What Do You Want To See In Your Games?
  • What do want to see improve in your games that you play? This is a wish list of sorts, not to add to any game in particular, just the games you play in general.

I love playing Black. Why? Sure it has lots of guns, shooting, killing, blowing s*!t up, awesome large levels and a good challenge. But probably the main reason I get so involved with it is the very realistic voice acting. I mean when one of your teammates shouts over the radio... "Get me some f^*&ing cover fire, now!' or "How do you expect to get by all those swinging d!cks." and your response "By asking politely, how the f^*& do you think?" You seem to take notice right away. Somebody actually put some thought into this it seems, it would seem that the sound team actually sat down and put some thought into what these Black Ops might say in the heat of battle. I would love to see more realistic voice acting like this in the games that I play. Don't get me wrong, the voice acting in Metal Gear Solid 3 was superb but never really felt... real. It felt like I listening to my character, Black seems to make me feel like I am the character.

Well that is my two cents, you got a couple to throw in?

• I don't have any changes I'd like to see in the games I've got and I'll agree with Rex...... In Black you actually feel like it's you. Not many (if any) titles effects are anywhere as near as brilliant.

One thing I would like to see tho is a continuous saving system. Sometimes I want to stop playing but have to continue the the next check point or switch off and loose everything I've just done. Ok generaly the checkpoints are placed at good times but inevitibly I need to stop playing just at the wrong times.
  • I agree, more reality in games is a must, games are about putting you in a situation that you would most likely never be in, and you want that to feel as real as possible. Sound is definently a big thing in games, thats why I never liked backing tracks for shooters and sometimes RPG's however the FF series backing tracks werent so bad. Ultimately this is going to come down to how real the game can get, which invevitabley leads back into that age old dream of super realistic VR gaming, one day people, one day. I agree that open save's are a good idea, I cant tell you how many times I have gotten into fights with my (ex) girlfriend/ mum/ other people about getting off the game but I cant save! Gr, Im sure its a common problem. Now there is roughly six cents in this topic. :P
  • Thought resident evil 4 was fantastic!! The little attack thingys were you hit the button sequence were great and the shop (welcome stranger) were good!

I love games with a story and a bit of suspense (Resi, silent hill etc) I know black had tiff and my dad beaten for ages!!!!!
  • QUOTE(oddish182000 @ May 9 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]62601[/snapback]

I love games with a story and a bit of suspense (Resi, silent hill etc) I know black had tiff and my dad beaten for ages!!!!!
    [/b]

Black!!! the controller had bloody teeth marks in it from the last level! :blink:
  • Yeah - had to relay messages between him and my dad on the phone!!
  • Several things go into my ratings of a game.

I do want to feel potentially threatened by the villian. If I am playing a game and all the villan is is a man in a little black cloak that runs around causing destruction for no reason it annoys me and will thus, cause me to turn off the game. I will not play a game where I don't have a substansial villan.

Music is a good thing. If there is good music I will probably play it.

Number one thing that I want to see in games is a good story. I occasionally do play games that are non RPG's when I get angry (like Tekken or Dance Dance Revolution) but typically a game that I could spend hours on would be an RPG with a good story.

Now I'm sure you folks understand why I like RPGs best.

Don't know anything about Black, but I suppose that'll be a title I'll have to look at once I get my PS2. :)
  • For me, it's all about playability. I want a game where a year down the line - I'll still love opening it up to play it, I've only had that with two games, Championship Manager 01/02 for the PC, and ISS Pro Evolution Soccer, whichever version is the latest - at the moment it's number 5 and I just LOVE it. Back in the day, WWF Smackdown was also great fun and was playing for months after I purchased it. I can't really pin down exactly what it is about the games, obviously it helps that I love football (and did with wrestling) so can get more into it but there's been other football games, like FIFA and LMA manager which I got bored of easily.
  • I agree with Red - RPGs with plots! It would be too much to ask that that devs actually get some idea of how RPGs actually work, so they could at least come up with some original storylines.

Multiplayer games....on the same screen. I loathe split screens with a vengeance but can just about put up with them for two players. Any more than that and it's a nightmare. Trying to play Timesplitters3 with four people is frustrating to say the least. I understand the constraints of having more than one player on the same screen but it's about time they were resolved!

Playability - remember when Tomb Raider took weeks to complete? Now it takes hours. Thank you, Sony Corp. Games are far too short now and it all comes down to money. Publishers aren't particularly interested in whether we, the gamer will get good value or loads of enjoyment out of a game, they are interested in a fast return for their investment. And now since Sony set the criteria for game length, publishers can get away with commissioning much shorter games.

Immersion - I want to be completely absorbed in a game. I want to suddenly realise I have been playing for 16 hours solid and not eaten, been to the loo or even moved from my chair......and not even noticed. Ico was the last game this happened with. Unfortunately, that took me less than 16 hours to complete!

Challenging - I want puzzles where I have to use my brain. The Myst series is great for this but at times it is illogical. The puzzles have to make sense, not be so obscure that one has no hope of solving them without the aid of a guide or walkthrough. I want to be able to look at a puzzle or challenge, scratch my head a bit, try a few things and then for the light to dawn! I don't want to look at it and see the solution within five seconds (yes, Lara I'm talking about you again!).

Action - I'm not big on massive amounts of action. OK Timesplitters in arcade mode would be rather pants without it, as would FPSs but in the average adventure game I don't want my character killed off every 15 minutes because the devs have used shoot outs as fillers.

