Stupid Sh!t
  • What has become of cartoons for children? They are split into two catagories: the really stupid (The Fairy Odd Parents, Two stupid dogs, Ed Edd and Eddy, etc.) and Japanamation (Dragonball Z, Pokimon, Digimon). We expect our children to turn out to be responsible and respectable adults, but yet we sit them in front of this crap. Granted cartoons have never been the greatest, but at least they used to teach children lessons.
  • I agree, I don't even like most of the cartoons on now! They are all... well, there is no word to describe how stupid they are.
  • I konw they are getting kind of stupid.I do like King of the Hill, and The Simpsons.
  • Forgive me if I sound snotty unidentified32, but would you rather your kid bug you all day or your kid sit in front of the television be quiet?

I am a big cartoon enthusiast. If you don't want your kids watching what you refer to as "Japanamation" and most refer to as "anime" then simply change the channel. As far as Ed Edd and Eddy, Fairly Odd Parents and Two Stupid Dogs go..you can also change the channel there. I don't know what cartoons you grew up with, but if it is like Tom and Jerry then of course you're going to think these current cartoons suck...it just all depends on level of background.
  • Yes, many of today's cartoons are very bad. One thing though, in Japan children are expected to be much more mature than are expected of areas outside of their country. DB/Z/GT is laced with blood, gore, nudity, and cursing but you don't see any of that here...... because of censors. DBZ is marketed as a children's show when in reality it isn't so that could explain why it isn't as good as you'd hope. Anime, which previously was Japanamation, which originates from Japanese Animation, is what us Westerners(Basically outside Japan) use to call any animated show that originated in Japan. When thinking of Anime i like to think of Trigun, Hellsing, Argentosoma, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc., etc. Yes, Digimon, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh(which originated as a GBA game), etc. are marketed for children but it's basically there to create a fantasy world for the children, to take their minds off of everyday nonsense that goes on all around them. The same goes for any other cartoon on the market, though not all of cartoons actually create a fantasy environment. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.

Oh, and i should mention that if "we" expect them to learn lessons from tv then we're very mistaken. Personally i learned about life by my experiences, not from Garfield & Friends. Granted i didn't have much of a family structure until i was almost 10 and even then it was iffy but to tell you the truth, i have always done better when i do things independently, including live my life.

*Disclaimer - Pay no attention to the last sentence if you don't know what i'm talking about.
  • Most children over the eight watch more satrical cartoons such as The simpsons, fururama and so on, and most over 10 watch adult stuff like South park, which is really popular.

Of course there are going to be really wacked out cartoons: Rocco's Modern Life was the most weird thing that i've ever seen, but it did wonders to my imagintion.

Some others also try to tackle sriou issues with bad jokes, and they don't turn out too bad, like Recess.

There are the anime ones, and fantasy, and finally, the classic ones with bugs bunny, etc... which actually are hardly shown on TV any more, or st childerns times. They've all been taken over by 'cooler' more modern stuff, but no, they become like specials...

;)
  • Originally posted by RedKennypup2004@Mar 1 2003, 06:32 AM
    would you rather your kid bug you all day or your kid sit in front of the television be quiet?

No I would never use my TV as a babysitter, granted I am a new parent. The way I see it is, if someone is mature enough to have a child then they should take responsiblity for the child. Everyone needs a little peace and quiet now and again, but the TV is not the answer. Give them an educational toy or give them a game to play.

I don't mean this as an offense to anyone, it is only a personal opinion.
  • [quote]Originally posted by unidentified32@Feb 28 2003, 05:53 PM
    [b] What has become of cartoons for children?
  • So in Japan DB/Z/GT has plenty of Blood, guts and Nudity. (whistles softly). I wouldn't mind seeing that version as I'm 18 and I think cartoons like that are great. I'm forever wathing CNX ast my friends house. In fact she says she'll start charging for the sky but I don't believe her since she's threatened before and she's never went through with it. However even if she did I'd pay just to see the cartoons. Oh and cartoons as in animated ones are most definately not educational. If you want something educational let them watch reruns of Sesame Street and that kinda thing (but most definately NOT Teletubbies as it is such a load of pi$h, I was forced to watch it whilst babysitting a couple of very young relatives). Oh well that's all I've got to say right now apart from cartoons are most definately not cr@p.
  • Well, there are lots of places online that you can watch some of those episodes. Heck, some of them even have subtitles. I won't post these sites for obvious reasons. Also, you could buy the original Japanese DVDs and use a Region X device to play them on your PS2 or purchase a Multi-Region DVD player. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Originally posted by unidentified32+Mar 1 2003, 11:03 AM-->QUOTE(unidentified32 @ Mar 1 2003, 11:03 AM)
    [quote] <!--QuoteBegin-RedKennypup2004</i>
    @Mar 1 2003, 06:32 AM
    would you rather your kid bug you all day or your kid sit in front of the television be quiet?

No I would never use my TV as a babysitter, granted I am a new parent. The way I see it is, if someone is mature enough to have a child then they should take responsiblity for the child. [/b][/quote]
    Please forgive my inability to put words together, I phrased my words wrong. I was not meaning for it to come across as though a parent should not pay attention to a child nor neglect their responsibilities. I was merely meaning that cartoons are somewhat able to provide a little bit of "peace and quiet" that you were speaking of every now and then.
  • Originally posted by Lucifer@Mar 3 2003, 07:38 AM
    ...anyone who thinks a cartoon should "teach" a lesson to kids might want to consider signing up for "Basic Parenting Skills" at thier local community college.

Why should I need a parenting class because I want my child to learn from his favorite shows? Excuse me for saying but, isn't it every parent's wish for their child/s to grow up to be a moral and respectable person? Not saying that TV has all to do with that, but most people use their tv as a babysitter. Tell me, how is the tv gonna teach them any thing if they always watch those empty cartoons all the time?
  • Well I dont even watch cartoons that often anymore, i mean yeah acasionally I will watch Spongebob I mean if there isnt anthing else on. And actually the simpsons is still really good, and should be.
    But I still watch southpark, for anime, im just waiting for march 7th, i think so toonami puts on there new episodes of dbz.....or mabey it was march 27th I for get.
  • Originally posted by unidentified32@Mar 5 2003, 12:01 AM
    Why should I need a parenting class because I want my child to learn from his favorite shows? Excuse me for saying but, isn't it every parent's wish for their child/s to grow up to be a moral and respectable person? Not saying that TV has all to do with that, but most people use their tv as a babysitter. Tell me, how is the tv gonna teach them any thing if they always watch those empty cartoons all the time?

First of all,
    if your kids watch TV all the time, then right there is an indicator that you might need parenting class.
    A child shouldn't find the TV more interesting then their parents (unless they are over 13 and getting attacked by killer bees is the preferable option to hanging out with your parents)

Having a wish that your kids should learn from TV is another.
    Why havn't you taught them what TV might have to offer?
    How is the TV gonna teach them anything else but what things are like on TV?
    You can't teach proper values and morals through TV if the parents doesn't.
    Kids do as their parents, they are the ones to teach them how to act.

Personally I do find it convinient to sometimes use the TV as a kids parkinglot instead of trying to cook dinner with a 1,5 year old climbing the stove screaming for attention.
  • Originally posted by manneman@Mar 5 2003, 08:16 PM
    A child shouldn't find the TV more interesting then their parents (unless they are over 13 and getting attacked by killer bees is the preferable option to hanging out with your parents)

Ain't that the truth? Just kidding, I still don't mind being around my parents, but I agree with ya manne, TV shouldn't be substituted for the morals a parent can impart. Oh, gotta run,

Later all,
    Darkraider
  • Originally posted by unidentified32@Mar 4 2003, 03:01 PM
    Why should I need a parenting class because I want my child to learn from his favorite shows? Excuse me for saying but, isn't it every parent's wish for their child/s to grow up to be a moral and respectable person?

Yes, it is every parents' wish for thier children to have morals and respect...but at one time that was the parents' job, not the TV's.

Allowing children to watch television is one thing, and I think it is a good escape for many children. But to think that by plopping them in front of the tv to let them learn what a parent should be teaching them is another.
  • That's not what I am saying here at all. I don't do that to my son, well how could I? He is only 5 monthes old. Anyhow, I was just saying that what little time children do spend in front of the tv should be both fun and educational. Because, isn't it a known fact that kids imatate what they see, whether it be their parents, a friend, or their favorite character on tv? No,I don't think that anyone should need parenting classes for only wanting their children's influences to be some what model.

Yes, I do think that in the future it will be a convinient thing for me to turn on the tube when I need to cook.
  • Well then you don't have to worry about your kid watching too much TV for yet about 1,5 years.

I'm sorry if I've come on a little strong, I was just reacting to what I felt about people not careing or spending time with their kids.
    Nothing personal against you unident32.

Most people would never agre to sell their children but they'll easaly park them infront a comeresal-spewing apparatus while working overtime to earn that extra buck so that they all can live happy ever after. And then they wonder why their kids turned out so strange. :huh: