• What games do you think should be followed up with a sequel?

What current sequels do you think should never have crossed you eyes?

theres gonna be a sequel to FF10, and this (to my knowledge) is the first attempt at giving a game a continuatuion of the story (to all the guys who dont know about FF, let me just say that FF8 was not the sequel to FF7) (even though thats probably General Knowledge)

I think it should be given the shot. Good or bad (we all know its gonna be good), its gonna sell either way, thanks to the great reputation the games have brought to themselves.

Another thing id like your opinions on.
    Should they follow up to another FF(7,8,9) that was for the PS1, do you think that it should be for the PS2, with the qualities of FF10 (voices, graphics, etc), or should it be for the PS1, with the same horrible graphics, no voices,same Summons,weapon and magic system).

i think it should be for the PS1.
    It just wouldnt be FF7 otherwise. I love those crappy graphics. they were just part of the game. I also think the Materia system was the best magic aquiring syestem so far.

Enjoy the thread.
  • Although I didn't play too much of it I found the graphics in FF7 to be alright.

Games that I think deserve a sequel are... actually these already are sequels, but anyway...

Ace Combat; I love flight sims, especially fight/flight sims (say that three times really fast) and this has been a quality series
    Metal Gear; This game series will never die
    Gran Turismo; this game provides so much replay value that sequels could be far and few between and I wouldn't mind

Well thats my list, gimme those and I would be happy.
  • Just a quick note for you Rex, Ace Combat 5 and Metal Gear Solid 3 are both scheduled for release next year and Gran Turismo 4 is set for 2004. Technically FF8 is the sequel to FF7 but not a direct sequel. Any game that comes in a numerical series is a sequel even if the stories have nothing to do with each other. Yes, i will enjoy FFX-2(10-2) and wouldn't mind them finishing the remakes of 7-9 for the PS2. I also wouldn't mind if a direct sequel was setup for the PS2 as well. It would be nice to see them. Ok, now for the games that i would like to see the sequels for:

Lunar(yep, next year)
    Star Ocean(Febuary is getting close)

That's about it because all the sequels are pretty much coming out very soon. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Sequels (and prequels)
  • Sequels,

Any Gran Turismo would grab off the shelve in a second I love being able to modify cars and earn money for racing.

As Gid mentioned
    Rockstar with the GTA series (gimmie gimmie gimmie)
    [/b]

But I also like the Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill sequels any of thos will land in my PS2 pile straight away. :D
  • Beware of all sequels, imo i think the more sequels there is the games get thinner and thinner...(Maybe this wont happen with all series but it can happen)

Ok u dont have to mention the FF series bec i hate them all anyway. :blink:
  • why do you hate FF?
    cant play em?
  • Originally posted by madhtr@Dec 12 2002, 03:09 AM
    [b] Ok, now for the games that i would like to see the sequels for:

Lunar(yep, next year)
    Star Ocean(Febuary is getting close)

That's about it because all the sequels are pretty much coming out very soon. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
    [/b]

*Cough*

Pssst......what about a little known game by the name of Xenogears! :D

There was an 8-bit title for the NES called The Magic of Sheherezade that I thought always deserved a sequel- Arguably, this RPG was even better than FF1. Ooh, and a sequel to Crystalis would be nice too!
    For the Playstation, I would like to see a sequel to:

GTA Vice City
    FF Tactics
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Front Mission 3

These games have sequels I want to play, but unfortunately, they never made it to the US:

Secret of Mana 2
    Final Fantasy 2 and 3
    Dragon Warrior 5 and 6
    Uncharted Waters 3 and 4

The only sequel I've played on the PSX which does not measure up to the original would be Master of Monsters- even though the original MoM was a 16 bit cartridge game for the Genesis

<_<
  • Originally posted by madhtr@Dec 11 2002, 07:09 PM
    [b]Star Ocean(Febuary is getting close)[/b]

You must be talking about Star Ocean 3? I just hope the battle system is better than the second story was.

My contribution on what games deserve a sequel would have to be Final Fantasy VIII. In the course of playing it it was a little confusing...and I think that with a sequel it would be able to explain more, but that's just me.
  • As far as i know Secret of Mana 2 was released in the states as Legend of Mana though i could be wrong but i do know that Secret of Mana, the original was released here as was Legend of Mana. Xenogears will never have a sequel and that's because the people who worked on Xenogears broke off and formed Monolith Soft which is now a subsidiary of Namco Homtek and they're putting out Xenosaga in the states on February 25th which is a totally different storyline than the original Xenogears series was scheduled for. Yes, Star Ocean 3 is what i'm talking about. The official name is Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time and it's from Enix, for those of you who don't know. I actually liked the semi-action orieted battle system of the 2nd Story but there is always something that can be improved in a game. We'll see how they do that but they still have the cooking and all the customizeability of the 2nd one. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.

The problem that i see with having a sequel to most FF titles is the fact that most of them don't leave an opening for a sequel but the ending of FFX was so open ended that it was hard to say what really happened. I think a sequel to FFX is a good idea but the other FFs really wouldn't be all that warranted. Oh, and FFTactics 2 is planned though no official announcements are out yet on it from Square.
  • Originally posted by Lolmuha Tiga@Dec 21 2002, 04:09 PM
    why do you hate FF?
    cant play em?

No i cant play them, i dont see the fun in running around huge maps with nothing to happen and then suddenly a big monster of somekind shows up and there are a fight.
    And i dont like the stories in thoose games either, i donthave the tiome to listen to all the mubojumbo inthere. Im more into action-.adventures and FPS games.
  • Not everyone is a fan of all games. There are certain games that i won't play and it's not that i "can't" play them but rather that i won't play them. It's all a matter of ones preferences in gaming. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Originally posted by madhtr@Dec 26 2002, 05:50 PM
    [b]As far as i know Secret of Mana 2 was released in the states as Legend of Mana though i could be wrong but i do know that Secret of Mana, the original was released here as was Legend of Mana.

[/b]

The first game in the "Mana" or Seiken Densetsu (Japan) series was a game boy title, known here in the US as Final Fantasy Adventure. (I forgot about this game)

Seiken Densetsu 2 was a 16-bit title know in the US/Europe as Secret of Mana

Seiken Densetsu 3 was not released outside of Japan, and this was the sequel I was referring too...and is arguably the best in the entire series.

Legend of Mana is the fourth game in this series.

"Secret of Evermore" released only in the US/Europe, is considered to be the "unofficial" sequel to Secret of Mana for the SNES, but is not part of the Seiken Densetsu series in Japan.

Confused yet?

"Final Fantasy Legend" series for game boy is not part of the Seiken Densetsu series either. Back then, Square USA slapped "Final Fantasy" on a lot of different games to improve sales...like "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest"

Shudder....
  • Mystic Quest is actually the PAL version of Final Fantasy Adventure. Secret of Evermore was the first and only Square title, as of yet, that was created by the US development offices for Square and it is very obvious throughout the game that it's true. There is a new game in the Seiken Densetsu series in the works for the GBA. It's called Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu which roughly translates as Secret of Mana: New Promise. Thwere are two main characters which you choose from to begin the game, the other character then becomes a supporting char. to help you out along the way. Oh, and for those of you who don't know yet, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance isn't just a remake....it's very nearly an entirely different game as some things are toned down and new ideas are added. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I think a sequel to Final Fantasy is the best(There already is,it is already out in Japan).Got somesreenshots of it.Yuna had a heavy change from ff10.She now looks like lara croft(modren type)and looks so sexyHEHE++++ :P .Anyway,the story goes on as sin is defeated and tidus dissapears.Yuna's main goal is to find Tidus.Anyway,HAPPY GAMING!!!!!! :ph34r:
  • If you want more info on FFX-2 then visit the thread o the same name in this forum. It give an explanation of the game specifics and other items also. Well, i hope that you enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I think a sequel for FFX would be awesome! also a sequel for Max Payne would be cool.
  • Both of your wishes will come true there, space_outlaw, FFX-2 is due out in Japan on March 19th with other releases soon to follow(about 8 months after). Rockstar has announced that Max Payne 2 will be out this year but no official date has been set yet. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I'm down with gran turismo 4, it will be online, and with my logitech steering wheel I wont know what to even do.

Here's a few I would like to see:

baldurs gate: dark alliance
    colin mcrae 3 (hopefully the next will be online)
    pro race driver (same, that should be online as well)
    tekken 4 (but of course I'm getting a little ahead of myself here)
    hopefully an online street fighter or 3d fighter, like tekken

I know that I'm still trying to master these games, its just to hard not to dream about the future. I mean I just got my online adapter for christmas and still haven't ever enabled it yet, but I just love the idea of ranking number one in the world, but dont worry...I will.

fank you!
  • Whilst a sequel is probably not viable, I would like to see something else by Fumito Ueda who designed ICO. That game is so beautiful and such a pleasure to play that I think I'd be inclined to buy anything else that Ueda does, just on the basis that it is his work!

I agree completely with what PinBall says about sequels often lacking in the quality of the originals - you only have to look at the last two Tomb Raiders for this. As much as I adore the TR series, the last two (particularly #5) were really not up to much and it was evident that new blood had been drafted in....for me that completely ruined the games. I am however, looking forward to Angel of Darkness; although whether it is going to be a good game or not remains to be seen. !

So unless a sequel is given the same attention, thought and planning as the original, it possibly shouldn't be made. There are some games that really don't deserve sequels!
    "What?" I hear you ask.... "not even Hugo?"!!!!

Having said that, the Syphon Filter series is very good and I do look forward to #4 being released...I just hope it will be in PS2 format as I believe that the programmers/designers/planners are more than capable of utilising the PS2's hardware for this kind of game.

I'm also looking forward to Devil May Cry 2, though I am not entirely sure I like Dante's new look from what I have seen so far! Although graphics aren't necessarily the most important factor to take into consideration, they do add to the game.
  • The team that worked on Ico are currently working on a new game for Sony and while they won't say what type of game it is, Sony has said that the game will be Icoish in gameplay but they wouldn't say whether it was a sequel or not. Hmmm, Dante's just a little darker but a new look is expected when you change art directors for the game, at least he looks like Dante from the original DMC. I'm still waiting for a sequel to FFTactics, which is planned. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Thanks for the info re: Ueda &Co, Bro' - I shall have to keep my ear to the ground for more about that. I remember it was you that first put me onto Ico, positively eons before it was released! Hehehe! :D
  • i know that few people here are Wrestling fans, but for those who are, do you think that there should be a smackdown 5?

of course, the world of the WWE is ever-a-changin'.

think of the names so far: know your role, just bring it, shut your mouth, (kinda like a conversation of catch phrases).

Whats next?

"The latest game from THQ: Smackdown! 5: 'OH, YEAH?' "
  • Think of some of the other catch phrases used in the WWE near the time the game is being developed and one of them will be the name. Just like the Rock has personified wrestling's PS2 era as of yet, a new character will step up to the plate, but who will that be? All you can do is keep your eyes on the show and you'll figure it out eventually. In the game of sequels it's hard to guess at anything though. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I personally think that SOCOM should make a sequel so should SSX, Metal Gear, Grand Turismo, Max Payne and the GTA series should contiue. I'm not a big fan of the Twisted Metal, Unreal, or fighting games like X-men, Virtua Fighter, and Mortal Combat. By the way it's really nice to see games like Shinobi making a comback
  • An expansion for Socom is currently in the works, scheduled for late this year or early '04. No word on what the expansion will entail but i'll keep you updated on that. New titles in the SSX, MGS, GT, MP, and GTA series are all in the works and should emerge near the end of this year through early next year. Also, a sequel to Shinobi is already in the works and should be out in '04. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Sweet I can't wait and the Shinobi I've two words for it YEAH BABY!!! :D
  • And if you're a fan of the remakes(and sequels of them) then you can look forward to LucasArts rendition of Gladius and also the sequel to Rygar is scheduled for release late this year. A few other titles are in the works but it's too late for me to take the time to go get the names for you and i'm too tired to remember them off the top of my head.....so on this note i think i'll get some sleep. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Thre are several sequals I would like to see but not sure if they would make it. I am a "collector" of Sega CD games and was glad to hear about a sequel to Lunar. I believe that series rivaled the FF series. The story line was great.

My titles would be:

Ogre battle or Ogre Battle Tactics
    Dark Wizard (from Sega CD)
    Another Shining Force
    And Phantasy Star (and I dont mean that detestible online thing, that is Phantasy Star)
    Skies of Arcadia (not a revamp)
    and I am getting Dark Cloud so i won't mention it :)

Wartoad
  • Shining Force is getting a sequel excpet it's only planned for the GBA so i don't think we'll see it on the PS2. Skies of Arcadia 2 is in the works and is scheduled for late release this year. No word yet on whether it'll be on the PS2 for sure or not. I hadn't played Dark Wizard before and i haven't heard any plans for a sequel. It would be nice to see a new Ogre Tactics.....maybe now that Square can get games out faster and now that they bought the original developers of the game we'll see a sequel. Sega does plan to re-release some of the Phantasy Star games for the PS2 with alot of extras including updated graphics and new areas to explore. Well, i hope that you enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Hey, thanks for the info, madhtr. :) I knew that sony merged with atlas so maybe a chance for ogre battle to done again.

Wartoad
  • Yeah, and with Square rumoring a sequel to FF Tactics after Tactics Advance is released.....the Strategy field is starting to step it up. A title that would be hard-pressed to be surpassed will be Namco's Venus & Braves which just released in Japan and I must say that i am looking forward to it(which i can't say about many titles). Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto, I think would be the best.