely remove the ability to play PS3 games on the console as ALL PS3 games are created on Blu-Ray disks.
    Imagine how many DVDs Sony would need to put, for example, Resistance Fall of Man onto. Yeah I don't think I want to have to pay for like a couple of dozen DVDs that I constantly have to swap just so I can complete ONE GAME.

I presume other people think the same as me? Maybe not...
  • No Jason, you are right. I thought of the same thing but didnt want to post the obvious. It would pretty much be a PS2 without the Blu-Ray.
  • I realised it was the obvious, but, unfortunately, you sometimes HAVE TO post the obvious.

I didn't want to step on anyone's toes though. I meant no disrespect to anyone, but I felt it had to be posted though.
  • I know its only been a little over a week since I got mine but I absolutly have nothing to complain about with this system. I've gone through every feature from the set up to playing games to surfing the web and have had it running almost constantly. I dont know how it was before the upgrade to 2.0 firmware so I can only show opinion for that and after. As for the lack of features that the older sisters of the 40gb have?? I dont see a reason to complain about that. This system (so far) gets a thumbs up from me.
  • yeh sorry worded it differant i meant as in they hadnt of used blue ray atall would of been far cheeper but hell we all baught one so cant be to bad priced i though we got our moneys worth.
  • I always thought that the 40GB is a rip, why would you settle for the 40GB when for $100 more you get double the ports and memory. then there was the whole issue of compatablity. But I have couple friends with 40GB and they have no problems playing PS2 games.
    I am looking to buy a PS3 within the netx month or so, What is the deal is it Backwards compatable or not?
  • There is no way they could play PS2 games on a 40 Gb system- there is no backward compatibility for them at al in that regard. Original PlayStation games, yes, but no PS2 BC. Your friends must have the 60 or 80 GB models.
  • Tha is what I keep trying to tell him. His got it from a rental place and they told him it was a 40GB, and the other people are actually friends of a freind in another state.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion