Space Shuttle Columbia Breaks Up Over Texas
  • This morrning the space shuttle Columbia broke up on arrival from space. Seven people on board. and some what of a coincidence because in 17 days would be the anniversary of the challenger blowing up. Please share your thoughts and feelings.......
  • I'm sorry to hear that. What happend? Where there any survivors?
  • It was coming back from the space station and at 6AM pacific standard time it broke up in earths atmosphere leaving a million peices to fall all over a couple states. there were no survivers......
  • Well that's another tragety. A very bad tragety. :(
  • My thoughts, sounding like a cynic...
    "so how will they blame that one on saddam?"

That was the first thing i thought when i heard about it on another board.

• As far as I know (and from some phyics) you would not be able to take that thing down with a stinger missile. Not only does it travel to fast (come on it broke the sound barrier) it won't get enough height. Some reports say that the heat shield broke off and the fuel broke it apart. I highly doubt Sadam is going to be blamed... but then again I have been wrong in the pst.

Traveling in space is dangerous, I was surprised that earlier trageties didn't happen consantly. Sad day indeed.
  • Just before the break up of the shuttle happened the astronauts reported problems with heat sensors on the left wing and in one of the landing gear wells. I'm thinking this was due to the bits of debris seen falling off during the launch-while they didn't think so at the time it may have damaged the heat tiles enough in those areas (only my opinion there).

Dagger I did a small edit for you-it was the Columbia,not Columbus.
  • I'm terribly sorry to hear of this horrendous tragedy.

I think that the scavengers who are collecting souveniers or selling pieces of debris should be taken out in the public square and shot. You don't see that at planes crash site. Why would people do it in a tragedy of this magnitude? :(
  • Well I can't relly say that I feel anything. It happened so far away from my world that it's reading it in a ficion book or seing it in a movie.

As Mengsk pointed out there are dangers involwed in space traveling, and the risk of getting killed buring a mission is probably something the astrnauts are aware of. None the less, the familys have every right to grieve.

Data collected will probably help in making better vessels for future space trips.
    Come to think of it, there are worse things that can happen to a man then to be able to go to space and serve science even if it means being killed in the end.
    That's what I think.
  • Its been over 17 years since the Challenger disaster, 17 years is a pretty good track record as far as I am concerned.

As for these people collecting and selling the debris Manneman is right they should be shot.

I totally agree with you Lyndon, I would be very surprised if the piece that fell off during takeoff had nothing to do with it. It looks like to me that that piece that fell off damaged one of the tiles than on re-entry the heat fried the sensors.

My thoughts go out to the victims of this tragedy, their friends and families.
  • This is an absolutely horrific tragedy!! But, as it's been said, to go in that manner, knowing that you've been in space, serving mankind in such a way..... well, what better way to go.....

The debris that has been mentioned was some insulation that had broken off one of the fuel tanks, I think, and had hit that wing on it's way away. I'm pretty sure it had to have had something to do with it.

Those scavengers that Manne mentioned should be worse than shot. They should be publically made to go up in a plane with all their belongings and strew them about over a whole state and then watch on public television while people find their stuff and take it. Then they should be taken out and shot....... in one knee-cap. Then, an hour later the other, then in another hour in one elbow, another hour later the other elbow....... and so on, one non-lethal body part per hour...... those people are nothing but trash!!!!! They are guilty of obstructing an investigation which could potentially save lives in the future!!! :angry: Any one of the pieces of debris from the crash could hold valuable clues as to what happened and how it could be prevented in the future, and these ANIMALS could very well be putting in jeopardy the lives of someone, or some MANY!!!!! :angry:

Anyway, the whole thing had me in tears as I was watching it on the news this afternoon.

At least, as I understand they were going Mach 18 at the time, they probably didn't have time to suffer, thank God! :(
  • Originally posted by Susan B STAFF@Feb 1 2003, 08:07 PM
    This is an absolutely horrific tragedy!!

as I understand they were going Mach 18 at the time, they probably didn't have time to suffer, thank God! :(

My sentiments exactly.

This one saddens me.
  • I live in the Space Coast region of Florida, watching the Shuttle launches and landings is something I've grown accustomed to, and unfortunately, something I take for granted. I did not witness the disaster.

The loss of life is very saddening, and the adverse economical impact of this tragedy will affect everyone in this area for years to come. :(
  • Originally posted by jdm1108@Feb 2 2003, 12:06 AM
    I think that the scavengers who are collecting souveniers or selling pieces of debris should be taken out in the public square and shot.

I just want to point out that I am in NO way in favor of executing people, no matter what they have done. ;)
  • The people that are grabbing these bits of the shuttle should be using some common sense and listen to the warning NASA put out-the debris could well have traces of various chemicals from the propellant systems and other areas that can be quite damaging if exposed to it.If some of them do get any sort of injury due to their callousness tat would be punishment enough I think.
  • Yeah...that was indeed a sad event that many of us have witnessed on the news reels.

But taking into account the actual event of traveling into space, this accident was, for lack of better words, long overdue.

Look at the whole picture for a moment. We all live on a round orb floating in the vastness of space...a vastness that we don't even know the boundries of; yet over the decades the human machine has been trying to break out of our comfortable boundries of Earth and explore the stars.

These are incredible risk takers, no matter how "routine" space shuttle flights have become; and sadly, it won't be the last tragedy that will bestow us in our attempts to search the boundries of space.

Also, lets not forget that for the space program this is a set-back; for seven families, this is a tremendous loss. :(
  • This is a sad tragedy especially not just the families but all the people that look up to the astronauts and there peers.

I feel particualarily(sp?) sorry for the young daughter of the Israeli astronaut who made the joke of the space shuttle going boom when TV interviewed her father. She will live for a while thinking what a horrible joke she made before seeing her father for one of the last times.

I have to agree that the track record for NASA is rather good and I am sure that this will not be the last accident in man's venture into the unknown.
  • Lolly mooha: I belive that you find those jokes rather funny but you must understand that many of APi:s members has a different point of view on the incidents.

How about you stop hurting and pissing people off and tell some good ole Drunken irish stupidity jokes instead?
    I meen really, what are you trying to do, get your self banned?
  • I've deleted Tiga's posts there due to the obvious lack of taste. :angry: Tiga,I would advise putting a bit more thought into your posts next time.
  • OK,OK.

I was just trying to tick rex off.

lets see, although i still find that funny, im sorry.

and moneyman, its Lolumuha Tiga, Al Bhed for Cyclone Duke. and i dont drink and resent my country for being known for its drink.

anyway, sorry.
  • Lolmuha Tiga, we don't like Trolls in our site. If you can't find anything better to do than troll for flaming then you best find somewhere else to go. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • As I told you in the PM that I sent you...
    Not only did you offend me with your inappropriate joke but the rest of the members who made a general heartfelt reply in that thread. [/b]
    So I think that you owe those members an apology at least.

Besides what have I ever done to you to have you want to tick me off?

Any Mod who would like to split this topic, go ahead. I am curious where this is going to go and if LT can dig himself out of this very deep hole he has dug himself with this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion