N N N N N O O O O O !
  • Well I did the unthinkable tonight. I almost cried... almost. I was playing GTA: Vice City and just finished the mission "Keep your friends close... then took the Hunter out for a quick spin before quitting. I saved the game.

At least I thought I did.

I turned off my PS2 before it was finished saving. I lost everything. :( Almost two months of work down the drain. :angry:

I don't know if I should start over or use my buddy's save and start off again from where he is. He is not quite as far as I was. The main reason that I haven't decided to copy his game is that he has used quite a few 'spawning' cheats and I wanted to keep my game somewhat 'clean' of cheats. Plus I have heard that certain cheats will corrupt your game in some way or another.

So my question is this... what do I do? :(
  • Whatever you feel comfortable doing is what you should do. If using your friend's save won't bother you then do it but if it'll stay with you then go for starting over. I have never turned off my PS2 while saving but i do have a card that stopped working and it's pretty hard to bring back 200+ hours worth of FFX and other stuff on top of that. Well, i hope that you enjoy posting and have fun gaming....just remember, whatever you feel comfortable doing but personally i'd probably stare at my game for a few months and eventually start over myself.
  • Just start over man.
    I started over after finnishing the last mission and I was surpriced how fun it was.
    Since you know what's gonna happen and were all the armor and weapons are, you can prepare your self better and ambush some of the enemys and stuff.

I truely enjoyed being "professional" in my hits. :D
  • I would say start yourself over-I recall reading in a couple of places that Rockstar did some coding that prevented people that used codes from actually seeing the 100%.Also,it would be more satisfying to do it yourself rather than take up where someone else left off. :D
  • If i was you i would start over because like Lyndon said codes will prevent you from getting 100%. I have read on many web sites of people complaining of when they've used cheats they find it impossible to aquire 100%

So be a man and start over ;)
  • Why did you turn it off!! Anyway i would start over. I dont like playing from someone elses game.
  • I'd say you should start again, as you would keep a clear conscience and have the satisfaction of knowing what to do and be able to do it better.

I know what it feels like, losing all my GT data, and ALL rct saves. But I started again, and got a etter score, learning new things that I had never seen before.

It only a game - though a damn good one!
  • Originally posted by GeneStarwind@Feb 15 2003, 06:33 PM
    Why did you turn it off!!

I turned it off 'cause I was done playing. I was talking to my wife while it was saving and I wasn't paying attention. While I was talking to her (while it was saving) I just got up and turned off the PS2. I guess her beauty distracted me. ;)

But anyway with a lot of work and some sympathy from her she let me play all day and I regained some of my lost game. I would say I am 2/3 of the way back to where I was when I lost the save. A little more time and I will be back to my former glory in Vice City. :rolleyes:
  • I know how you feel man. Back in the GT2 days, I was playing at my grandparents house (who only have 1 tv) and my brother (who was 5 back then) decided he wanted to watch a video. So I said "Ok, just let me save" and began to save... he lacked patience (then, and still now) I think the rest is self-explainitary <_<
  • I know how you felt, my memory card broke(unknown how)and over 100 mil on Gran Turismo gone, over 25 mil on Gran Turismo 2 gone. Harvest Moon, 14 years gone, plus way more, Dark Stone, last place gone, Syphon Filter 1,2,3 I won it and had allot of 2 player stages and codes, gone, Metal Gear Solid, I Won it 5 times, gone. I can go on for a long time, but I won't. I felt your pain. :lol:
  • Just start over I mean it wasn't a very long mission and now you know to save, save, save when your done :D
  • Originally posted by KiLLa@Feb 15 2003, 06:32 PM
    I know how you feel man. Back in the GT2 days, I was playing at my grandparents house (who only have 1 tv) and my brother (who was 5 back then) decided he wanted to watch a video. So I said "Ok, just let me save" and began to save... he lacked patience (then, and still now) I think the rest is self-explainitary <_< </b>

Is that brother still alive!?!? :ph34r: :lol:

Thankfully I've never (yet) lost any gaming info, (that I can recall), but hey, I'm young yet!! ;)
  • Originally posted by Kaver@Feb 15 2003, 11:12 PM
    Just start over I mean it wasn't a very long mission and now you know to save, save, save when your done :D

I think what he meant, Kaver, was that it erased his entire save. Ever wonder why the system prompts you to be sure not to turn off the power or pull out the card during saves? That's why, because it has a tendency to completely erase saves because basically it first deletes your old save and then it saves your new one and if you remove the card to soon then you end up with nothing. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Originally posted by Susan B STAFF@Feb 16 2003, 04:36 AM
    Thankfully I've never (yet) lost any gaming info, (that I can recall), but hey, I'm young yet!! ;)

I lost my entire game data on Saga Frontier by doing that, I started a new game and acctidently saved it on my old one, I turned the game off really quick and it earases.
  • I agree with the majority, just start over :D I started that game over like 4 times, I kept forgetting some cheats stay resident if you save the game. I put in the code that makes everyone riot, trying to be snaeky on missions is hard when everyone is beating you down :D

Wartoad
  • Is that brother still alive!?!?[/b]

Had it not been for the fact that he is half-demon (half may be an understatement), he wouldn't be <_< <br />Oh well, the thought of moving out seems to keep me sane.... well, partly sane.... quit lookin at me like that! :P

Rex, I'd just start again, it'd give you a chance to re-live those great moments like when you chase that guy through the alleyways on a dirt bike. You gotta love the dirt bikes.

Wartoad, your name reminds me of 'BattleToads' on the SNES. I feel like playing it now :blink: (see: 'partly sane')

You may now go back to an on-topic discussion :)
  • That happened when i was playing the getaway two days ago.. i think it may be a Ps2 error...did you lose any data from other games......maybe you should save with another memory card!!

I was playing the getaway and then i had to go out and get some stuff and when i ane back my sister was playing it(Brittneys dance thing) and she had saved it...i think that there may have been so much on it that when she saved it had to wipe some of the data

but would i be able to suggest getting your ps2 checked??

i am planning to do that

ill tell you guys what happens when i get it checked

~BJ~
  • 21 days later I am back... actually I am back and bigger than I was before. When I erased it 21 days ago I didn't have the boatyard asset... now I do! I have everything back and then some.

So what took me 2 months to do before only took me 21 days the second time around. :D

Thanks for the advice guys.
  • Good to hear rex- maybe you'll want to make a back up save just in case this happens again? :lol: j/k

Seeing as that crisis is taken care of I'll lock this thread up.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion