Playstation 3 Emblems. Maybe.
  • [CENTER]imageimage
    [/CENTER]

Yes, I fell for it again. A new game in the PSN store is exciting for me, and usually against my better judgement, I buy the thing. I have got to force myself to stop this nonsense.

Anyway, this time it was the horrid "Go! Sports Ski". :frown:

While going through the options on this game to see if there was one to make the game good, I found something mildly interesting. In the "Records" section for Local play, there is an area for "Emblems". Could this be Sony's answer to Achievements?

Well, I think it just might be. It is a PSN game, owned by Sony, developed by Yukes!, so it seems legitimate.

Here are my screens*:
    Screen #1 (Close up)
    Screen #2 (Full Screen View)

*Notice, no emblems have been unlocked.

But the "Emblems" you can earn in this game are physically impossible to do. No one will ever be able to get them all, or even half of them. I promise you that. Why? Because one requires you to win 50 online Matches IN A ROW. If you play 50 matches in a row on this game, you don't deserve to own a Playstation. But then you have to win all 50.

Another emblem requires you to enter a game room with 4 other players who all have earned the "50 Wins in a row badge", and them win that match against them.

Well, if emblems are what we thought trophies would be, this is certainly not a good start. Especially for a game with Sony's approval stamped on it.

Yuck.

The PS3 (And PSP for that matter) could use an "Achievement" system, but if this is what it's going to be, it will be a laughing stock.
  • I didn't expect much for under 3 bucks for the full game- I'm glad i didn't bother to check this one out now. Maybe they are trying to sour people on the whole achievements idea?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    I didn't expect much for under 3 bucks for the full game- I'm glad i didn't bother to check this one out now. Maybe they are trying to sour people on the whole achievements idea?

I never thought of it that way. If they are trying to sour it, this game showed how easily it could be done.

I used to love the skiing games at the arcade, and it's been years since a good one on a console... (did 1080 Snowboarding have Skis? I don't remember). I was excited, what can I say.

I will absolutely wait for reviews in the future unless I absolutely know how good something is ahead of time. Shouldn't be that way though. You and me both know that all of the PSN games should have a demo/trial version (It could last 5 minutes or something, how hard is that to do?).

I think the PS3 absolutely has to have something like achievements. 'Cept the difference could be that the achievements actually mean more. Contests could be held based on the "emblems". Who can get all of them the fastest, who raised their "Emblemscore" the most this weekend, etc. That's the only problem over on Live. People spend hours unlocking achievements with no reward, other than knowing that they have completely beaten all of the parts of their favorite game.
  • But the "Emblems" you can earn in this game are physically impossible to do. No one will ever be able to get them all, or even half of them. I promise you that. Why? Because one requires you to win 50 online Matches IN A ROW. If you play 50 matches in a row on this game, you don't deserve to own a Playstation. But then you have to win all 50.

Another emblem requires you to enter a game room with 4 other players who all have earned the "50 Wins in a row badge", and them win that match against them.

:o They must be impossible to achieve. That is just stupid agreed.....
    And i thought the 20 kill in a row medal was hard on Resistance. :rolleyes:

The PS3 (And PSP for that matter) could use an "Achievement" system

Exactly, i love that kind of thing, and after hearing the trophy system in PS Home, it got me excited, but that now seems ever so far away, so they definitely for sure need to sort some kind of achievement system out......:D