One Of These Things...
  • Remember that old song...One of these things is not like the other - One of these things does not belong? Well, I thought maybe it might make an interesting game so let's give it a try!

List four items. One of them must not belong to the group. After guessing the answer, please explain why the item does not belong!

Example:
    Salamander - Turtle - Frog - Toad
    Answer:
    Turtle - A Turtle is not an amphibian
    -or-
    Example:
    Greg - Peter - Wally - Bobby
    Answer:
    Wally - The other three were sons on the Brady Bunch

You all get the idea? The regular rules apply :rules: Wait for a confirmation before posting your own list and all that jazz. Let's get this show on the road then!

Diet Coke - Mt. Dew - Sprite - Dr. Pepper
  • Mt. Dew, coca cola makes other three
  • KJB you are correct and very quick I might add! :clap:
    Take it away! :peace:
  • Thank You charger, this is going to be a great thread!!!
    Now on with the game.

walnut, hazelnut, peanut, almond.
  • Peanut.

The other three are actually nuts
  • almond, the other three have the word nut in them.
  • KG is right, I do believe, but I might add that the actual big difference is that the peanut is grown in the ground, whereas, the others are grown in trees.

(PM me if for some reason I need to post a question, I tend to forget)
  • Although all three answers are very good Knowze got the one that I was looking for.

Take it away Knowze.
  • Thanks KJB,

Mum, Purple, Grey, Colour.

That's the question by the way, and not some statement from a disturbed child.
  • Grey. No "U"
  • I'll guess Purple because the other three can be spelled differently but mean the same thing? (Mom - Gray - Color)

• I'm gonna guess "Mum" because all the other ones have to do with colour (even the word "colour"! tee hee) and "Mum" doesn't.
  • My guess is that Charger came up with the answer I was after, So then i guess it's your go Charger.

Take it away.
  • Thank you KG!

Maryland - Alabama - Georgia - Florida
  • Maryland.

1st reason- It doesn't end in an "uh" sound.

2nd reason- all other states are on the south coast of the US and Maryland is up near the top of the East Coast.
  • You sure Dr. Pepper is made by Coca-Cola? Where i work at we have only pepsi products... and yet we have dr pepper. Besides... Mr.Pibb is made by Coca-cola. which is the same thing as dr. pepper... hence.. competitor.

yup i was just informed by someone :

Dr. Pepper is made by "Dr. Pepper/Seven Up, Inc."

Readem and weep : http://www.dpsu.com/

uhh... did i just break the game?
  • He's right Pepsi does make Dr. Pepper.
  • No, Pepsi doesn't make Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper/Seven Up, Inc. makes Dr. Pepper.

Pepsi products can be viewed here

Anyway, that was the first question of the game so no point getting all worked up over it but Junk is right on this one. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.

P.S. The last guess was by Red so Charger, check Red's answer for accuracy.
  • Well, I seemed to have sparked a debate! How wonderful! :clap:

According to Coca-Cola's website, Dr. Pepper is a product of The Coca-Cola Company in over 160 countries outside of North America.

So, you all can decide for yourselves what's right and wrong, I was just trying to make a fun new game. ;)
    Remember, this isn't brain surgery! :P

And Red, your 2nd guess is on the right track, think US History! :peace:
  • the last three were part of the south during the Civil War and the first one was in the north.
  • GamerGuy that answer is close enough, pretty much what I was looking for.

Go ahead and give it a whirl. :D
  • I dont feel up to it right now, so ill leave the floor open. :unsure:
  • I'll give it a whirl, which one doesn't belong:

Black Widow, Daddy Long Leg, Tarantula, Brown Recluse, Wolf Spider?

Good luck guys. :peace:
  • I'm taking a round about guess here.

The Daddy Long Legs doesn't belong because all others are potentially dangerous if you are bitten.

• I'm not sure if the 'why' of it is that important, but I'll also say that the "daddy Longlegs" is the one that doesn't belong, but because it's not a spider, and all the rest are.
    :think:
    (they only have a one-part body, spiders have two parts to their bodies)
  • I'm gonna live on the edge and say Black Widow because all of the other spiders are brown and black widows are well... black. :wacko:
  • Susan the floor is yours, a Daddy Long Legs is not a true spider. It is actually a Harvestman. :peace:
  • Alright Suz, I guess you're not going to claim the floor on this one. :bash:
    And before you all start to boo and hiss - I PM'd her with fair warning. ;)

Arthur, Walker, Daschle, Agatha

Don't be mad Susan, you know I luv ya! :helpme:

• Not angry at all Dear, I got the PM and I scoured the area as much as my messed up computer would allow me to do, but I just coudn't figure out which thread needed my attention!! :cry: Guess I just need to break down and get some medical attention to this baby!

As for my guess....... wild and 'out there like Pluto', but I'm gonna say "Agatha"... as in Agatha Christie, name of a famous author, and..... the rest..... aren't!!???! hahahaha (told ya it was a wild guess!!) :think:
  • So sorry about your computer being messed up! I hate it when that happens! :doh:

As for your guess, it sounds like a valid answer if it weren't for Arthur Conan Doyle?! He's a famous author, isn't he Watson? :think: Sorry babe, not the answer I'm looking for? Please try again!

Hint - Spielberg
  • [quote]Originally posted by chargerfanchs@Jul 23 2003, 04:58 AM
    [b] Alright Suz, I guess you're not going to claim the floor on this one.
  • Ouch! That was quite an answer Lola!! :huh:

You obviously put a lot of thought into it and I wish I could say YES, you got it but......Bzzzzzztt. Oh, I'm sorry that is the incorrect buzzer! :lol: Very solid guess though!

Next hint - Tom Cruise/Colin Farrell

Okay, looks like no one saw this movie.....The answer was Walker- The other three were the names of the "pre-cogs" in the movie Minority Report.

The floor is open to anyone!
  • [quote]Originally posted by chargerfanchs@Aug 3 2003, 04:31 AM
    [b]Ouch! That was quite an answer Lola!! :huh:

You obviously put a lot of thought into it and I wish I could say YES, you got it but......Bzzzzzztt.
  • I'll go for the cheesy answer and guess Jessica because it doesn't end with the letter E?
  • Originally posted by chargerfanchs@Aug 22 2003, 01:31 AM
    I'll go for the cheesy answer and guess Jessica because it doesn't end with the letter E?

Good try Charger but no, nothing so easy or obvious!

Clue time: flowers

:disco:
  • Mmmmm, Ellie because the other are famous people with the surname Rose.
  • Originally posted by gabriel knight@Aug 23 2003, 07:51 PM
    Mmmmm, Ellie because the other are famous people with the surname Rose.

Well you got the right answer but for nowhere near the right reason!
    The reason is to do with flowers but not roses. Think more literally Gab!

• Perhaps it was Ellie, because she was the only one of the Clampetts who looked good in a dress? :woot:
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall@Aug 25 2003, 07:02 PM
    Perhaps it was Ellie, because she was the only one of the Clampetts who looked good in a dress? :woot:

I am not even going to dignify that with an answer Wreckin'!!

But I will, since this has gone on for a while, reveal the answer to my question!

Ellie is the odd one out because all of the others are strain of fuchsia. In fact there is also one called Elle!

The floor is open!
  • [quote]Originally posted by WreckinBall@Aug 25 2003, 11:02 AM
    [b]Perhaps it was Ellie, because she was the only one of the Clampetts who looked good in a dress?
  • Barbarian because the other ones are religious in some manner.

Edit; Another possibility could be druid since it's not a Diablo character.
  • Gabe... Let's say both answers are right but not for the reason I was looking for.

One of your answers is the answer I was looking for.

Continue in the Diablo mode of thought!
  • Druid because it's available only in the Lord of destruction add-on to Diablo.
  • You are correct sir...

The floor is yours... take it away
  • Hungary,Finland,Estonia,Latvia.
  • I'd probably say Maryland too.

Reason 1: Its the only 1 Ive ever heard of.

Reason 2: The others all end with the letter "a".

P.S I'm new around here so if im wrong then just cut me some slack. :pump:
  • Sorry about my last post, :doh: but as I said I'm new. But for the real last post, I think its Hungary because it also discribes they someone is feeling as well as a place.
  • Except that you don't feel Hungary, you feel hungry.

Anyway, no.
  • I'll also guess Hungary but for a different reason. Although strangely enough, reading this has made me hungry! :feedme:

The other three border the Baltic whereas Hungary is landlocked. I could be wrong....You know how Americans are regarding geography?! :unsure:
  • Estland A.K.A Estonia as you have written its name in its nations language where as the others you have put in there English names.
  • Good thought but no.That was an honest mistake.
  • Finland! They were the only country not to be under control of Communist Russia from 1940-1991? Although Hungry didn't get as harshly communised then the other 2 smaller nations.
  • Nope.And actually Estonia gained independence once in that timeline but got conquered again.
  • Obviously, you've got us all stumped Mr. Knight. :doh:
    Any chance you could give us a clue?
  • It has to do with the language.
  • I'm pretty sure this thread has been mutilated since I remember answering to this last question. Anyways, the answer is Hungaria, Estonia and Finland all belongs to the same branch on the language tree. (the Finno-Ugric).

I think I'll try to jump start this topic once again.
    Who can tell which of theese does not belong?

Dallas
    Weddigen
    Richthofen
    Collishaw

Good luck
  • Thanks for bringing this one back Manne!

I'll go for the obvious... Dallas does not belong. It is a city or a place. The other three are people?
    I know you wouldn't make it that simple, would you?
  • Sorry, that is not the correct answer.
    Please add another quarter and try again
  • Er how about something like, Dallas was a TV program, whereas the others were people in a TV Program? :blink:

• No, and the thing about this game is that three of the things are something whilst the fourth is not, not the other way around.

Come on now people, have we been indulging in a in-forum game for over a month without learning anything?
  • OK, I've googled and found a kind of relationship, which is probably wrong but here goes.

Weddigen (Otto) was a German U-boat commander during World War 1.
    Richthofen (Manfred von) aka the Red Baron was the famous German pilot in World War 1.
    Collishaw (Raymond) was an American pilot in World War 1.
    Only thing in regards to Dallas I can find is some American Professor called Dallas Willard.

So the first three are people who fought in World War 1 and the fourth person is some professor.
    That's the best I can do :crybaby:
    Please let it be right :notworthy:

• :D You are almost there. Just take a deep breath and a step backwards, review what you have found, do a search for a specific expression applicable for three of the characters and I am sure that you will see who is the odd one. That is if you don't come to your sences and realize that you pretty much tied two of them into a very specific cathegory already whilst one is defined in a completely different, yet related, cathegory and the last is yet undefined which may lead to some conclusions... :g:
  • I've found the connection!!!!! :59: :clap:

Weddigen (Otto) was a German U-boat commander during World War 1.
    Richthofen (Manfred von) aka the Red Baron was the famous German pilot in World War 1.
    Collishaw (Raymond) was an American pilot in World War 1.
    Dallas (Roderic) was an AUSTRALIAN PILOT during World War 1.

So the odd one out IS Weddigen as the other three all flew planes whereas he was in the water in a German U-boat.

If I'm wrong now I totally give up and will, in fact, NEVER respond to this thread EVER AGAIN!!!!!
    Too much pain :crybaby:
  • All except Weddingen were so calle "Flying Aces".
    Correct Jay.

The floor is yours
  • Right, here goes...

Which of the following is the odd one out/which three are connected and how?????

The year England won the Football (soccer) World Cup
    The year of the Battle of Hastings.
    The year of the Great Fire of London.
    The year the American Declaration of Independance was signed.

Good Luck people. It will take quite a bit of researching this one.
    I really tried hard to do one that took some time to research, but was also kinda interesting as well, hope I picked a good one :clap:

• 1966 FIFA World Cup Final - England Victory

1066 Battle of Hastings

1666 Great Fire of London

1776 American Declaration of Indepenance Signed

- Therefore making the Declaration of Independance the odd one out because the last two numbers in the date of the year are 76 and the other 3 are 66.
  • WOW, that was easier than I thought.
    Well done there Lethal.
    You know, if I could, I'd give you some sort of reward because it only took you like 2 hours IF THAT.
    Anyway, guess it's your turn, so go go go... :clap:
  • QUOTE(Jay290783 @ Jul 24 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]67231[/snapback]
    Well done there Lethal.
    ...it only took you like 2 hours IF THAT.
    [/b]

Knowing Lethal, it probably took him 2 minutes! :flex:
  • well I meant 2 hours before me posting and him posting. :blink:
  • QUOTE(chargerfanchs @ Jul 24 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]67238[/snapback]

Knowing Lethal, it probably took him 2 minutes! :flex:
    [/b]

Heh, actually Chris, youre right, it took me about 10 minutes to get the answer and post it!

Ok then, and away we go!
    What do three of these have in common, which is the odd one out and why!?!

Pink Floyd

Guns N' Roses

Judas Priest

and

Iced Earth

Just a clue... it might be something to do with song titles ;)
    Good Luck!

EDIT: I changed one of the bands because I thought there might be some confusion... now its a little easier.
  • Er stuff to do with like the planet and religion.

Guns 'n' Roses well that's like Roses as in flowers, the Earth,
    er Judas Priest, so like Priest as in religious teacher person,
    Iced Earth, well, Earth again like.
    Pink Floyd is on one out because that has nothing to do with the Earth or Religion

Am I right? :wacko:

Er, oops, just saw the clue. Just ignore my answer then. Me no good with music :crybaby:
  • Lol, yerp sorry you were wrong anyway. This is a difficult one people, might take some serious research.
  • Ok... heres a clue... it has nothing to do with song titles moo hahaha!

Notice I said it "might" have something to do with song titles with a wink? :tongue: lol, im tricky.

Its to do with the bands themselves.
  • Is it something to do with a venue where three of the four have played at, maybe? no?
    er what about something to do with three of them recording a record with the same person and the fourth has NEVER recorded a record with that person?

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know :wacko: :crybaby: :blink:
  • Nope, sorry Jay, not right but you came kinda close in a certain way... but not quite close enough...
  • I'm guessing that Red-headed Lead Singers is the answer
    I don't think the singer in Pink Floyd is a red head.
  • Pink Floyd is not a "Metal" band.
  • I bet Charger just got the answer correct. If not then I'll be VERY surprised because it sounds like it could very well be the answer Lethal is looking for. If it IS right then I'm gonna :crybaby: cause I wanted to be the one got the answer right :angry2:
  • QUOTE(chargerfanchs @ Jul 31 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]67477[/snapback]

Pink Floyd is not a "Metal" band.
    [/b]

Wow!

Your wrong... lol, sorry charger!
    Still not the answer that I am looking for, keep going you will get it eventually. Just for the record also, GnR are usually reffered to as a "rock" band... but yeah Judas Priest is NWOBMH (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) and Iced Earth are "Power Metal".

Keep on keeping on!
    Heres a clue... manne probably came the closest in his method...
  • QUOTE(Lethal @ Aug 1 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]67516[/snapback]
    Wow!
    Your wrong... lol, sorry charger![/b]

You mean that is not the answer you want, right?

I'll have you know I was listening to Pink Floyd before you were born, you whipper-snapper. :harhar:

How about Guns N Roses because the other three all had their lead singers leave the band at one time?
  • Right so it's something to do with the Lead Singers of each band/group/whatever
    AND
    what I said.

Now which one was right from me? Was it the Venue? Or was it the person who they did/didn't record with?

Please tell me which one I was close with then I (or probably someone else) will be able to FINALLY figure it all out.

GOD, the questions "What is the meaning of life?" seems so much easier to answer right now :blink:

• It was probably more close to the "person they did/ didnt record with" but still not really the same thing.

EDIT: Sorry charge, missed your other answer there... but nope, your wrong again! However, you are so close you could probably taste it...
  • LolaNicolina said:
    I am guessing they are people that have worked on films with Spielberg or written screenplays/books from which he has made his films?

Except Agatha which is a film about Agatha Christie, the writer.

But then again, one of the crew on Taken was Agatha Warren!

I do however, know that Alice Walker wrote The Color Purple and that Norm Daschle is a props master.
    Also that, Steven Arthur is a director & Andy Arthur is a composer...but I have a feeling I am making life just a bit too complicated for myself now!

:woot: :woot: :woot:

I know this is an old post but just had to add my 2 cents worth ( norm daschle is my wifes uncle )
  • That's allright L-L :D

It's always nice to see that someone is reading historic documents here on the forums. I know that when I first came here I read through most of the archives and got to know one or two people that way, without them knowing me.

And while I am posting in this thread, I'd like to declare it open to anyone who feels like posting a new quizz/riddle quizzle (what do we call them:confused:). Seeing how Rob is AWAL and adding his inability (or unwantingness) to give hints to his question I doubt it ever gets solved.

Have a nice day.
  • Chris S STAFF said:
    Remember that old song...One of these things is not like the other - One of these things does not belong? Well, I thought maybe it might make an interesting game so let's give it a try!

List four items. One of them must not belong to the group. After guessing the answer, please explain why the item does not belong!

Example:
    Salamander - Turtle - Frog - Toad
    Answer:
    Turtle - A Turtle is not an amphibian
    -or-
    Example:
    Greg - Peter - Wally - Bobby
    Answer:
    Wally - The other three were sons on the Brady Bunch

You all get the idea? The regular rules apply :rules: Wait for a confirmation before posting your own list and all that jazz. Let's get this show on the road then!

Diet Coke - Mt. Dew - Sprite - Dr. Pepper

Pepsi-Cola North America's carbonated soft drinks, including: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Twist, Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Sierra Mist, and Mug Root Beer account for nearly one-third of total soft drink sales in the United States.
  • loopy_luap said:
    Pepsi-Cola North America's carbonated soft drinks, including: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Twist, Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Sierra Mist, and Mug Root Beer account for nearly one-third of total soft drink sales in the United States.

So, what you're saying is, Mt. Dew is the odd man out because it's the only one made by the Pepsi Cola company, all the rest are made by the Coca Cola company, am I interpreting this correctly? :p If so, then I'd say ..... uumm.... the answer was already given on the first page... the second post even. heehee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion