Problems With Brand New PlayStation 2 Laser
  • Hi there,

I have been having problems with Disc Read Errors for months with my PlayStation 2, and have got to a point where it seems the only thing left to do to fix the problem is to buy a new laser.

I recently purchased the necessary KHS-400B laser (brand new) for my SCPH-30002, and installed it using the correct procedure. My problem is that with the new laser, the discs don't get spun at all - whenever a disc is inserted (DVD-ROM or CD-ROM), the disc is rotated a slight amount (perhaps 45 degrees), then doesn't spin again at all, even if the PlayStation 2 is left on for 30+ minutes.

I'm 99% sure it isn't due to a damaged ribbon, since I've since re-installed the old laser, and while I'm still getting Disc Read Errors for DVD-ROM games, it still spins the discs fine.

Is this due to a faulty brand new laser, or is there something else that needs to be done to the PlayStation 2 for the new laser to start working? They are both KHS-400B lasers, the only difference appears to be that the new one is green on the back and the old one is orange on the back. I hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance.
  • Only thing I can think of right now is to recheck inside- it's possible something else is disconnected and causing this. I haven't done any sort of self repair work when i had my PS2 (never had the need to, worked flawlessly for me over the time I had it) so i can't say with any degree of certainty what may be needed.
  • Just wondering... but you've probably already done this. Did you try cleaning it before you replaced the laser? This will often clear up Disc Read Errors.