Revolutionaries Of Music
  • Who do you think have made music the way it is? Who do you think are the people that have revolutionised musical genres? Are there such people? Who are the people that make great music, Underground artists or mainstreamers (I know this occurs more towards hip-hop/rap anyway)? Who are people who have 'shed light' on genres?

(I'll mainly be talking about rap/hip-hop because I know a lot more about it than other genres...in fact, thats probably all I will be able to talk about)

I personally think that there are a lot of artists out there who have revolutionised genres. For example, Tupac Shakur (aka 2Pac, aka Makaveli) I think has made hip-hop what it is. He had a huge range of topics he rapped about, he rapped with a lot of passion (listen to Changes, Dear Mama and Life Goes On). He gave hip-hop/rap some more exposure than it was previously getting. Also, Eminem has given rap a lot more exposure as well. Both of these artists have made their genre more widely available to people, and exposing their genre to people.
    Kurt Cobain as well I think had made a great impact in his musical genre.

Underground artists that I have heard seem to be very good, but they don't get the exposure or other stuff they need to become mainstream. Some great underground artists have become close to mainstream but is still not getting much exposure (Talib Kweli, Mos Def). But there are also great mainstream artists, but also there are very bad mainstream artists. Also, styles seem to change when going from underground to mainstream (50 Cent) because they want to get some more exposure.

There are a lot of underground artists that are a great example for what rap/hip-hop is, but they are not able to show their talents. Instead, there are average people showing their talents. Not saying all mainstream artists are bad and all undergrounders are good, far from it. But some artists don't really deserve some of the exposure they get.

What about your thoughts? Your views?
  • I don't keep up with music by any means. Pretty much whatever is on the radio is what I am listening to. If a song really catches my eye... or ear in this cas I will buy the CD but happens very rarely.

I would like to know what music genre Kid Rock performs, not really rap, not really new rock. Any ideas? I would say that he has certainly revolutionized a genre if he can be classed in a typical one at all.

But before Kid Rock we had (or still have, I don't know) The Beastie Boys, they were around long before Kid Rock got his breakthrough. They would be classed in the same genre as Kid Rock, whatever that genre is.

On a little side note here, one band that I would like to see come back is Van Halen. There last album was a complete disaster. With all the lawsuits going on right now and with Eddie drinking again, I doubt that this will happen anytime soon. :(
  • I think Kid Rock has sort of a hybrid thing going. You know, mixing rap and rock. I'm not completely sure about that though, but I'm pretty sure Kid Rock would be classified as a hybrid.
  • Lars Ulrich. Without him putting his advert up, there wouldnt be a METALLICA nuff' sai
  • IMO, the biggest musical revolution was/is punk rock. I don't think that most of the members here can recall what music had become in the mid 70s. The revolutionary spirit of the 60s had died (along with much of the talent) and had been replaced with corporate agendas and sub-par musical output from rich, boring, addicted "stars". Punk rock came along and shook it all up. Ask Pete Townshend what happened to him, look what it did for the Rolling Stones. Also, it created a "new" type of music, which opened the door for the new waves which were still a few years off (rap, grunge, techno, industrial, etc.) Without punk rock, rock and roll would have died, and it wouldn't have made a pretty corpse. :shy:

To pick the most relevant revolutionaries, I think it would have to be shared. I think Malcolm McLaren/ Johnny Rotten are both due credit. McLaren(sp?) got the ball rolling, but I believe it was Rotten's idea to use rock and roll as a weapon against itself*. Make way for the new regime over the corpse of the old, pure nihilist ideals that unfortunately didn't succeed, but paved the way for a new influx of thought and talent which is rock and roll as we now know it

* I could be wrong
  • Ok, Kid rock , is a homo-sexual, and yes, Punk/rock was revolutionary, The Clash!!!!!!!! jeez, ever watched high fidelity, those guys were totally right, and your peoples music is bad, and anyone I mean anyone who tells me that Rap is in any way revolutionary, they are more mentally challenged than forest gump was. The Doors, Elvis, and The Clash, all bands, or singers that revolutionized music!!! :punk: Come talk to me or my buddy Hoopz when you find some good music.
  • Okay then.
    First off, I did not say that rap/hip-hop was revolutionary...although I believe it is. But that's just me.
    Second, I personally am not caring if you think my music is bad, because I like it. And that's all that matters. If I cared what other people thought about my music, I wouldn't listen to it.
    Thirdly, making fun of people because of their music is just idiotic. I mean, come on. Its like saying your mentally challenged, because you like Punk. I wouldn't say that...cause, its incorrect.
    Fourthly, I have found good music. Just because you don't like it does not make it not good.
  • Originally posted by Da_Pusher@Jul 7 2003, 05:11 AM
    Ok, Kid rock , is a homo-sexual, and yes, Punk/rock was revolutionary, The Clash!!!!!!!! jeez, ever watched high fidelity, those guys were totally right, and your peoples music is bad, and anyone I mean anyone who tells me that Rap is in any way revolutionary, they are more mentally challenged than forest gump was. The Doors, Elvis, and The Clash, all bands, or singers that revolutionized music!!! :punk: Come talk to me or my buddy Hoopz when you find some good music.

And you come talk to me when you find some intelligence

The biggest revolutionaries of music were the bards of the middle ages that created an interest for music with the common people.
  • Originally posted by Da_Pusher@Jul 6 2003, 10:11 PM
    ...and anyone I mean anyone who tells me that Rap is in any way revolutionary, they are more mentally challenged than forest gump was.

How is rap not revolutionary?

What was like it before it was here?

Do you even know what revolutionary means?
  • In modern terms, rap and rap
  • Originally posted by Rex77+Jul 7 2003, 06:29 PM-->QUOTE(Rex77 @ Jul 7 2003, 06:29 PM)
    [quote] <!--QuoteBegin-Da_Pusher</i>
    @Jul 6 2003, 10:11 PM
    ...and anyone I mean anyone who tells me that Rap is in any way revolutionary, they are more mentally challenged than forest gump was.

How is rap not revolutionary?

What was like it before it was here?

Do you even know what revolutionary means? [/b][/quote]
    Rap isnt singing, its not revolutionary in the music sense cause it nothin to do with music, Rap is just talking fast, and it has no real meaning except to talk about "Yo Momma" and My Momma. You say you want to kn ow what it was like before rap, it was better, so much better in fact, that when i watch T.v shows that have some of the greatest actors of all time handing awards to no talent hacks like rappers, I personally want to vomit in spite, if you want to know what it was like before rap, go out to the store and buy an Eric Clapton CD. plus rap has been associated with Killing, Rape, and every other type of evil act that i can think of, there may be very, very few exceptions to this rule, but I will say again, Rap is not music.

And Gabriel, That was a good point, Bards were revolutionary, and I tip my hat to you sir. :notworthy:
  • Originally posted by Da_Pusher@Jul 7 2003, 11:28 PM
    plus rap has been associated with Killing, Rape, and every other type of evil act that i can think of

Rock 'n' roll, as well as heavy metal (in later years) was associated with the devil, devil worshipping, and everything that was bad and wrong in 'society' (at the time and in some circles, still is).

Anything 'different' is always a convenient scapegoat for all of the world's ills.

If rap is 'bad' in societal terms - Elvis was the 'antichrist' at one point in history for leading people astray and responsible for 'evil' influence on youngsters.

Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe not.

I thought Elvis was a revolutionary, not the devil in your opinion and i won't even comment on what 'conservative' society thought about the influence of the Sex Pistols :o

Make your mind up, or maybe you didn't stop to think about that particular angle.......................

:rolleyes:
  • Originally posted by Steve F STAFF+Jul 7 2003, 07:04 PM-->QUOTE(Steve F STAFF @ Jul 7 2003, 07:04 PM)
    [quote] <!--QuoteBegin-Da_Pusher</i>
    @Jul 7 2003, 11:28 PM
    plus rap has been associated with Killing, Rape, and every other type of evil act that i can think of

Rock 'n' roll, as well as heavy metal (in later years) was associated with the devil, devil worshipping, and everything that was bad and wrong in 'society' (at the time and in some circles, still is).

Anything 'different' is always a convenient scapegoat for all of the world's ills.

If rap is 'bad' in societal terms - Elvis was the 'antichrist' at one point in history for leading people astray and responsible for 'evil' influence on youngsters.

Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe not.

I thought Elvis was a revolutionary, not the devil in your opinion and i won't even comment on what 'conservative' society thought about the influence of the Sex Pistols :o

Make your mind up, or maybe you didn't stop to think about that particular angle.......................

:rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    Thank you Steve, that about sums it up.
    ----------------------
    There are lots of songs out there that have no meaning, just put in anything by Miss Spears. Nice to look at but that may be just about it.

You say that rap isn't singing that it is just talking real fast. Well some could argue that heavy metal isn't singing but just yelling and screaming. :punk:
  • First off, I love defending rap cause the people that try to attack it don't know s :swear: .
    Okay, now, as you are Pusher, now I am. I'm gonna generalize. Rap is talking, Punk is people whining or yelling, Metal is people yelling, Country is putting people to sleep (jokes), Pop is people talking about nothing.
    Well, thats done, and I feel better. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, don't generalise, it's stupid. Well, except for Pop, you can do whatever you want to that ;) .
    Well, I think Steve and Rex pretty much said what I wanted to say.
  • Yeh, didnt the Sugarhill Gang do the first ever rap song ever something like 30 years ago?

Anddid anyone mention Michael Jackson?