Music - Not really fussed to be honest. I've only ever played one game that I detested the music so much that it completely detracted from the game and that was San Andreas. Generally I find the music works well with the game and if I get fed up with it, I simply switch it off from the optons screen and play a CD.

Fun - I play games for amusement, not to get angry and frustrated. I don't pay good money to massage the egos of devs who think it is clever to make a game so difficult that people can't finish it. I want to feel a sense of achievement at the end of the game; to feel something has been resolved - closure. I don't want to feel that I could have played it with my eyes closed, nor that there was someone with a gun to my head, forcing me to endure it to the bitter end. I want to enjoy myself when I play. I've long since decided that life is too short to sit for hours trying to complete an impossible task/boss fight/whatever.

Looks - not hugely important. I don't mind clunky graphics if the game is good. I still play PSX games from time to time (ditto N64). In fact, I'd love to see games such as Syphon Filter (the first couple) and Tomb Raider (1-5) re-done for the PS2/3 but keeping the same gameplay, length and storylines.

So in a nutshell; good story, solid gameplay, decent length and something that is cerebrally challenging. :D
  • QUOTE(Mistress Lola @ May 18 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]63391[/snapback]

Playability - remember when Tomb Raider took weeks to complete? Now it takes hours. Thank you, Sony Corp. Games are far too short now and it all comes down to money. Publishers aren't particularly interested in whether we, the gamer will get good value or loads of enjoyment out of a game, they are interested in a fast return for their investment. And now since Sony set the criteria for game length, publishers can get away with commissioning much shorter games.
    [/b]

I agree totally..... The last 2 games I've bought (Tomb Raider & Rogue Trooper) have been really good but man they're over in a flash ! Was totally loving Rogue T and then there it was, over :(

I don't think I'm getting any better at playing, actually I'm convinced my reflexes are getting slower so it must definitly be that the games are getting shorter and shorter...... Bring back the likes of Syphon Filter 2 which seemed to go on forever :notworthy:
  • Well, most of my bases have been covered by now.

The playability/time factor is a big one for me. I have long been complaining about the games getting shorter and shorter, not to mention losing any substance they might have had.

As Red mentioned, the story's a big part of it; if I don't have a storyline to go with, a lot of games are just unworthy of playing. Given, I play fighting games and the like, but even with those, I like to have a good story mode with a story to go with each character.

That leads me into my BIGGEST requirement for a game; characters. As a guy who has considered both psychology and creative writing as majors for college, I'm a sucker for well-thought-out or just plain cool characters. It's always fun to delve into a character's psyche and watch things play out in the game according to their choices.

Music is in there, too, but it's not so much a requirement as a bonus. Bad music can ruin a game, but I don't require masterpieces.

Interface is just like music. A bad interface or clunky controls can slay a beautiful or intriguing game's gameplay, while smooth controls on a game that could be hard to put controls on (A la the Armored Core series) can make games great.

Hope that all made sense!
  • I dont care about playability so much, I spend my money on the game and I expect to get a few hundred hours of it before I put it down and don't pick it up again for a while.

I've been playing Doom 3 recently, and what I've noticed is that I enjoy being scared :pooh:less. Who would have thought, but that is the aspect that just keeps me coming back for more, whether its creeping through hallways scared and freaked out, or charging through blasting my gun while screaming my head off... I love it.

To really think about it more I thought about games that I played for hours, and also games that I enjoy the most. There are several factors that these games had that I assumed were the reasons I loved them.

Detailed Plots
    Character Modification/ Personalisation (Like the KOTOR series)
    Extreme Difficulty (I like a challenge)
    Decent Graphics
    Great Audio Tracks / FX

If a game has all of or at least two of these than I am happy. :)

• QUOTE(Lethal STAFF @ May 20 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]63480[/snapback]

I've been playing Doom 3 recently, and what I've noticed is that I enjoy being scared :pooh:less. Who would have thought, but that is the aspect that just keeps me coming back for more, whether its creeping through hallways scared and freaked out, or charging through blasting my gun while screaming my head off... I love it.
    [/b]

DooM 3 scared the pants off me!! Well I was playing it with the lights off & 5.1 on full blast. I also bought the ZBoard keyboard pad placement for the game & made it more playable, it controlled spot on.

Quake 4 was short lived, but had the D3 effect on me. seen too much of Halo, Half Life & U.T. mixed in with it

Half-Life 2 was spot on for graphics, gameplay, A.I. and OOOOOOoooooo factor but was let down by the Story line & time to take to complete, plus what was up with that whole ending???

The major factor of games for me is Gameplay (controls & response) Longivity, Plotline (if action/adventure) Graphics, & anything thats different (Eyetoy, Buzz!, Sing Star & Guitar Hero)
  • I like playing games that give you a bonus once you beat it. Some games do this in the form of cheats, others let you replay the game with a funny character different costume... I really don't care what it is, I just want a reward for beating a game. The medal of honor games for gamecube that I've played have cheats in them, but I just recently beat MOH European Assault and I got nothing! Absolutely nothing! I was like, ok I beat it now, now what? There was no reason for me to go back and keep playing or anything.

I like to feel a sense of accomplishment when I beat a game, and being rewarded just makes me feel like I got an exclusive feature to a game.

Plus, it's fun. I like cheats where guns shoot photon beams and such. And I like it when they give you bonuses like the original game that came out on two or three systems ago. Like Metroid Prime did.
  • QUOTE(davethegamer @ May 22 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]63656[/snapback]

I like playing games that give you a bonus once you beat it. [/b]

Silver weapons when you finish BLACK on normal...... Say helo to mi leedle friend.... bam bam bam bam bam :notworthy: