• what does this mean? i want to play but i keep getting error 80010514 when i try to start game disc please help! :frown:
  • What game are you trying to start? Also, what version firmware are you running on your PS3 at the moment?
  • running 2.0 latest update
    trying to play rfom or cod4
    will load ps2 games but not ps3 ones
  • heeeeeelp i'm going nuts here please help me someone anyone aaaaaaargghhh
  • Is this a north American PS3, UK PS3, Japanese, etc.? How did you update to 2.0?

Going by what i am seeing on a Google search that error seems to stem from using a firmware update not made for the system it's installed on (using the North American file on a Japanese PS3 as an example). If this is the case running the system update from where your console originated should possibly fix things. You would have to download it on your computer and transfer over using a memory card or USB drive.
  • its a UK ps3 and i updated to 2.0 the same way i always update since i got the console in march, by downloading it straight onto the console from the XMB bit
  • So were you finally able to fix this problem?... I just got it today, and I don
  • Lyndon M Staff... is there any other solution for error 80010514 or only one will be to send it in to Sony for service?
  • You shouldn't have to send it to Sony. You may want to try grabbing the new firmware update, version 2.01. It is supposed to fix some of what the jump to 2.0 supposedly made. If you cannot get it directly through System Update it can be had at the official Sony PlayStation site for your region. We do have a link to th North American version in our PlayStation 3 Downloads section near the top of the forums.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You shouldn't have to send it to Sony. You may want to try grabbing the new firmware update, version 2.01. It is supposed to fix some of what the jump to 2.0 supposedly made. If you cannot get it directly through System Update it can be had at the official Sony PlayStation site for your region. We do have a link to th North American version in our PlayStation 3 Downloads section near the top of the forums.

But my PS3 already has the 2.01 update, installed it on the release date, the 18th I think it was... and the problem just occured yesterday.
  • In that case, pitbull, you may want to talk to Sony. i was under the impression you were running 2.0, the same as the thread starter. As i mentioned, the latest firmware was supposed to fix things like this.
  • Ok, thanks for the help anyways... I'll try restoring the Ps3 tonite and reinstalling the latest version... if I get onto something, I'll post it here.
    Later.

BTW... while dealing with the problem and tsting different possible solutions, the game (COD4) was read by the PS3 as Corrupt... could this have something to do with it? I just bought it yesterday at a small retail store, Could it be the game? Although I did play it for about 4-5 hours, in 2 different sessions.
  • Hard to say with any certainty if it would be the game or not. Have you tried any other games on the system?

Your disc may have been damaged somehow if it is being read as a corrupt file.
  • It was only able to read FIFA08... after running it for a few minutes I tryed again with COD4, and it couldn't read it... after that, it didn't run FIFA08 anymore... Then I thought I should've left it like that and just throw COD4 away, but then again...
    The game is brand new, I just bought it yesterday and I see no scratches or anything of that sort for it to be read as a corrupt file.
  • In that case definitely give Sony a call- the problem is in your system, not the game itself.
  • I already called them and a guy named Jeff told me that, he'd never heard of anything like it before!! To restore the system and try again... so he basically was of no help at all... I'll keep on troubleshooting tonite though.

Thanks for everything bro, you're the most help I've gotten all day!!
  • No, there is no way to downgrade the firmware as of yet. I would not be surprised if someone is working on that, however.

I would have to say try giving Sony another call but try to get them to replace the system. tell them you did as advised before but it made no change and have tried every other possible solution thought of.
  • I'm calling them right now... Let's see what they have to say now.
  • Ok... Just as I thought, I'll have to send it in for them to check it. And to think I was about to buy an LCD TV and Home Theater bundle... I guess this messes up my plans!!
  • Received this error about 3 weeks ago. I called Sony and told them what happened. Within 5 business days I got my box. I mailed it on Monday, they received it on Thursday and send me a new PS3 which I received today (Tuesday). So it took about 2 weeks which was a long two weeks but It is now fixed. Good luck
  • Lyndon,

I am also having this same issue. I'm not even going to bother with reformatting the system since it seems like it has to do with the Blu-ray scanner. I bought the system a couple months back and I seemed to have lost my receipt. Is there any way that Sony will accept something other than a receipt for a free repair? Also is there a chance that a new firmware update could fix the problem? I currently have firmware version 2.20.
  • You could check with where you bought the system and ask if they could maybe print you off a new receipt. Barring that, they may accept your credit card statement. You would have to ask the tech support about that one.

The firmware update most likely would not do anything to help fix this- it's a matter of a hardware failure, not the software running the system.
  • i had this error today too, half way through playing a map on cod4, it just frooze and i could not do anything atall, so i powered off the ps3 and powered back on again, and the ps3 was not reconising i had a game, but my cod4 disc was still in there.

so i ejected the disc and put it back in, and it still wouldnt read it, i tried with other games and same thing.. so i turned it off for 10 minutes, turned it back on and thought it was ok, as it was now showing the cod4 game in the xmb.

tried to run the game, and it would try to run, i would get so far as even searching for a game and waiting to game start in the lobby, but it would just freeze, and then back to square 1 with it no even regester there is a disc inserted for a while.

i rang sony, and they confirmed that this error code (80010514) is indeed a hardware failure, to be more specific, the Blueray drive has failed and the system will not run like this.

so he arranged for a corrier to come with a brand new ps3 system for me, and the corrier will take the faulty one away, free of charge of course..

so anyone with this error code, it is NOT a firmware issue, it is for sure hardware failure, the blueray disc is gone and will need replacing.. they come to bring me my new one on monday, it is now saturday morning, so its not to bad.

i have had the ps3 since november last year, and i thought it was just great how the guy said immidiatly after i gave him this error code, that they will replace it with a brand new ps3, even though its 5 nearly 6 months old, i thought they would take it for repair, not give me the brand new one, so im very pleased with that,

sony are great, never had problem like this before with any sony product, im long time ps user and psp ;) and when i do need it, they replace me a brand new system.. just fantastic after sales service, beats the hell out of the xbox i think..

anyway, this post was just to confirm that this code means your blueray drive is broke and no firmware can fix it im afraid, youll have to ring sony and get a new ps3.

marty
  • Which is what i said up above- it's hardware, not firmware, that is the problem.
  • why it happens not 100% sure, but if you get this error your ps3 playin ps3 games is over, Call Sony, tell'em its good old error 80010514 and they'll send you the (black box) within a week, you send it back with your flawless ps3 in it, they recieve it and send the box back with the new 1 in it. about 1-2weeks there. you must have your recite or sony wont replace it. you can replace it unlimited times for 1 year, after that they only replace it for Coin. Its funny we know everything about error 80010514 except how to prevent or fix this problem, yea yea people say they know but its all speculation. what I do know is that the more you try to play the game and get that error 80010514 over n over your clogging up the drain pipe, soon you wont even get a response just the good old error 80010514 screen. this is my second ps3 with this problem, you get it by playing online somehow, make sure your connection is strong, now understand here this is the worst error you can get. you get it you need a new PS3.
  • and for all you ps3 owners postin your messages sayin crap like (Mines never done that) or laughin at us unfortunate ps3 owners in general I hope error 80010514 happens to you the day your 1 year warrenty runs out, you wont be smilin then, beware error 80010514 its the mother of all ****ERS!!!
  • it used to say that when couldnt get online or if me router was a bit pete tong wasnt really an issuee amte just moved the cables a bit and was sorted. no ones gonna laugh at u mate cos no one would like theres to mess up. good look anyway mate bang on a bit of marley and chilax.
  • I just got the error last week, is a bit of a bummer :( , just waiting for a reply.
    Can any of you guys that have received the PS3 back if all your game data has been deleted? I'm guessing it would be but just wanna check as could save it onto a usb stick or something.
    Thanks for the help
  • Definitely back up whatever game save data/ game data you can, Weston. The system you receive back is not the same one you sent in- they ship off the replacement as they are going to work on the system you had. You can use just about any USB thumb drive/ memory card reader/ hard drive or, if you have the 60 or 80 GB version, a memory card in the slots under the flap.
  • Thank you very much, a lot of help :D
  • Just saying called Sony up on Sunday 27th April, courier came and replaced it on Wednesday 30th April. Thumbs up to Sony, quick and easy. 08705 99 88 77 is the Sony number I called and helped a lot. Thanks to Lyndon for your help as well. Now to get playing GTA 4 :D
  • Not to sound like a fanboy or what not, but this drive failure, its nothing new to Sony. Think about the early Playstation one, and how you had to flip it upside-down to play games. Then the god awful PS2 drive....
  • hi i got the same problem error code so so i bin reading around and i found alot of people seem to be having this problem when playing cod4 thats when it happened to me on cod4 any one no y it seems to happen while playing it ???

also could u please give me a number to contact playstation to send off my ps3 or link please and is there any way i can save the data i got on it ? like my internet profile on cod4 as i bin playing it for about 9 days in total time and i really dont want to loose it and updates ive had to pay for...

i will still be able to get it fixed even tho i got my 40 gig ps3 from a mobile phone contract (free) and ive had it since novemeber 07
    many thanks any help wpuld be very appriciated
  • The number in North America is 1-800-345-7669, dominoo. If you have something there to mark the date of purchase you should be good to go for a repair under warranty.

As for your data, just copy the game save onto a thumb drive. The maps you bought can be re-downloaded for free via the download list in the PlayStation Store.
  • hi sorry im not in usa im in uk i could'nt find gmt london lol sorry wat about a external hardrive could i save all my data on that and recconect it once it sorted ??? many thanks
  • hi so would a normal external hard drive work to kee pthe data on and would i be able to transfer it bak on to a ps3 when i got it fixed or a new 1 ????
    could u please give me uk number please
  • The UK number is 08705 99 88 77 (as shown in Weston's post), dominoo- I gave the US number after checking your details and noticed you had the pacific time zone listed as your time reference and figured you were on the west coast of the US. For UK time just set the time zone in your profile to 0. B)

Most USB external drives should work but you may not need that much space. As i mentioned the only things you will really need to back up are the game saves (I backed up mine using a memory card reader and a 2 GB card with plenty of space left over when doing a hard drive switch). Your purchased items from the store can be re-downloaded for free by going into the Download List (basically a purchase history) and use the download links there.
  • hi again thanks for your help much apriciated i have rang them an and first they tried to tell me to restore it but i told them i done it which i have'nt but i dont think thats the problem i think its the lense and they will be out to pick it up monday :) yay
    soo all i have to do now is back up all my data and wait
    thank u very much
  • my ps3 has the same error.
    so the only solution is to ring sony and ask for a new ps3? if so, does somebody know the number of sony in holland?

thx!
  • Well i've did my best to have a look, as i'm not fluent in dutch i may be wrong, but i think the number is [B]0495574817.

You could look for yourself if you want to make sure, here is the link to the official PlayStation dutch homepage, Official PlayStation Dutch Homepage. Look on there for any contact information links. You may be able to find a valid number if mine is wrong...;)

Hope this helps...:)[/B]
  • it suddenly began to work again. i couldn't be more happy :-)
    thx anyway.
  • Pheww, what a relief, congrats wout-r. Glad that you're back and gaming. I know how it feels when your PlayStation breaks..:)
  • I've been fighting with the error for a couple days now. I reformatted my hard drive and restored the original settings. And now it's working just fine and I'm even able to play the game that the error occurred on.
  • ok i got same message, called ps3 they blew me off did s**t 4 me. then was searching around my ps3 messing w/ alot of setting and found something. my hdmi cable seems loose in the back alot of times it goes blurry and i have 2 push it back in 2 get normal again. and sometimes when i first power it up my ps3 thinks i have just installed the hdmi cable and goes threw the process of when u first get it. so any ways, i went to Turn off the BD 1080p 24Hz Output(HDMI) option. If the Blu-ray Disc does not support 1080p 24Hz video mode, the video output may not display properly. Go to [BD 1080p 24Hz Output(HDMI)] under (Settings) > [BD/DVD Settings] and select "Off. then it worked fine 4 me. for now anyways. so try this out and tell me if it works for u guys.
  • forget that message. damm thing worked 4 one day, now its back to the error and guess what its sunday sony is closed gotta wait an extra day 2 return this piece of garbage. also has anyone ever turned in the 60gig after they stopped making them cuz that what i have i was wondering if they will give me the 80 or 40 or a refirbished pos 60.
  • Legally, i think they are required to give you a 60 gb PS3 back, or if that's not possible a better model. But, i should think you'll be sent back a re-furbed 60 gb model, that's the way Sony do it i think.
  • oh another thing. when u guyys call sony 2 get ur new ps3 if u have one of those add on fans take it off b4 u call them beacuse they will ask u if the serial number on the back is in good condition, in any case just say yes anyways. well i said i cant see it because of my fan and the bitch tried 2 say my warranty is void beacuse of this ******* fan, its not my fans fault the bd fried wtf. anyways i hung up on the ***** and called right back to get someone else lol
  • Rob has already mentioned this but I'll say it too- please mind your language when on the forums. We prefer to keep this as family friendly as possible so please refrain from the swearing. Thanks! B)

As for those fans, they make it worse by constricting the air flow in/ out of the PS3 and are a waste of money. Your warranty is null and void now, skone, as the failure was caused by using an unlicensed third party product.

They are supposed to replace the system with the same model, if possible. However, considering the 60 GB has been discontinued you may wind up getting a different model.
  • I just got the error message today. I restored the ps3 and copied all my save files onto a USB stick. I did a virus scan and it found one virus. trojan horse PSW from online gaming. I could have only got it when playing fifa 08. I was going to play a match and all of a sudden it froze and i've had the problem ever since. this is proof that virus's can be spread through online games on the ps3 system. I'll keep trying to fix it and if no luck i'll ring sony.
  • I got the same error (80010514) and since then I can't play any blu-ray games. And even if it passes the "playstation 3" logo it freezes soon after. Will formatting my HDD help? Or it's the lens?
  • Formatting may help if the problem is with the data itself on the drive having been corrupted but if it's a problem with the platters of the drive itself then it won't do a thing. The error marks a hardware failure of the blu-ray diode. You won't have any choice other than contact Sony.
  • Iv got this stupid problem too.
    Only thing is im out of my warranty.
    Considering its all sony's fault i find it ridiculous that it will cost me
  • To be honest, I'm doubtful if you would be able to change their mind on this unless you are maybe just within a week or so of the warranty being gone- if that was the case i could see them stretch things a bit to get you covered. All i can suggest is plead your case politely- screaming your head off at the customer service agent is going to do nothing other than make the call longer.
  • has anyone got a clue how to sort out error code 80701020 its to do with a dns error but cant sort it out..goin made here someone help! cheers
  • does any have the sony contact number for the uk to hand?I've got the same problem...won't recognise any games.....ta
  • Sony Support UK: 08705 99 88 77
  • Ok here is the help everyone needs that DOES NOT want to send they're PS3's back to Sony for what ever reason. FIX IT YOUR SELF!!!! HOW? Here's the answer....

By now we all know that error code 80010514 is a PS3's worst nightmare because this means that your lens (hardware) is broken (Diodes died on the blu ray lens). There are no Firmwares,Addwares,Updates, or anything else that has to do with SOFTWARE that can help this problem. The only thing you can do now is have it fixed my someone else, OR you can look up a couple of tutorials and fix it YOURSELF! It's quite simple only looks hard. You can do it with 2 screwdrivers and a knife. What you will need to buy are the following.

PS 3 20gb, 60 gb, and 80 gb, you need to buy part number KEM-400AAA or KEM-400A. Then go on Youtube (Thank God for YOUTUBE) and find how to replace your Bu-Ray lens.

If you have a 40 gb PS3 it gets a little trickier. See sony realized that people could now fix them them selves so they were not making as much money on selling the parts to repair shops or not making any money from suckers that for some reason or another didn't have their receipt so they won't fix it without you paying.

Anyway, if you have a 40gb PS3 you will have to open it before you buy this part because it can come with either KEM-400AAA or KEM-410ACA. The KEM-400AAA comes with one lens and the KEM-410ACA comes with two lenses. My guess is that they did this so they can get the money buy selling these parts or fixing it themselves. Well I THINK that the KEM400AAA comes in the older versions of the PS3 40gb. But you will have to check yourself on that. Look at the tutorial, follow the steps and check which one you have then just buy it off of ebay ($40.00 to $80.00) take off a few screws and fix it.

Here's the link to how to open your ps 3 video. Do some research before you guys go crazy sending stuff to sony which will only send you a refurbished ps3 that belonged to someone else and it was broken and they fixed already with USED parts. If you replace your part with a NEW one then your PS3 is still NEW not refurbished.

Good luck to all and I'm happy to tell you this worked just fine for me.

I have a PS3 40gb that got the death code 80010514 3 months after I bought it and it came with the KEM-400AAA I looked at youtube followed how to disassemble it and changed it, and they have a how to re assemble for those of you that can't remember what screw goes where.

YouTube - Disassembling PlayStation 3
  • Not everyone is as confident in their abilities to delve into this sort of repair- we recommend doing this sort of thing only if you do feel up to the task and your system is out of warranty. Personally, i prefer to let the pros handle it. ;)
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Not everyone is as confident in their abilities to delve into this sort of repair- we recommend doing this sort of thing only if you do feel up to the task and your system is out of warranty. Personally, i prefer to let the pros handle it. ;)

If you can't remove a few screws then there something seriously wrong with you. Especially when you have a video of someone showing you EXACTLY how to do it. All the pros are going to do is something you can do yourself without the headache of the wait and money spent.

But like you said if you have no confidence in yourself, then you should let someone else handle it.
  • If you can't remove a few screws then there something seriously wrong with you. Especially when you have a video of someone showing you EXACTLY how to do it. All the pros are going to do is something you can do yourself without the headache of the wait and money spent.

It's a little more complicated than 'just removing a few screws'. I totally agree with Lyn, unless you know a lot about this kind of thing, don't even attempt anything like this. Even if you do have a video walkthrough from a guy off Youtube...:rolleyes:
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    It's a little more complicated than 'just removing a few screws'. I totally agree with Lyn, unless you know a lot about this kind of thing, don't even attempt anything like this. Even if you do have a video walkthrough from a guy off Youtube...:rolleyes:

Ok I'm sorry you're right, you have to remove a few screws and unplug 4 cables. Extremely hard to do!

Let the people look at the video and then decide. And these are not some GUY these are actual pro's some videos are even done in SONY Japan :)

And I did it and never in my life have I ever done anything like this and this is just for the help of those people that can not or will not have someone else do it.
  • We're not arguing the point with you, just stating our own views on it. If you are confident with delving into the innards of the game system and doing the repairs yourself, have at it. Still, if you have the warranty, may as well make use of it.
  • The only solution is that you have to contact sony and get a replacement or a service........I HATE ERROR 80010514 !!!!!
  • This has recently happened to me. Was playing fifa09 minding my own business and the screen froze. Restarted the console, reloaded the game, and then all i would see is the error message or a loading screen that went on forever

Phoned Sony and they said that my Blu Ray disc drive had died when the game had frozen?!?! They said it could be repaired but if that failed they would replace it! A courier arrived two days later to pick it up for repair and he returned with it today (9 days later)!!

Hooray!...HOWEVER...Hooked up the PS3 and it wouldn't start. On closer inspection, where they had taken the machine apart and put it back together, they had left a 5mm gap running from left to right where the top and bottom half of the console join and surprise surprise...it wouldn't work! Phoned Sony again this time a little miffed and they have said that a courier will return in 2 weeks!! to pick up damaged console and replace with another! Jeebuz!

I love my PS3 i really do...but c'mon! Feel free to phone Sony and get the drive replaced but don't relax until its back in front of you quietly kicking Xbox's bum!

Regards
  • MartY3 said:
    i had this error today too, half way through playing a map on cod4, it just frooze and i could not do anything atall, so i powered off the ps3 and powered back on again, and the ps3 was not reconising i had a game, but my cod4 disc was still in there.

so i ejected the disc and put it back in, and it still wouldnt read it, i tried with other games and same thing.. so i turned it off for 10 minutes, turned it back on and thought it was ok, as it was now showing the cod4 game in the xmb.

tried to run the game, and it would try to run, i would get so far as even searching for a game and waiting to game start in the lobby, but it would just freeze, and then back to square 1 with it no even regester there is a disc inserted for a while.

i rang sony, and they confirmed that this error code (80010514) is indeed a hardware failure, to be more specific, the Blueray drive has failed and the system will not run like this.

so he arranged for a corrier to come with a brand new ps3 system for me, and the corrier will take the faulty one away, free of charge of course..

so anyone with this error code, it is NOT a firmware issue, it is for sure hardware failure, the blueray disc is gone and will need replacing.. they come to bring me my new one on monday, it is now saturday morning, so its not to bad.

i have had the ps3 since november last year, and i thought it was just great how the guy said immidiatly after i gave him this error code, that they will replace it with a brand new ps3, even though its 5 nearly 6 months old, i thought they would take it for repair, not give me the brand new one, so im very pleased with that,

sony are great, never had problem like this before with any sony product, im long time ps user and psp ;) and when i do need it, they replace me a brand new system.. just fantastic after sales service, beats the hell out of the xbox i think..

anyway, this post was just to confirm that this code means your blueray drive is broke and no firmware can fix it im afraid, youll have to ring sony and get a new ps3.

marty

hey hi i just have the same problem the 80010514 error code, sometimes my ps3 reads the ps2 and ps3 games, but the ps3 games after a few minutes still freeze and i quit the game and the game doesnt appears in the main menu, i can play the games for a few minutes only.

i will clean my ps3, restore or making an update i dont know, something

you said that the problem was that the blueray drive is broke, so you think if i will buy a new blueray drive can fix it ?

or maybe if i will buy a new hardrive can fix it?

what do you think?
  • hey hi i just have the same problem the 80010514 error code, sometimes my ps3 reads the ps2 and ps3 games, but the ps3 games after a few minutes still freeze and i quit the game and the game doesnt appears in the main menu, i can play the games for a few minutes only.

i will clean my ps3, restore or making an update i dont know, something

you said that the problem was that the blueray drive is broke, so you think if i will buy a new blueray drive can fix it ?

or maybe if i will buy a new hardrive can fix it?

what do you think?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Formatting may help if the problem is with the data itself on the drive having been corrupted but if it's a problem with the platters of the drive itself then it won't do a thing. The error marks a hardware failure of the blu-ray diode. You won't have any choice other than contact Sony.

hey hi i have the same problem the 80010514 errror code, if i need to call SONY i need the receipt, but if i dont have it, what can i do?
  • If you don't have the proof of purchase then you will end up being treated as an out of warranty repair, which would cost $150 to fix.
  • Hi I'm a first time poster here

My Ps3 (60gb)broke down on the first of this year playing call of duty five with error 80010514. It was fifteen months old. i contacted sony customer support ireland with a very polite email expressing my dissapointment at the situation. Sony kindly agreed to exchange my unit. I contacted the courier company on wednesday the 15th, courier arrived on the 16th and my new playstation arrived on the 21st. To have the whole thing replaced took less than a week. Sony's service was fantastic. They say its a reconditioned model i received back but it looks brand new.

All that was required of me was 16 euro to cover shipping costs, i didnt even need to provide my proof of purchase.(this may be because the shop i bought it from went out of business).

This post may not help anyone but i would suggest politely contacting sony customer support to see if they can help you as they helped me.

psn: mcgillatron
  • Ok, I have read each of comments in this forum and i have the error 80010514.
    I was playing Cod5 online for 2 months and then yesterday the error comes up then I could'nt play it anymore every of my other games work. Then my brother got an account is the ps3 with a different username and email. I have try to play cod5 in his session and it work perfecly, but i don't know why he didn't want to get a new ps3 because of all save I and he got. So the hardrive is good I think its only my save data for Cod5. But I didn't want to erase it because I have played so much online.

Then I try to copie my Cod5 save data in is session, but it couldn't because of file corruption, then the error 80010514 comes up.

So, I really don't know what to do.

Thank you for help.
  • Hey everyone. I had this same error code with my 40gb PS3. I bought it used about 6 months ago. I called Sony and reported my error code, and they said it was Blu-ray diode failure. Being that my PS3 was out of warranty it would cost $167.39 (includes shipping). So I Googled the error code and found the steps necessary to fix this problem. I bought a brand new Blu-ray laser deck (part# KEM-410ACA) for $53.00 on Ebay. I found it to be fairly simple to install, no soldering, only a few screws and some ribbon cable to connect (do make sure that if you go this route, that you buy the WHOLE deck, and not just the laser, or you will be required to calibrate the diode, which is better left to the experts). I done this only after purchasing a new 160gb model. I think this option is perfect for someone out of warranty and confident in their abilities, however, if you are still under warranty, why not let Sony do it ? Anyway, just thought I would put my story out there. If anyone needs further information on my solution, feel free to ask. Thanks guys.

*EDIT* On another note, do as lrosado3435 said earlier in the post and open the PS3's cover prior to ordering your new deck, and confirm the part number.
  • Moose-84 said:
    Hey everyone. I had this same error code with my 40gb PS3. I bought it used about 6 months ago. I called Sony and reported my error code, and they said it was Blu-ray diode failure. Being that my PS3 was out of warranty it would cost $167.39 (includes shipping). So I Googled the error code and found the steps necessary to fix this problem. I bought a brand new Blu-ray laser deck (part# KEM-410ACA) for $53.00 on Ebay. I found it to be fairly simple to install, no soldering, only a few screws and some ribbon cable to connect (do make sure that if you go this route, that you buy the WHOLE deck, and not just the laser, or you will be required to calibrate the diode, which is better left to the experts). I done this only after purchasing a new 160gb model. I think this option is perfect for someone out of warranty and confident in their abilities, however, if you are still under warranty, why not let Sony do it ? Anyway, just thought I would put my story out there. If anyone needs further information on my solution, feel free to ask. Thanks guys.

*EDIT* On another note, do as lrosado3435 said earlier in the post and open the PS3's cover prior to ordering your new deck, and confirm the part number.

I have this same problem and my warranty has expired, so how do I know what kind of Blu-ray Laser to get for my Playstation?
  • I've just had to fork out
  • Aargh! Just got error 80010514 today.
    After my ps3 had been sitting around doing nothing for a month. Just yesterday I purchased GTA4 and SoulCalibur4 and played these all night...then this errr morning I get this error crap. Did some troubleshooting;

dvd's still play

after multiple attempts no blu ray or games start-no more error message either = just ps3 acting like theres no disc.

this happened after I updated the firmware early this morning,note however that the system worked fine for about 4 hours playing GTA4 after updating;then froze during the game.

thats when after re starting I got the error message.

So I tried all my games=no dice

dvd movies=hmm strange they play fine...

Called Sony=they told me about the 'black box' deal 169Cdn$ unless I can find the proof of purchase = of course not!! looked everywhere. I have recipts for pizzas & cheeseburgers I bought three years ago.
    Think I could find one for a 500cdn$ console purchased last november? DOH!

looks like I'll be stuck paying the 169$...orr fixing it myself.

Am in dumbstruck amazement...this is Sony! That stuffs not supposed to crap out.

Am in total agreement with previous poster. Expensive console should last at least a year, not 6 months.

Shame on Sony = next time I look at a new shiny toy... If its a Sony I'll give it the same respect as I would a Daewoo or Viztek maybe Dynastar brand.
  • My ps3 console had this error and I rang Sony. I had to restore default settings which cleared all saved data from the games. So anyone with the problem should make a backup copy of saved data (seemingly easy to do). The console is no longer reading ps3 games but will play dvd and audio. They are picking it up on Friday and replacing it for free with a reconditioned model. The warranty ran out on this console in November 2008 and I will receive 3 months warranty with the replacement. No complaints about Sony but hope this console doesn't give similar problems!!! cod4 was a new game and may be coincidence that the console went bad when it was being played!!
  • Ok I had this error just the other day to and I was quite pissed off with the fact that you have to send it away to get repaired! SO I was in the process of backing things up and needed to delete a few things b4 I could actually back up the HDD, I deleted everything but the saved games data. Then I thought to myself, I give it one more shot playing MGS4, put the game in, had re-install it, and blow and be-hold, im able to play the game again! Iv had no crashes since re-install and my other game, Ninja Gaiden also works. Please someone else tell me they have done this to and it works for them.
  • Im not bullshiting either, my PS3 is now working
  • Although I have never had this happen, in theory it could be possible.

Just like any other computer program, there is the chance that when you loaded it the file was corrupt or didn't install properly. With most computers, simply removing and re-installing the software is all that is needed, so I suppose this could be a possibility with console games that load data to a HD as well.

Either way, glad yours is now working again.
  • I have just started to receive the 80010514 error messgae and the PS3/blu-ray discs won't read (unlike CDs and DVDs). It's definately the blu-ray reader which is faulty, but seeing as my model is the first one available in the UK in March 07, it has had a good run, like most Sony products.

Can anyone advise me on whether I should get it repaired or buy a new console?
  • I would contact Sony about getting it repaired- even though you are outside the warranty there is a chance you may be able to finangle something from them or possibly sign up for the extended warranty program they have on your side of the pond. That would make it a lot cheaper to get fixed.
  • I rang Sony earlier and they suggested an out-of-warranty swap that invovles me trading in my console in return for a renewed, old console, but that would still cost
  • so i got the same error message, it wouldnt let me play COD world at war so i went online and found out that it has to do with the blue ray laser, so i took apart my ps3 , the hardest part was finding a star in my garage to take out the first screw under the factory seal. btw i found out how to take it apart on you-tube . I had a feeling that the laser had dust on it, so i go the blue ray out and pryed open where you put the disk in and blew really hard, and i blew in any opening hoping to get the dust out , i put everything back together and it seems to be working fine, ive played 2 games of world at war online and im praying it doesnt freeze again.... ..if it does it again i am going to completely take apart the blue ray and clean the laser reader next time

I had the same problem with my ps2 getting disk read errors , so i took it apart and cleaned the laser with a que tip and it worked fine after that.

dust is bad where i live and i think thats what was causing the 80010514 disk read error ..

i could be completely wrong about dust being on the blue ray laser but as of now it worked. :confused:
  • This is definitely not recommended if you aren't familiar with doing some of your own repairs. If you still had warranty left on your system that is now gone so if something else happens to break you are SOL- you'd then be paying Sony $150 for repairs.
  • well I was wrong about my laser being dusty because i had the same problem about 30 minutes into gaming, so i completely took apart the blue ray drive and cleaned the laser with a que tip and it was already clean. i guess i have to find a new blue ray drive somewhere.
  • I'm doubting it'll be too easy to find seeing as Sony doesn't sell them to third parties. You may want to just contact Sony and let them handle the repairs.
  • welll i did find a site that sells them for 170 bucks. its not that hard of a repair, im 20 years old and i can take the whole thing apart no problem. when i was 14 i was taking apart ps2s . my ps3 is old and the warranty is long gone, the only way i would send to back to sony is if they would give me one for free :D
  • So you would rather pay some site that may or may not be reliable $170 (plus whatever shipping is involved) instead of paying the console manufacturer itself $150 to do the fix themselves? Your choice.
  • i got the error 80010514 7/1/2009 2pm pacific time, tried many different things. as of 7/2/2009 2:25am this is the answer i have found. only tested 5 rounds of multiplayer CoD 4 modern warfare at 7/2/2009 2:25am after hdd reformat as apposed to getting 1 round in before error/freeze/black screen started at 7/1/2009 2pm problem accured.

Hey bud. i had this error occur 7/1/2009 it started by a few games freezing 6/25/2009. then all my games would freeze after at least one game of online play. but all my downloaded games were cool. movies as well. then freeze and then i would restart ps3 by the switch on the back and wouldnt even register game disk in the system. which now brings me to 7.1.2009 now all it does is give the 80010514 error. tried everything. systen restore,file restore blah blah. u need a full hdd restore. if there is any game data u need then back up onto removable usb drive. go to staples, 2gig 13 bucks more than enough for saved games then do a FULL hdd reformat. it is located under formant utility. AGAIN this is what worked for mine so far. I wil get some sleep then update again to let you know if the fix stuck. but like i said i wasnt getting anything from the blu-ray format before even with the other methods i tried short of opening the system( which i have not tried todo yet< I HAVE fixed my xbox E74 myself so i do have some experiance. heh). now IT SEEMS to be going ok. if you have any questions as far as questions on this email [email]adamjd21d@yahoo.com[/email]. i have read a lawsuit towards sony may be possible from the other forms/or petition from other forms i have read. But it seems like a firmware update problem or some other software problem that may be the problem not a blu-ray lens problem. i am not certified in anything electronics, this post is just what has worked for me so far. so please try before going and paying sony $150 for repair. REMEMBER TO BACK UP ANY SAVED DATA/SONGS/MOVIES/GAMES u would like to keep because a HDD reformat WILL delete it. thankyou for listening and im sorry for speelling errors or holes im alittle tired.
  • !!!UPDATE!!!!!!

JULY.2.2009 everything is working out fine. I have run all my games without any problems, single player/multiplayer over and over again. So it looks like the reformat of the hdd worked.
  • My mate just got this error, so I decided to read through this topic, if he sends it off (which as far as I know he has too) will he have to back his HDD up before or will sony give him it back? Any help would be appreciated ^_^
  • I would suggest he backs up his game saves as most likely they would send back a different unit altogether. Anything he bought/ downloaded from the PlayStation Store would be re-downloadable from there once he gets his PSN name set up again on the system.
  • Hey Lyndon M,
    i have a problem and was wondering if you can help me out? please
    ok well lately when i put in any game in to play , the game freezes after a bit and sometimes the system doesnt even read the game that is already in like i would have to eject the game and then put it back in so it can be read, and also i receive the 80010514 error. my sound does not work sometimes but my DVD player and the blue-ray work fine.

is there any way you can help?

i think this problem happened from when i updated my firmware. i had checked to see if there was a update available and there was so i updated the latest version but im not sure if this is exactly what caused the problem.

Help?!? :(
  • As noted above, coolguys, this error is a hardware failure. You'll need to contact Sony.
  • Lyndon... this happened to me bro today, well form yesterday first it kept freezing now neither of the games start..i live in argentina and i dont know if there is any service, but is there anything to do to fix it by my own, i mean, i think the laser just died, it hasnt got the energy to continue reading the games.
  • Oh btw lyndon, how amny time they last between services...i hear guys in days, other in months.
  • You should have service there, roco- check in the manual that came with the system, you should find a phone number to call.

As for your second question, I'm not quite sure what you mean.
  • well..second question, i meant, if i got warranty and i give it to service, it will last x days. How many days you think it will last.
    THts not my case my warranty expired, i bought it in europe.
    The problem is with the lens+blu ray.
    Do you think it was my fault for playing or it just happens after many years.
  • Having imported the system you may be out of luck. The service would have to be done by Sony Europe as each region will only work on the system meant to be sold for that region. In other words, the local support would not do anything for that system. Your only choice would be to find someplace that would be able to service the system.

If you are able to get things fixed, the system should last for years, not "days". Still, it is this sort of situation that has me recommending not to import systems. In the end you may find yourself buying a replacement system.
  • Well ive have sent my ps3 today, i think the problem is that it has dust, becasue the other day while testing for the error it said call of duty 4, then 5 minutes passed and it jumped to the play online, lan, split screen options. Ive got some thigns to cool the ps3, but would you recommend me to take the upper part out and cool it to see if it has dust, or just send it. Hope you understand me, my ideas arent pretty clear.:D
  • Do not take the top off or anything apart unless you are very familiar with where things go. The easiest way to clear out dust is simply use a vacuum hose on the vents and a short shot of compressed air from those cans you can get for cleaning computer keyboards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion