• 30 Things You Never Knew About Coca Cola

The Coca-Cola name in China was first read as kekoukela, meaning bite the wax tadpole or female horse stuffed with wax, depending on the dialect. Coke then researched 40,000 characters to find a phonetic equivalent kokou kole, translating to happiness in the mouth.

Coke can also be used to relieve the sting from jellyfish. All you have to do is pour the Coke over the sting.

If you have barbeque leftovers, put them in a pan and pour in a can of coke then reheat in the oven. The meat stays extra tender without ruining the grill flavor.

Diarrhoea? Take a 2ltr bottle of coke, leave to go flat and settle to room temperature, then drink 1 glass every couple of hours. Ingredients in coke settle peptic acids (hence the rival's name, Pepsi).

Chicken beked in Coca Cola is tender, tasty and falls off the bone easily. Try it.

If you put a boiled egg into Coke, the acids will dissolve the shell and it will peel away easily.

On holiday, applying Coke instead of a tanning lotion will give you a deep golden tan in no time. Although it doesn't have UV filters, it can prevent burning.

If you're tiling and want to clean away grout, splash a can of Coca Cola around. Wipe it away and your grout will be fresh and as white as can be.

Fill your watering can with Coke and sprinkle on your lawn once a month for a deep lush grass all year round.

Fresh ginger boiled in Coca Cola and drank while warm is a great cure for cold symptoms.

Hot Coca Cola before bed will ease congestion in the chest.

Morning sickness can be sorted with a spoonfull of flat Coke every half hour.

Coke is also great at cleaning driveways, getting rid of oil and (eek!) blood with a minimum of fuss.

Add a can of Coke to your compost pile for quicker decomposition.

Rats cannot belch, but they love Coca Cola and will drink large quantities of it only to explode. Yup, it's true and it's a cheap and effective way to keep rats away! If you have rat problems, leave a bowl of fizzy Coke out for them.

A can of tepid Coca Cola sprayed onto the windscreen will wash away bugs and flies quickly and cleanly.

Coke contains phosphoric and carbonic acid and will dissolve an iron nail in about 4 days.

To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers, rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of tin foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy clothes and add your usual liquid/softener. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains and wine stains.

Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet. Let the real thing sit for one hour, then flush clean. Hey presto, pristine porcelain!

Pour Coke down your drain once a month to keep it from clogging.

REMEMBER! Coke may sound scary after you read this, but it does you no harm (some docs even claim it's good for you!) and tastes great. In fact, Some people claim that they DON'T like Coke! Weird? They are called outcasts :shy:

Spike out :fight:

• I've also heard that pouring a can or two over a car engine can clean it up nicely!!

It sure does sound like, stuff that can rust a nail in just a few days can't be good for the human body, but I guess everything in moderation.....

I'm gonna try a few of these hints, by the way, thanks!
    :peace:
  • At least Coke has some uses. Anything that doesn't involve drinking the putrid brew is a good thing in my book, the one I wrote last week, it's entitled "L
  • Originally posted by Spike666@Aug 1 2003, 11:45 PM
    Coke can also be used to relieve the sting from jellyfish. All you have to do is pour the Coke over the sting.

I've heard the same about human urine. Makes ya think, don't it?

I've heard that Coca-Cola also makes a first-rate marinade for beef, as well as a prime ham-glaze.

Around my house, the dreaded red cans are verboten. Pepsi fills my 'fridge.
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall+Aug 4 2003, 12:13 PM-->QUOTE(WreckinBall @ Aug 4 2003, 12:13 PM)
    [quote]<!--QuoteBegin-Spike666</i>
    @Aug 1 2003, 11:45 PM

I've heard the same about human urine. Makes ya think, don't it?

I've heard that Coca-Cola also makes a first-rate marinade for beef, as well as a prime ham-glaze.

Around my house, the dreaded red cans are verboten. Pepsi fills my 'fridge.[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it makes me think! It makes me think "Someone got stung on the foot by one, it scared the p!ss out of them, and when the liquid flowed down his/her leg, it hit the sting spot and he/she was relieved enough to overcome the embarassment to spread the word!!" hahahahhaaa!!

The only caffeinated beverage you'll find in my fridge is The Blue Can as well, but that should be good for a marinade too, eh? Will have to try that next time I've got some steaks ready to go! :peace:
  • You are all mistaken.The only drinkable beverage is Hartwall Omena Limonaadi.
    Chicken baked in Coca Cola is tender, tasty and falls off the bone easily. Try it.

As an avid Bar B Que- er... I can attest to this. Normally called beer can chicken but I've done it with coke and pepsi too.

Sit a chicken on an open can and BBQ with covered indirect heat for about 1 1/2 hrs (a dry rub on the outside makes it better!). Once the leg or wing moves easily and juices run clear... it's done!

Plus my daughter cracks up when they just sit there like they're dancing.
  • I'm sorry to say this but

Coca cola is the best!!

Pepsi is the worst tasting coke inthe world!

Enjoy the real thing!! :fight: I'll fight you for it :fight:

Pepsi = :stink:
    Rats cannot belch, but they love Coca Cola and will drink large quantities of it only to explode. Yup, it's true and it's a cheap and effective way to keep rats away! If you have rat problems, leave a bowl of fizzy Coke out for them.

In fact, do you know anybody who DOESN'T like Coke? :drool:

Two things.

1) If a rat explodes from Coke, then you have to clean up the leftovers in the morning...and I for one, am not partial to picking up rat guts.

2) Who doesn't like Coke? Congrats to you Spike, you have found someone who doesn't like Coke. I can drink other Coke products, but Coke's taste is not one I'm fond of.
  • Ok I will edit the first post for the chosen few who don't like coc-cola. Now will everyone just get some coco-cola and rat. See if it really works!! :cunning:

Peace :peace:
  • well i love coca-cola and my mom is going to try the meat thing with pepsi dose it make a diffrence ?oh and coke :punk: ROCKS :punk: all hail it :notworthy:
  • My favorite is if you have had a nice 14oz steak done medium-raw & your finding it hard to settle on your tum-tum then drink at least 1ltr of ice-cold fizzy coke to help to dissolve the meat faster. Makes you wonder what it's doing to your insides if the meat goes away that fast.

I used to put old coins in coke for a day & they would be nice new ones.

Coke can dissolve brass. A brass screw (real solid brass, not electroplated ones) can fully dissolve in 15-20 days if you change the coke every 4 hours.

Coke in a pressure air bomb can burn like acid when a person is near the impact.

If you think coke is evil just think about Iron-Bru. The colouring & 1 other ingreident in the late 70's was also used in a certain chemical warfare weapon. That is totaly true

• Tiff,
    Did you know that, in the 1920's & '30s , radioactive materials (such as thorium & radium) were used in common household products, such as toothpaste, skin creams, laxatives, contraceptives, soap & chocolate bars because it was assumed that anything as robust as radiation had to be beneficial.

And, it wasn't until 1995 that food canners in the US were baned from using lead solder and the cans, containing the lead solder, weren't taken off the shelf until 1996.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity and, more importantly, the power of human greed.
  • "Whoop-Whoop" that's the sound of the Facts Police.

As usual in these cases with "wow, I can't belive it but I will most definatly spread this info on to others"types of list and statements most of them are not true.

The scary thing is that even though it is not a task requiring alot of props or patience most people will belive that the many reports of Coke dissolving anything from iron to teeth without even conducting the experiment. If they did they would find that after a week nothing will have happened to either object. Reason: The acids in coke are far to lame to melt anything somewhat solid (with the exeption of suger and phosfor and stuff like that).

The part of coocking with coke is probably true to some extent. Why not ask a cook of some sort what the ingredients in a standard marinade is and then compare them to the ingreadients of coca-cola.

I don't know about the rats, but I find it hard to belive that a mammal witn the kind of intelligence of a rat would in fact drink so much that it exploded. Sounds like a myth to me.

Sceptically yours- manneman
  • Actually Manne I believe that you are the one who's wrong on this occasion. The acids in coke, while fairly dilute, are still enough to dissolve a piece of iron, i.e. a nail, if left for long enough which is actually not that long maybe a week since iron is fairly reactive with acids. Oh and as for what it does to your insides, absolutely zilch since the acid in your stomach is about pH 1 (extremely acidic) and coke would probably only be a 4 or 5 on the pH scale (only mildly acidic) so it doesn't really help digest foods that's only a fairy tale with no truth in the matter. Oh and while I like coke I much prefer Pepsi Max.
    Morning sickness can be sorted with a spoonfull of flat Coke every half hour.

I will definately be sure to test this one's truth out if I ever get married...much more...pregnant. :cunning:
  • Originally posted by Forger@Aug 26 2003, 04:47 PM
    Actually Manne I believe that you are the one who's wrong on this occasion. The acids in coke, while fairly dilute, are still enough to dissolve a piece of iron, i.e. a nail, if left for long enough which is actually not that long maybe a week since iron is fairly reactive with acids.

As I said, try it yourself at home and see what happens.

While you're at it put a nail in a glas of water next to the glas of coke and as weeks turn to months, watch wich nail is in the best condition...
  • Originally posted by manneman@Aug 26 2003, 02:54 PM
    [b]The part of coocking with coke is probably true to some extent. Why not ask a cook of some sort what the ingredients in a standard marinade is and then compare them to the ingreadients of coca-cola. [/b]

Did someone say cook.

I guess the acids in coke could have the same type of reaction to the meat as the vinegar (I use 2 types) in the marinade.Although I don't think using coke as a marinade is a good idea since it lacks the spices and has sugar in it.The last time I tried to sweeten my marinade with a pinch of sugar it went........badly.
  • Read this!

Loads of stuff about the brown fizz!

I used to loathe the stuff until a few months ago when I had a headache (no this is not a coke-cures-headaches story!). Was in a friend's car, needed something to take painkillers with and they only had diet lemon coke. Screwed up my nose and prepared myself for something awful and was really pleasantly surprised!

Have to say that now I love it! Especially the vanilla coke!
    But I prefer Pepsi Max out of all of them!

:woot: