Square's New Stuff
  • Has anybody gotten FFVII advent children? I think it was supposed to come out sometime around now. If you did get it, do you like it?

I was also wondering how KH2 is? I haven't had the time to go get it yet, but I will soon.
  • Just watched FFVII advent children. It was incredible. I highly recommend this to FF fans. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil the movie.
  • QUOTE(SpeedDemon @ Apr 29 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]61896[/snapback]

Just watched FFVII advent children. It was incredible. I highly recommend this to FF fans. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil the movie.
    [/b]

Surely Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children shows that Square dedicated themselves making the movie the best possible, but still, there is too much fanservice, or so I was told. Don't take fanservice for it's other meaning (for those who know anime), if you remember correctly Loz's mobile ringtone is considered as fanservice, as in the Battle Victory Theme.

Another points worth mentioning is the action present in the movie. Lots of fights with sweet moves and some comical situations from Reno and Rude. I think it lives up to it's name.

But still, the plot still remains to be completed. Maybe we will see FFVII's ending in Dirge Of Cerberus? Who knows.

Now Kingdom Hearts 2, Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII. Dragon Quest VIII has show that it lives to it's reputation and the art drawn by Akira Toriyama shows the same. I still need to get that game. Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy XII, probably Square-Enix's biggest hits of the year are anxiously awaited by fans. I am going to wait till May 28th to get my copy, I'm not going to take my chances not to buy it. FFXII has already shown that it's fighting system will be much like Vagrant Story's, but we'll have to wait to see if it will be welcomed by the fans.

As for me, it sure looks good. ;D
  • Baaah. I thought the cellphone ringtone was awesome, even if it was fanservice. The whole -project- was fanservice, it's just how they did it that peeved me.

Given, it was -awesome- to watch the fights with such nice CG graphics, but there just wasn't enough storyline to it. Then again, it takes hours and hours to play through an FF game, there's no way you could fit that much storyline into an hour or two. Eeeven so. Plot was scarce, action was heavy. Even so, WELL worth watching. The Tifa fight sceen was just bloody awesome.

Aaand, for anyone who hasn't seen it...stop reading my post!

SPOILER BELOW!11!11. >_>

The -main- gripe I had with Advent Children is the focus on Cloud and Tifa. Given, they're the main characters, but Cid, Yuffie, Barret, and crew might as well have not even been in the movie. The lot of them probably got five minutes of screentime COMBINED. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen more of the secondary characters -other- than Vincent. Given, I'm a Yuffie fanboy, but even so...woulda been nice.

Other than that? Loved the Turks bits. I've always been a big fan of Rude, so having so much of him in AC was just awesome. ^^

---

Anyway, that's all I've gotta babble on about!
  • I agree with you hippie. I too would have liked to see more of Barrett, Cid, Red XIII, and the others.

When is the projected release on FFXII?
  • QUOTE(Kentucky_Fried_Hippie @ May 1 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]62017[/snapback]

SPOILER BELOW!11!11. >_>

The -main- gripe I had with Advent Children is the focus on Cloud and Tifa. Given, they're the main characters, but Cid, Yuffie, Barret, and crew might as well have not even been in the movie. The lot of them probably got five minutes of screentime COMBINED. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen more of the secondary characters -other- than Vincent. Given, I'm a Yuffie fanboy, but even so...woulda been nice.

Other than that? Loved the Turks bits. I've always been a big fan of Rude, so having so much of him in AC was just awesome. ^^
    ---

Anyway, that's all I've gotta babble on about!

[/b]

That, I've got to agree, most of secondary characters had a real brief apperance in the movie, during that Bahamut Sin fight. but still, seeing that Vincent Valentine appeared much more than all of the others raises another question. Is he another main character?

Like, I pinpoint this question due to his former job before being in a coffin during the game. As you know he was a Turks before ending up in experiments that resulted in what he is now. And besides, he was involved with Lucrecia which is Sephiroth's Mother and he knew Hojo personnaly. Hence the previous question. Oh, and the trouble that we go to just to get him into the party.

QUOTE(SpeedDemon @ May 1 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]62034[/snapback]

I agree with you hippie. I too would have liked to see more of Barrett, Cid, Red XIII, and the others.

When is the projected release on FFXII?
    [/b]

I don't really know, But I guess it should be this summer.
  • The reasoning for Vincent receiving more on-screen time is that S-E wanted players to be accustomed to seeing him more often, since he is the main character in Dirge of Cerberus. The other characters are basically not needed anymore. You'll see them some, but not as much as these other characters.

As for release dates:

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - Officially Summer 2006 (August more than likely)

Final Fantasy XII - Officially Fall 2006 (October sounds about right)
  • That sounds right. But, Vincent already did draw much attention to the fans just for his "dark" appearance, having many fans along the world. Of course that this is what I think. ;x Maybe Square-Enix just wanted to give him a more important role in the series.

As for the release dates, seems quite good. Having Dirge Of Cerberus right this summer seem good. ;D I'd better start saving money.
  • Mad, are those going to be for the ps2? And one more thing, on the dvd they showed like two anime type movies of final fantasy 7. One is about the turks and the other is about zack, cloud, and sephiroth. Do you know anything about these?
  • QUOTE(SpeedDemon @ May 1 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]62052[/snapback]

Mad, are those going to be for the ps2? And one more thing, on the dvd they showed like two anime type movies of final fantasy 7. One is about the turks and the other is about zack, cloud, and sephiroth. Do you know anything about these?
    [/b]

As far as I know both Dirge Of Cerberus and Final Fantasy XII are PS2 Exclusive.

Erm, I only know the existence of one Anime OVA of Final Fantasy VII which is called Last Order: FFVII (This one is about the Nibelheim Reactor part, as you said, with Zack, Cloud and Seph). Dunno about the other one... Might just have to look into it.
  • I think the other one is called FFVII before crisis or something like that.
  • QUOTE(SpeedDemon @ May 1 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]62058[/snapback]

I think the other one is called FFVII before crisis or something like that.
    [/b]

Oh, You mean Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII. I always thought that one was supposed to be a mobile phone game, where the Turks were the main characters. I haven't heard anything about it ever since I ever first saw a screenshot of the game though. ;| But an Anime OVA? I gotta look into it then.

EDIT: I just checked it and it's a Mobile Phone Game. ;x
  • It kind of looked like a cell phone game, but it had some anime looking sequences as well.
  • A mobile phone game with anime cutscenes? Hmm. Seems promising. I'd better look more into it.
  • Yeah, DoC and FF12 are PS2 games.

Before Crisis is indeed a cellphone game starring the turks. It's actually a MMO cellphone game. Not sure if it'll be the same here, but in Japan, you could take a picture and then create materia out of the dominant color in the photo. It probably won't be out for a little while as phones in N.A. are not as powerful as they are in Japan. I'd say end of this year or early next year would be a good guess. Oh, also, you get to see Vincent from back when he was a Turk. I'll link to more news if you're itching for it.

The other trailer you saw is actually from the OVA - Last Order - however, the trailer is for the next game in the Compilation of FF7 series, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core for the PSP. It was announced last year, and all that is known is that it follows the story of Zack and that it'll be out this year. The Kingdom Hearts team is currently working on the game. I don't expect to see that game here until 2007, unless they plan a simultaneous release at the beginning of development.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, let me know ^_^ Oh, and here's the order in the timeline that these games take place:

FF7: Before Crisis - FF7: Crisis Core - FF7 - FF7: Advent Children - FF7: Dirge of Cerberus

Basically, the Crisis takes place during FF7. The Dirge of Cerberus is basically a sorrowful song that basically ends the series. P.S. DoC is apparently not a very good game, oh, and it's a third person shooter/FPS. But.... yeah.
  • QUOTE(madhtr @ May 2 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]62070[/snapback]

Basically, the Crisis takes place during FF7. The Dirge of Cerberus is basically a sorrowful song that basically ends the series.
    P.S. DoC is apparently not a very good game, oh, and it's a third person shooter/FPS. But.... yeah.
    [/b]

Hmm, upon reading that DoC isn't a very good game I just had to see it for myself. Well, results were quite.. contradictory. From what I've read for a TPS/FPS game with the Final Fantasy name engraved on it, it IS quite good. I will quote a certain statement I've read, which source I will not reveal here (I will if you ask me with a PM though).

Though Dirge of Cerberus is an action game, it's got plenty of story sequences, and the story seems full of surprises. Early on, we met yet another familiar face from Final Fantasy VII (an animal face that doesn't belong to Red XIII, if you want a big hint), and the game also features an appearance by Japanese pop star Gackt (who incidentally was the inspiration for FFVIII's main character, Squall). We're curious to see if Gackt makes the cut for the US version of Dirge of Cerberus, which is coming this summer. The whole game looks good, so far. Cutscenes rendered using the game engine are frequent and impressively choreographed, offering up lots of shots of Vincent looking sullen or Vincent looking cool.[/b]

Still, I know that it will depend on peoples tastes to say if it's a good game or not for them. So far, I've liked the concept of the game and am looking forward towards it's release.

• I happen to be a part of a rather large forum (Gaming Age Forums) that has quite a few people that live in Japan and have actually played the game. These are people that have different opinions on many games, but they all agree that DoC is a really average, at best, game.

Don't let me deter you from owning the game, though... By all means, try it out for youself. Just note that 400k copies sold in Japan (about 1/4 normal FF sales) and that within a week, there were tons of used copies going for 1200yen apiece (normally 8900 yen new).

I'll be buying the game, because I will own all of the Compilation of FF7 games, but that doesn't mean it is going to be a good game. Maybe you'll like the game.... just saying that I have read nothing good coming from places I trust.
  • has anyone here imported dirge of cerebrus ?