Big Thinking Hat Topic
  • Maybe I'm hopefully optomistic (I can assure you that I am not!), but I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. We, as humans, can never know what that reason is, or we would BE God.

However, I have a theory about the tragedies, both large and small, of life.

--Have you ever looked beyond the kidnapping of a child to the system developed to help find missing children all over the USA?
    --Have you ever looked beyond the inconvenience of losing electricity to the outporing of kindness, charity, and community that resulted?
    --Have you ever looked beyond the hijacking of an airplane to the changes in security, cockpit design, and regulations that have resulted and saved countless lives since?
    --Have you ever looked past a tragedy that brought a nation to its knees, only to see it get back on its feet, dust itself off and band together like never before?

Then, perhaps you have seen God.

If you havent noticed by now, my theory is that something good, no matter how small it may seem to be, always results from human actions.

This may not seem like much to you, but it is so much for me. This one belief/theory proves to me, without a doubt, that God Exists, and that He is good.

As I have previously posted, I believe this God (or "force" if you will) is the Christian God, but I also believe that it has been and will be interpreted differently by people all over the world and throughout time. This is neither good nor evil, it just is.

• AMEN!!

Let's not all forget here, folks, we all are born with the one human right that no one can ever take away from us: The right to make choices. That is: Free Will.

Sometimes crap just happens, and that's all there is to that. Sometimes this crap happens because some mental deviant has chosen to make it happen. This is Earth we're talking about here, where Satan is the ruler, not God. God's domain is Heaven, and we're not there yet, so lots of horrible stuff still happens.

I happen to be one of those Christians (Madman) who, when good stuff happens, the first thing out of my mouth is "Thank you Lord"... and when bad stuff happens, the first thing out of my mouth (in the case of my car accident a year ago, for example)... the first thing out of my mouth was "THANK YOU LORD!!!"...... it could have been sooooooo much worse!!!!! Firstly, I thanked Him that I was of sound mind enough to pull the truck off the road and out of further harms' way, I thanked Him that I was also of sound body to be able to do so (no broken smooshed bones etc), I thanked Him that my truck was able to MOVE off the road..... I CHOSE to concentrate on these positive things. I have the power to do that!!!! I have to power to make those choices!!!!! Why!?!? Because He created me with them!!
    Like it or not, He created all of us with that power. He created us all with the free will to choose..... even to choose Him or not.

S2dio, considering the way you put what you said, I'll have to reiterate that I'm glad I don't have 'religion', I have GOD! :D
  • First off, before anything. I just have to say this Manne, I don't know why you would say something so heartless? Having a family's happiness stripped away just because she may, MAY have done something bad. Good reasons or not. Say I believe all this god stuff and he can make things happen, why strip away a family's happiness so early? Why couldn't He wait until later, I dunno, when she was older, and was closer to this so called good reason.

I've read this thread since the beginning of it, and haven't said anything, just reading everyone's opinions. First off, you have to admit, some of you do sound like the preachers on shows and all that. I'm sorry, but you do.
    I'm not exactly a Christian, in the general sense, but I'm also not completely an atheist (or something, I can't remember the right term). I believe in God, at some points, and then other points I think, why do I believe? I'm not like some of my friends, who go to church and read the bible every night, and all that. I just am one of those people that believe everyone can believe their own way. I believe that God exists, but why the he** should I worship him by going to church and reading the bible, whats it going to achieve, why can't I do it my own way? Why would he care if I went to the church an hour a week and read a bit of the bible a night, whats it gonna do for him. Oh, and just a little information, you do realize that the current bible that you all read has a lot of distorted information in it? Just some bland info.

If i were in a car crash, first thing I would have done was swore loudly, moving on, but I believe that, it was calmness that saves someone, not God. God may be almighty, but you've gotta wonder with all the things that go on in this universe, does he really care about the human race? Or does he care about another of the species, say a dog. Maybe he created humans to help other species, he doesn't care bout us, just what happens to other species. And how do you know that he cares?

As everyone says, we have Free Will to believe what we believe.
  • Originally posted by Crickettrules@Mar 13 2003, 07:35 AM
    God may be almighty, but you've gotta wonder with all the things that go on in this universe, does he really care about the human race?

A lot of people ask that same question, bro. Jesus Christ died for our sins. Our sins being minute or on a large scale so that we can be forgiven and have a place in heaven. Now, God gace us free will..."free" being the keyword due to the fact that we are on our own. God helping us avoid harm and so forth wouldnt be free will at all wouldnt it? We were born wiht a conscience and common sense...its just trying to find those things and act on them.

Now

I believe in God, but unlike many "die hard" or plain Christians, I believe that God is in one's heart and not confined into a concrete building. Of course the Church should be counted as a gathering to celebrate God..as it should be...but many people say "How can you be Christian if you dont goto Church?" Church doesnt make you a Christian....your heart makes you whatever you want to be.

I have read and heard information on the "Gospel according to Jesus". It has things that God said about the church and how it is unholy and becoming corrupt. Information also stated that the Roman Catholic Church tried to hide it for fear of losing its power in Society.

Im a God Fearing/Loving individual...not going to Church isnt going to make me a bad person.
  • Amen to that Gene, amen to that. I feel exactly the same way, you don't need to go to church to be a good person, as you said, God isn't confined in a concrete building. True also, it wouldn't be free will, if every time we made the wrong choice that we didn't get to learn from it. If every time we made a bad choice, God decided to spare us from harm, there would be nothing for us to learn from, and we would just go on believing that we were not doing anything wrong.

Later all,
    Darkraider
  • Since i know it's coming i'll address this before it comes up.

"Well, what are the little children learning from other's bad choices?"

Children that face abuse are innocent victims of someone's bad choice, yes, and no they aren't learning anything from that but they do have someone to turn to when it seems like there is no one else to turn to. God is the one who will be there at your whim, whenever you need him he's there.

Someone spoke of God not answering their prayer to be able to talk to a family member one last time before they passed away but did you ever let God into your heart? You want things done your way but you don't want to give anything in return, and that's not the way things work. God is always looking for ways into your heart but if you keep it closed all the time then there's no way for him to answer your prayers, because you're not giving him an avenue to do so.

"Well i thought he was omnipresent?"

One place God isn't everywhere are people's hearts, but not by his will but by people's own "free" will that he gave them. He doesn't force his way into your life so unless you ask him there then he'll stay away.

God doesn't say he'll protect you from death, he says he'll protect you from your enemies and he does that by giving you peace. Even if i were to die tomorrow, it would be ok because i don't fear it. I don't know what tomorrow will bring to me but I don't fear what will happen because God has given me the peace of mind that i need to live my life. Basically, if you build your life on the rock of God then it'll never topple though many storms may damage it, nothing will ever be unfixable.

Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I believe in God, BUT he was a WOMAN!!!

Compelling Evidence as follows:

1) He? Was able to feed a crowd at a moment's notice. Even when there was no food?

2) He? Kept trying to get a message across to a bunch of MEN, who just didn't get it!

3) And even when he(?) was dead, he had to get up because there was more work to do!
    Amen!
    :P :D

Just thought I'd throw some humour in, please, I really don't wish to offend.
    It was not my intention!
  • Heh, heh....You could never offend us Bid. If one can't laugh then one can't truly live.....heh, heh.
  • Originally posted by madhtr@Mar 13 2003, 06:46 PM
    [b]Children that face abuse are innocent victims of someone's bad choice, yes, and no they aren't learning anything from that but they do have someone to turn to when it seems like there is no one else to turn to. God is the one who will be there at your whim, whenever you need him he's there. [/b]

Well then I hope that 'God' is in every abused child's heart so that he can reach down and grab that fist before it slams into the next kids face.

Someone spoke of God not answering their prayer to be able to talk to a family member one last time before they passed away but did you ever let God into your heart? You want things done your way but you don't want to give anything in return, and that's not the way things work. God is always looking for ways into your heart but if you keep it closed all the time then there's no way for him to answer your prayers, because you're not giving him an avenue to do so.[/b]

I thought that prayer was opening my heart to him, that was not the first time I prayed to him. I guess I was wrong. <_<<br />
    Is 'God' really any different in the fact that he wants things done his way and not give anything in return?

What I mean by this is the fact that he wants everyone to follow his rules, his teachings and not offer any help 'down' here. He wants everyone to look up to him and worship him and for what? To maybe go to heaven someday?

I haven't seen him do too much nowadays.
  • Rex, asking God for something isn't the same as offering for him to come into your heart. If you truly had wanted him to help you then you'd have asked before you needed something from him. You can fool yourself into thinking differently but God knows your heart and he knows what your true intentions are, he doesn't have to be anywhere near you to know that. Basically Earth is the only hell that someone who knows God personally has to live through(notice the lack of the use of a religion).

As it's been said, free will has been given to all so God won't stop anything from happening on Earth, regardless of how much it hurts his people or how badly everyone feels about it. Free will means that what happens is all based on decision made through life by somweone. Choices beget other decisions and so on and so forth.

I dislike all the bad things that happen in life just as much as the next person but you can't blame God for what happens on Earth, especially if you don't believe in him. If you don't believe in God then it must be your fault that bad things happen, right? Actually, it's an accumulation of everyone that has ever lived on Earth, that's what has caused all the death and destruction on Earth.

For everyone that does believe in God then we all know that it's truly the god of the Earth, Lucifer's(no, not the forumgoer) fault that anything bad happens. Death and destruction is his will and everyone is blinded by him to believe this.....only God can show you ther light.

Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.

P.S. No, i'm not blaming anything on anyone. My mistakes are my mistakes and i confess them. Do you?
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Mar 13 2003, 11:26 PM

Is 'God' really any different in the fact that he wants things done his way and not give anything in return?

What I mean by this is the fact that he wants everyone to follow his rules, his teachings and not offer any help 'down' here. He wants everyone to look up to him and worship him and for what? To maybe go to heaven someday?

I haven't seen him do too much nowadays.

But Rex, have you ever really looked at his "rules"? They are pretty common sense and arent asking for a whole lot. I mean cmon, dont kill anybody is one of his rules. Is it that hard to go by that? Im asking you in general and not the crazies in the world. Also, if you ever read the book of Revelation it says that if God has to come down here he is only making one trip...and that trip is taking everyone who followed his teachings wiht him to heaven. Now you can interpret that literally saying he will show up............or.......... you can say that something might happen that the human race goes. Nonetheless, if God has to come down here it wouldnt be for a reason that would stop killing....it would stop everything, bro.

I believe in Heaven...why you may ask? Well, i could be fooling myself or I could be right in saying that there is a place where souls dwell. Who's to say that we dont instantaneously wake up as the form of another human being born at the same time that we die and we take that form. Of course we lose all conscious of our former identity. I mean you keep on living....thats the idea...you dont just end. Or so id like to "believe" <- <b>keyword.
  • [quote]Originally posted by Bid@Mar 13 2003, 06:19 PM
    [b]
    Compelling Evidence as follows:

1) He? Was able to feed a crowd at a moment's notice. Even when there was no food?

2) He? Kept trying to get a message across to a bunch of MEN, who just didn't get it!

3) And even when he(?) was dead, he had to get up because there was more work to do!
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Mar 14 2003, 01:26 AM

If you see God as a heavanly being this makes no sence that he who is so good treats all his offsprings like redheaded stepchildren.

If you look at God and Christianity as a tool ofpower and controll to use to organize (make them come together in a church once a week) and moralise (since god is the greatest and he has givem the king his powers I guess the kings desitions to go to war can't be wrong) and generally keep people from complaining about their shitty lives, then you might start to see the good things about religion.

Christianity is a fascist -ism from the start, but now I belive that it mostly helps people in need of something that God and Jesus can be to them.

• Rex, asking God for something isn't the same as offering for him to come into your heart. If you truly had wanted him to help you then you'd have asked before you needed something from him.

Let me ask you this then, how many times have you asked for something before you wanted it or needed it?

I dislike all the bad things that happen in life just as much as the next person but you can't blame God for what happens on Earth, especially if you don't believe in him.

Well for all the people that were around for the 'flood' I guess they would just have to blame the weatherman.

But Rex, have you ever really looked at his "rules"? They are pretty common sense and arent asking for a whole lot.

Thou shalt not steal, is one of 'his rules'. So if my family is starving then I may not steal food for them to live?

Prayer is a regular relationship with God, talking regularly, about anything. Keeping Him in mind and in heart all the time, and 'fellowshipping' with Him. It's like the regular meeting time with your favourite buddy, the chance to let it all out, cry, laugh, be thankful, be sorry..... whatever.

If I want to talk to a buddy, I'll pick up the phone. At least he will acknowledge my existence by talking back and perhaps even doing me a favour.
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Mar 14 2003, 07:10 PM
    Let me ask you this then, how many times have you asked for something before you wanted it or needed it?

If I want to talk to a buddy, I'll pick up the phone. At least he will acknowledge my existence by talking back and perhaps even doing me a favour.

Uh, I think you misunderstood Mad on the first part Rex. I don't think he meant that you need to ask for something you need, or want, before you need it. What he meant was that you need to have a relationship with God, BEFORE you ask for something. You can't expect God to give you something, just because you all of a sudden decide that you need it, and that He can give it to you.

As for this buddy thing. Well, God will acknowledge you, if you have a relationship with Him, He'll talk back, you just need to know how to listen. I admit, I really don't know how to listen very well yet, but I do hear him speak. I find every time that I really try to listen to Him, I get a little better at it. And He'll do you all the favors you could ever need, just as long as your willing to try and do what He really wants you to do.

Later all,
    Darkraider
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Mar 14 2003, 04:10 PM

Ya just can't expect to only acknowledge someone's (anyone's, really) existence just when you want something and expect to get it. There has to be that relationship first. That's common sense.

God can be that buddy, and He can do a heck of a lot more for ya than spot ya a fiver for a pint!! :D :P
  • How exactly do you 'have a relationship with god'. What do you "talk" about? Sports? Relationships? You can't really have a, what you would call, a friend-friend relationship though can you? You can't say, pray and say, "hey god, wassup, wanna come and watch a movie with me, yeah, it's meant to be really great". So what type of a relationship can you have with him?

By the way, what God are you talking about? Cause i've been thinking (yes, a first, it hurts my brain) and there are so many so-called Gods out there. There is Allah, Muslim God, God, Christianity God, and many others. I know there are a fair few more then this but I just can't seem to remember them.
  • Originally posted by Crickettrules@Mar 16 2003, 12:38 AM
    How exactly do you 'have a relationship with god'. What do you "talk" about? Sports? Relationships? You can't really have a, what you would call, a friend-friend relationship though can you? You can't say, pray and say, "hey god, wassup, wanna come and watch a movie with me, yeah, it's meant to be really great". So what type of a relationship can you have with him?

Actually, that's exactly the way it can happen cricket. God(oh, it's the Christian God since you asked) doesn't ask us to change the way we are altogether. You don't have to use 'ye' and 'thee' and be all proper with him, he we talk to you normally(though not always in an audible voice per se). Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion