• Hey do u think u know the answer to a posted science question? Test your skills with other people's questions and my questions.
    Here's a easy one:
    What performs phostosynthes by sun light to make food. :rolleyes: B)
  • Right! Now Tonygillis, you can ask a question! B) :(
  • Here is an eazy one! What is it called when there is something mixed in with liquid and you can only see one substance?
  • Hm, I found it quite difficult to find the correct English word for it but I belive sulotion is what you're after.
  • Good job, your turn!
  • Thank you Tony, and that is green plants BTW ;)
    Love the thread, MM.

What is the origin of surface tension?

• The cohesive forces between water molecules are responsible for surface tension.
  • That's right.
    Give us a new one Gabe

• What is warmth and cold.
  • Fire demons & Jack Frost
  • Is it the sun? And then there are green house gasses!
  • Knowze you idiot.We all know that the Fire demons killed Jack Frost and then died away.

And for the other one, no.
  • Warmth and cold is the temerature! Is that right?
  • Let's see if I can remember this right.

Warmth/cold is the transportation of tempral energy from one body to an other.

Is tempral energy really an expression, maybe it's heat or just energy?
  • Oh, What is warmth & cold. For some reason, I was thinking what causes it.

It's the rate of molecular movement in an element/substance.
  • Yeah Knowse that's quite good have you done much science before as here's the meaning I was taught (it's a bit long and windy but I'm quoting from a science teacher soi what do you expect); temperature is the average kinetic energy [movement energy for all you non scientists out there] of the molecules in a substance (be it gas, liquid or solid) which can be transferred in 3 ways; convection (liquids and gases), conduction (solids) and radiation. I think that's right but its been a year since I last did Chemistry so I'm a bit fuzzy on it but I should remember most of it I hope.
  • Yes Knowze.Go ahead.
  • Yes Forger I think that may be correct, though when you said gas, liquid, or solid, that way, it occurs to be an error. If I'm right, I think it's, solid, liquid, then gas. It's that way because, because, oh, say you had an ice cube ( that would be a solid ), and you added heat to it and it melted ( That would be the liquid ), then you added more heat then before, and the liquid evaporates into gas in the air ( that would be the gas )!

I dunno if it's really right but, hey, I'm not even in the 9th grade yet! ;) B) But I remember hearing my teacher say that but, I wasn't listening! :(
  • Mastermind: You should pay more attention to what your teachers tell you. ;)

The state of wich a material is in have no perticular order.
    Say you start with gas and then COOL it. You would then get liquid followed by solid.

Forger did however forget to mention plasmatic! :D
  • Originally posted by manneman@Mar 10 2003, 09:24 PM
    [b]Forger did however forget to mention plasmatic! :D [/b]

Yes yes, super heated gas.

We all know how you love sciency stuff Manne.
  • Okay, heres I goes.
    Which part of the South American Three toed sloths body does its food go, to begin its digestive process?
  • You know Knowze, you really shouldn't be allowed to post a question, how should I know if this is another one of you jokes. :P
    I guess I could do some reaserch since I'm truely interested in sloths (that's right, sloths with an O and an H), but it would probably be in vaine.

Bwaahaa :lol:, I just thought of something. The Swedish word for finish is slut, what does that make you Gabe Hrm, sorry. maybe I'll stop trying to be clever while being really tierd

My Guess Is:
    Into the part wich holds The Mouth of the very sloth, commonly known as the head
  • Yep, like every other mammal, digestion starts in the mouth.
    It's one of thoes questions that are supposed to look hard, but turn out to be stupidly simple.

All I really know about the sloth, is that it's no good for eating, so I just stuck with logic.

Take it away Manne.
  • I read you like a centerfold pinuplady knowze! ;)

Allright, let's see who will be the first to this one.

Why oh why is the sky blue (at daytime that is)?

• Blue light gets scattered (spread) around much more than all the other colors from the sun, causing the sky to appear blue.(one of the first things I learned this year! That is only the short explanation though!

• And here I was thinking it was just the reflection of the sun's light on particles of stuff in the air. :blink: Shows ya what I know!! :unsure:
  • Daytime sky blue now?
  • My daytime sky grey now, cloudy. Ug.
  • Well done tony, and susan, you're not that way off in your thinking.

Tony, time to take the floor!
  • How many layers is the Earth made up of
  • 4.The crust, the mantle and the two cores (liquid and solid).
  • Good job, I guess you know your Science GN! Your turn! :)P.S. It's the inner and the outer core! But yes, one is solid and one is liquid!
  • What does this mean.

• Woman= Good home-cookin'!! :lol:
  • Originally posted by Susan B STAFF@Mar 13 2003, 06:37 PM

[b] W
    oman= Good home-cookin'!! :lol: [/b]

Not in my home it doesnt.
  • Does the W stand for energy?
  • Originally posted by manneman@Mar 13 2003, 09:13 PM
    [b]Does the W stand for energy? [/b]

No it doesnt but it stands for something with the same unit.
  • I was thinking Weight & Gravity, but I don't know where the H fits in.

• Weight=Gravity x Height?? :unsure:

(and, that's a real guess, not a wise-guy one)
  • You need a mass for that to work
  • Ill give this until monday before i cahnge the question so keep trying.
  • Originally posted by gabriel knight+Mar 14 2003, 04:34 AM-->QUOTE(gabriel knight @ Mar 14 2003, 04:34 AM)
    @Mar 13 2003, 09:13 PM
    [b]Does the W stand for energy? [/b]

No it doesnt but it stands for something with the same unit.[/b][/quote]
    Ok, so we have [ W ] = Joule

Let's see what we can make of that.

J = [ G ] * [ h ]

Shall we guess that h stands for Planck's constant?
    after some searching...
    h= 6.6262*10^-34 Js
    [ h ] = Js

Then [ G ] = s
    I can't think of any G that is an expression of time

Maybe G is weight = m*g
    [ G ]= kg*m/s^2

Yes, Joule = Nm = (kg*m/s^2)m

We get
    kg*m^2/s^2 = [ h ]*(kg*m/s^2)

That means that [ h ] = m, wich indicates that h is in fact height.

Errr, W is something much like energy
    h is height
    G is weight
    This is some strange potential energy formula prehaps but it doesn't really make much sence to me.
    Did you come up with it yourself Gabe or did you find it somewere?

I'm looking forward the revieling answer on monday, I guess :lol:
  • Its a formula for lifting work which can also be used to count potential energy.

W = work (J)
    G = weight (N)
    H = height (m)

And manne the floor is yours.
  • Looks like I better get my butt back to school quick, fast and in a hurry.
    I should have nailed that sucker down at first sight, well thankfully enough there is nothing like a good old unite analazys when in doubt. :lol:

My turn now.
    Energy has many forms, some of them harder to preserve then others. My question is:

How do you store mechanical energy?
  • Ooooh good question but I think I've got the answer. Mechanical energy is stored using springs and suchlike since mechanical energy as itself cannot be strored but the energy can be stored as something else i.e. the tension of a spring or something similar in the case of clockwork. Mind you this is only a guess, an educated guess mind you but still a guess :D
  • And still you managed to get it right. :lol:
    Keep that in mind folks. Always carry a spring in tension in your pocket, you never know when you might need a bit of extra energy.

The floor is yours Forger.
  • Alright here's an easy one for all you biologists out there. I'd like you to tell me what the structure of DNA is, that means it's general shape, what the subunit's are, how many types of subunit's there are, what the subunits are made of and lastly how do you tell the different subunit's apart. Now to you non-biologists this might seem like a pretty long and involved question but I'd bet that any half decent biologist could answer each part with a one-liner since all this is fairly basic stuff that I learned in higher biology 2 years back. Well what are you waiting for, get cracking although I'm not expecting too many folk to actually try and answer it because this place will be a favourite haunt for computer...lovers shall we say. :D
  • I'm more of a math/physics kind of guy but I do remember something about DNA (I think)

The appearence of it is like a twisted ladder (I belive you english speaking folks refer to it as a double helix).

Then, unfortunatly, the laungage barrier kicks in.
    What is a subunit?
    As far as I'm concerned DNA is made out of strings of fosfat (sorry phosphate) and sugar. Attached to these, and creating the steps of the ladder, are 4 kinds of nitrogene bases.
    Cytosin, Tymin, Guanin and Adenin. (Probably got an E after them in english!?!)

How to tell them appart I don't know. One pair is more resistant to heat I think.
  • Well it's close enough manne so I'll give you it. You were correct in that DNA is a double helixand you were correct about the sugar (the name for it is deoxyribose by the way) which has a phosphate attatched to it which can then join onto the sugar of another DNA base (that's the subunit by the way, the individual parts that make up the molecule. I was just trying to make you think and it obviously succeded) forming the backbone of the entire DNA molecule. Oh and the correct spelling is Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine and Thymine (and no I didn't take points off for the atrocious spelling :D ) and the way to tell them apart is that Adenine can only bond to Thymine (and vice versa) and Guanine can only bond to Cytosine (again it's also true the other way around). And since Manne was the first to come up with the correct answer he gets the floor. It's all yours Manneman.
  • Oh, I spelled in Swedish since I've learned it in Swedish ;)

Question: If a 1 kilo body of antimatter smashes into a 8 kilo body of matter, what mass survives and how much of it?

yea, that's a real brainbuster :lol:
  • Ummm, 7 kilos of matter.
  • Gabriel, you sly b***ard, how ever did you know the right answer :lol:
    Take it away.
  • When a materials electrical resistance reaches near zero in -200 C what is that material called.
  • It's called a superconducter. The earliest example is mercury which does become a superconducter around -200 degrees C. Although the are currently compounds which superconduct at around -50 degrees C which isnt all that far off being a decent temperature since the record is, I believe, -32 degrees C in Siberia Russia. That's so cold that if you put bare hand (or bare anywhere else) to bare metal and then pull your hand away then you'd leave the top layer of skin on the metal. Talk about major ouch. Oh and Manne if you did destroy a kilo of matter with a kilo of antimatter then you would produce enough energy to either make one heck of a huge crater or blow up the entire planet. Just wait a sec while I do the math. Lets see E=mc2 therefore E= 2 * 9*10^16 = 1.8*10^17 joules = 1.8*10^8 Terra joules which I'm guessing is more than enough energy to blow up the planet since in an ordinary nuclear reaction the energy released for a kilogram of Uranium is maybe measured in Mega joules (which is why they use even more than just one kilo of Uranium which isn't actually a very impressive amount since Uranium is about as heavy as lead so to make a decent sized block you'd need much more than just 1 kilo.) Well anyway I'd better stop rambling and let Gabriel tell me I'm right. :D
  • Forger, you are making more then an of ass this time around. The chill record where I live is around -41 C so I think that the Sibirans have a few degrees below that.
    Also energy isn't always distributed as a intant burst of explosives. Time is of ther essence as they say. ;)
  • Yes,yes,yes correct you are.

And Manne, we Finnish beat you at cold too.The chill record here is -46,5.MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
  • Well it's what I heard anyway so obviously there's always the possibility of me being wrong (which is actually a fairly common occurrence). Oh and by the way the instantaneous bit means in a very da**ed short period of time. So short, in fact, that to a human it appears instantaneous. So therefore it can be classed as instantaneous. Oh and with matter and antimatter the two annihalate each other in terms of time that are unrecordable. Oh sorry am I starting to lapse into 'Physics' again. Oh dear me I guess you'll just have to put up with it. Oh and how many people in the Forum actually (and truthfully) knew that matter/antimatter explosions were what set the big bang off??? I just got told that in my physics class (although truth be told I already knew from watching way too many episodes of Horizon. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing but it can have quite an impression on impressionable young minds. Dont you think. :D ). Oh and manne you may think that reactions of chemical nature take place over time and they do but the actual individual reactions are fairly instantaneous. Even in Physics and Biology the effect of something taking place over a lenghty period of time is little more than an illusion since energy is transferred at the speed of light in most cases. And in Biology what we see is a chain of much simpler and much faster reactions that are in themselves very fast. It is only when those reactions are chained together and when we think of them as one reaction that they seem to be slow.

Oh by the way I was asked a question by my crossword fanatic of a mother yesterday and for the life of me I couldn't tell her what it was. I'm hoping yous lot light be able to do better than me. Here it comes.

What is a measurement of radioactivity that is 3*10^10 decays per (I cant quite remember what the time frame is but I think it's per minute.) and the symbol is CI (don't know whether it's upper c and lower i or what but I think there's enough info to work on since it's likely to be Ci). Well anybody got any ideas. Especially you Manne as you seem to be the other science buff around here. I hope someone answers it cause my mum hates to leave a crossword unfinished.

P.S. Manne where exactly do you stay Antarctica? Cause I had heard that there and only there could temps go below -35 or so. Obviously I'm wrong since you aren't likely to stay THERE are you. Although now that I come to think of it I might be almost on the opposite side of the world. You might live in Canada or Greenland or someplace like that where it's almost as cold as the Arctic.
  • Originally posted by gabriel knight@Mar 24 2003, 05:04 PM
    And Manne, we Finnish beat you at cold too.The chill record here is -46,5.MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Cool B) :lol:

sigh, Seriously Forger, "no one want's to hear you stupid vietnam stories" Those of you who didn't get that it just PM someone who did

I live at the north pole, next doors to a jolly old beared fellow who ocationally dresses up in a red jumpsuit. I work as his reindeer mechanic.

Oh, and the unit you are looking for is curie.
  • Originally posted by gabriel knight@Mar 24 2003, 05:04 PM

Cool B) :lol:

sigh, Seriously Forger, "no one want's to hear you stupid vietnam stories" Those of you who didn't that it just PM someone who did

I live at the north pole, next doors to a jolly old beared fellow who ocationally dresses up in a red jumpsuit. I work as his reindeer mechanic.

Oh, and the unit you are looking for is curie.
  • Originally posted by Forger@Mar 24 2003, 12:13 PM
    P.S. Manne where exactly do you stay Antarctica? You might live in Canada or Greenland or someplace like that where it's almost as cold as the Arctic.

We are not the igloo capital of the world that so many think we are!

Today we had a high of 16`C! (60`F)
  • Wow -46.5 now that is darned cold. I wouldnt like to live there since I'm a bit cold blooded. I prefer the warmth. Oh and thanks for telling me the answer to that crossword question. Now my mom will leave me in peace :D and I can get on with things. Oh and I suppose that since Manne answered the question and it was my turn for a question he can have the floor. Oh look it seems to be a bit colder than usual. Must be all this talk of record colds. Hope you dont freeze out there Manne.
  • Oh, don't worry about me freezing. Some one decided to play a little joke on the weather and therefor we have now what is normally known as spring-weather, 2 months in advance.

A question, hm, I'm feeling a bit lazy so I think I just open my static mechanics book and choose a fairly easy one.

Determine the angle made by the vector V = -12i + 5j with the positive x-axis.
    Write the unit vector n in the direction of V.

• Mannedude, find someone else to do your math homework! I thought this was a science thread <_<
  • I guess your right TD, that question is a little off both science and trivia. How about I post another one,
    one that doesn't really require you to know anything exept how to do a google search!?!
    Nah, let's stick to some basic arithmetics but in the area of Chemistry this time around.

You got a bowl of water. The waters temperature is 60 celsius.The water weights 25 g and is cooled down to 50 celsius.
    How many calories are released?

The answer to the unanswerd question was Angle(x) =157.4 deg , n = - 0.923i + 0.385j ;)
  • sooo, this one will be probably off, but I'm gonna write myself through this. I'm taking a stab at this.

goes from 60-50
    weighs 25 grams, so therefore is 25 mL at 60 degrees celsius.
    So therefore, when cooling, I forget, I know heating, but cooling, I think it becomes denser. I don't know why that is relevant but still. I would say, probably 100 calories... or 250 calories, I don't know if that's right, but I'll go with 250 calories.
  • Ummm you're sorta right there. That's how many joules (250) are released but don't ask me what it is in calories as converting between joules and calories is beyond me.
  • Very good Cricket.
    1 calorie raises the temperature of one gram of water by 1 celsius is all you need to know.
    250 calories is released, go ahead and ask a new one. :)

Forger: 1 joule = 0.24 cal
  • I don't know how on earth I got that.

Ok, a question. This is a multiple one but is based on one equation. What is the speed of sound through steel, in metres/second? If you are in a tunnel 7.5 kilometres, i dunno, say westwards, and hit the steel with a hammer, how long would it take the sound to reach the end of the tunnel? The steel goes to the end of the tunnel.
  • About 1.25 seconds.
  • :lol: Are you in my girlfriends science class?

She told me yeasterday about the speed of sound through steel.
    I think it was roughly 5000 m/sec (wich would give us a time of 1,5 secondos to pass the 7,5 km)
  • Lol. That would be one big coincidence if it was. Except, well, the different nations and stuff ;)
    Yeah, you got it Manne. 1.5 seconds. I'm trying to think of something to say to make this post more worthwhile, but I can't. So over to you.
  • Damn, I see where I went wrong. I used 5720 instead of 5270.

Now I'm going to have to find someone to blame.

I know.

This is a science thread, not a maths one. Waaaaaaahhh, it's not fair *jumps up & down as harshly as possible*. I wanna cookie, 'cos I'm hungry NOW.

...Ahem :unsure: , I, er, mean, congrats Manne, well done.
  • He he, :P phrrrrrth Knowze is stupid :lol:

Cricket: You could always write a small article on the subject: Oh how I admire the wisdom of manneman. Or somethings similar

New question.
    If a man stands with his two feet firmly planted in the soil of his farm some specific forces will be working on his body in order for it to stay were it is.

What forces might this be, and what relation do they have to each other?
  • I am going to take a wild stab here and say gravity and friction.

Gravity is pushing his feet into soil and friction is keeping them from sliding apart.

Like I said... a wild stab. :unsure:
  • Sorry mate, I don't think he's standing with his feet that wide apart, and even if he was there is still other forces more important.

Gravity is of course right.
  • Let's se Gravity will be pulling him down towards the earth but at the same time the Earth is pushing up on him with an equal and opposite force thus striking a balance between the two which means that he doesn't move. Guess I took in my physics better than I thought. Oh and both forces are 10 metres per second per second. I can't remember if the 2nd force has an actual name but the first one is definately gravity.
  • You are rigth Forger, there must be a force in the opposite direction of grvity or else the guy would sink through the ground.
    I'm taught that it's call the normal force but I can't find if that's the english name for it.
    The floor belongs to Forger.

Oh, and 10 meter per second per second adds up to just 10 meters if you think about it, I think you ment 10 meters per second squared wich is and acceleration, not a force. Forces are in Newton.
  • Heh just noticed that I had the floor. Anyway here's a little question that you could say is sort of physicsy. Define, loosley, the nature of a black hole. Now I'm looking for laymans terms here since most of the people aren't scientists. This means give me a loose description of what a black hole is formed from, how it is formed aand then what it does. Well the last part should be easy enough.
  • What kind of queston is that?
    A black hole is belived to be a high density area in space capabel of attract even light due to its great mass.
    A black hole is belived to be formed by all sorts of things, but if you're asking on how it is created I think I remember hearing some thing about dead stars... ;)
  • Define, loosley, the nature of a black hole[/b]

• Hey Gid nice answer I was in the mood for a good joke anyway but Manne's answer is closer (as usual) so he gets the floor. A black hole is formed from a star that was once really, really REALLY big even for a sun so that when they die they can't go supernova and they just collapse in on themselves. And yes a black hole is a super-dense (and no Gid I don't mean thick like you) spatial singularity (that basically means a teaspoon of the stuff a black hole's made of would weigh several TONS) which has gravity so strong that if even light gets too close it can't escape. That critical distance is what's known as the EVENT HORIZON. I only really knew all that cause I watched Steven Hawkings on TV last year and he was talking about black holes.
  • I doubt that mr Hawking spoke of anything at all on TV, with the ALS and all.

What do you do when you vulcanize rubber?
  • You get shoe soles (Goodyear Soles)
  • Vulcanize rubber?
    Lemme take a stab at this one.
    Would it be when you 'burn' rubber so that it is tougher?
    I'm not too sure about this one, so im just taking a stab at it.
  • Ok, this one's gone long enough now and even though we got two answers I don't belive that any of the postees have a qlue on what the answer is. So for the greater good of educating the masses I will try to break it down for you.

Rubber is basically a bunch of polymeric strands.
    When you work the rubber, twist it or punch it or whatever, these strands get mixed up, or disorientated and the lump of rubber get's a new shape.
    Feel free to try on a piece of gum.
    To keep the rubber from reshaping (you don't want your tires to go all banana shaped) you vulcanize it and basically what you do then is that you connect the polymeric strands through links of sulfur so that the molecules retain their orientetion when streched.

Simple as that. Now you know that for the next time someone asks you.

If anyone feel like taking it over, the floor is open.
  • I had no clue what it was. I don't agree... i don't think that was simple.

I may as well write a question, an easy one. What is the definition of refraction?
  • refraction: retardation, and--in the general case-- redirection, of a wavefront passing through a boundary between two dissimilar media or a medium having a refractive index that is a continuous function of position. :2cool: :tired:
  • Yeah, thats pretty much it. Over to you Exiled.
  • Does anyone mind if I revive this topic? Because it has been a month since there has been any replies so do you mind if I ask a question?

Well, anyway, here's my question.
    What is the formula for magnification on an object lying on the principal axis near a concave mirror?
    *Hint= There is more than one answer